Get to Know WAGIG better

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Get to Know WAGIG better

Post by lundysd »

I would definitely suggest attending one of the free gas management seminars Brian (Bdub) puts on -- he's a heckuva instructor, and almost everyone finds the session useful. That being said, I would in a nutshell:

1. Learn to calculate your SAC rate and determine how much gas you breathe above water in a given amount of time.

2. Plan your dive with a particular depth in mind and learn how to take your SAC rate and apply it to varying depths -- this will tell you how long you can stay at a particular depth and how much gas you will breathe per minute

3. Learn to calculate your rock bottom pressure for a given depth/time/cylinder. This is the minimum amount of gas you will need to reach the surface in an emergency.

The net result of learning to do these simple calculations is that you can accurately plan how much gas you will use and should end the dive with, instead of using the standard "500 psi" which could last 1 minute or 10 minutes depending on your depth and stress level.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

CaptnJack wrote:7 to 10mins left?
What is that in cf? or in psi? (but what size tank)
Well i will be with al80 tank.
Unknown at this time what 7-10 min of air for me is...will only know that with more diving...so until then exit water with 500psi...
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

coulterboy wrote:
BDub wrote:
WaGigKpn wrote:
That's great that you want to practice handling OOG scenarios. Any plans for preventing having to perform those skills in real life?
Well i plan on going in with a full tank of air and have my gear properly serviced and cared for if that what your talking about. I will look into some kind of pony tank as well. I will dive with a buddy when possible!
Well that's certainly a good start.

I'm wondering more about this, though....
WaGigKpn wrote: -Able to calculate gas reserve- to start i will have to play this very conservative until i have a few dives under my belt so i can gauge my rate of air use. So to start im heading in with plenty of air left.
Having the training and ability to handle emergencies is great. I prefer to prevent them from happening in the first place.

What is your plan that will allow you to gauge your rate of air use? How will you determine how much you use, and how will you apply that to your dive planning?
Brian,

Looks like he could really learn a lot from your "Gas Management Seminar", of which, I really enjoyed.

Tom
:supz:

Thanks, buddy! I'm glad you liked it.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

WaGigKpn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:7 to 10mins left?
What is that in cf? or in psi? (but what size tank)
Unknown at this time what 7-10 min of air for me is...will only know that with more diving...so until then exit water with 500psi...
Ok, my .02....

Your profile says you have 10 dives. You've also mentioned in a previous post that you dived in Hood Canal prior to being certified.

We all make mistakes underwater. I still do (shocking, I know)! We usually laugh at them, and we (me and my buddies) learn a ton from each one. However, I have the training and experience and buddies to get me out of those situations not only because of the underwater skills, but the knowledge to properly plan and execute the dives, as well as knowing when not to do a dive.

The first thing you need to do is realize at 10 dives, you don't know crap...really. And in case you're thinking that you agree that most people don't know crap at 10 dives, but you have natural comfort in the water, etc etc etc....you've already proven you have no idea what you're doing. And again, learning on the internet is definitely not the ideal way to learn, nor is this stuff you want to learn by trial and error, solo.

You've stated that taking a class that costs more than $20 is not worth it to you. Fair enough.

Then my suggestion is to find some experienced buddies and don't even think about solo diving for 100 dives. Put it out of your mind. You have no business even discussing it at this point. Find some mentors, make some mistakes where you have some experienced buddies to save your ass, and then laugh and learn from them, because if you make those same mistakes by yourself, chances are good you won't be laughing at them later, if you're even able to.
Last edited by BDub on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

[
Unknown at this time what 7-10 min of air for me is...will only know that with more diving...so until then exit water with 500psi...[/quote]

... So you won't know when you will run out of air until you do? That in a nutshell is the reason we all feel so passionate about planning your gas - you can predict it and plan for it!!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

CaptnJack wrote:Kpn will get along with Cory just great.
Uh...
Jaksonbrown wrote:
WaGigKpn wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Ummm.... Your first dive in years? Rent or borrow a BC, Reg? No offense, but I think that you may need to take a refresher course and brush up on some of your skills prior to doing a low vis, somewhat strenious dive as your comeback to diving after years of being off.
I have had the unfortunate please of being in on pulling a diver off the ocean floor who had just taken her first dive after being out for years. I dont care to relive that experience again, ever.
I can suggest several great instructors who would be happy to get you back in the water though.... Once that is done.. heck yea.. drop me a line and lets go diving!

No prob. I will just dive solo. Hope i make it! :partyman:
So do I. Good luck with that.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Fishstiq wrote:
Uh...
Jaksonbrown wrote:
WaGigKpn wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:Ummm.... Your first dive in years? Rent or borrow a BC, Reg? No offense, but I think that you may need to take a refresher course and brush up on some of your skills prior to doing a low vis, somewhat strenious dive as your comeback to diving after years of being off.
I have had the unfortunate please of being in on pulling a diver off the ocean floor who had just taken her first dive after being out for years. I dont care to relive that experience again, ever.
I can suggest several great instructors who would be happy to get you back in the water though.... Once that is done.. heck yea.. drop me a line and lets go diving!

I know, saw that after the fact. My worldview, crushed :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Thanks for the conversation. Its becoming clear that my original intent for this post is lost...

There is just so much i want to say but cant do it on a forum through type. After re reading my first post i should edit to say first dive instead of first solo dive. Thats my mistake...

Never did i say i know everything, that's part of the reason for this post. to say what i think i know, treat that as a base and then be told where i am flawed so i can change. no where have i disagreed other than paying money for more training which is something i will look into before i start soloing.

everything i say and know is subject to change with input from others which is why i put my safety prep at the beginning was so i could get input.

Due to input i will not be diving solo for a long time, however it is still my goal. thanks. you set me straight.
I already Pm'd dbub asking when the next gas management seminar is.
I am looking into pony tanks.

Not looking to learn how to dive from scratch on a forum, but looking for info that someone would learn from diving 100's times. The more i can learn out of the water the better prepared i will be in the water.

Like i said, i wish people could get to know me and i worry that more damage than good has been done here and that's my fault.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OK, Voice of reason speaking here. First I won't jump down your throat for anything you said. I solo dive allot and probably still do things that would alarm some of the people on the board. I don't subscribe to any of the radical disciplines so I am speaking as a person who made allot of mistakes along the way and who started out thinking I could learn it all in OW class and once certified I was good to go.. (most people do) For us in the NW getting certified in Hawaii is like saying I got my flight training through Microsoft. At 10 dives you shouldn't even consider going in the water without an experienced buddy. What can you learn from diving that you can't from asking questions? EVERYTHING! Everything you learn above water is theory. It's like saying it takes a six pack to be drunk. I know people that can get drunk on 2 cans and others that can drink a pony pack. No one, and do mean no one, can say how they will react in a crunch situation much less underwater. Panic knows no reason. We all think we are Mr control and can handle anything. The sad truth is you won't know until that situation arrives but the more experience and training you have the better your chances of an acceptable outcome.

Most of the comments you have gotten so far have come from very experienced northwest instructors. these guys work with students all the time here in the northwest. We have some of the most difficult diving conditions here that you will experiance anywhere.

So enough talk, If you are looking into a pony, nothing less than a 30 cf and use a full reg settup not a cheapo unit with one of those funky little button pressure gages. If your diving a 80cu aluminum tank I wouldn't do any deeper than 60 fsw. Do your turn at a half tank and plan to reach shore with 1000 psi and that's on a 60 foot or less dive in a non current site. You may be a strong swimmer but plan to not have to prove it. Swimming on the surface in full gear is not like doing laps in a pool. Underwater current can burn through 2 to 3 times your normal SAT rate and water is one of the most powerful forces on earth.

I will probably get flak for some of these figures but it's a base to start from.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Darwin award?? :smt064
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

WaGigKpn, you've taken quite a beating here, but please realize that most of it is due to the fact that we have a lot of divers here who have seen accidents, or in my case, even been involved in trying to resuscitate a personal friend. It changes the way you think . . .

At any rate, you seem to have been pretty receptive to the (probably unexpected) feedback you've gotten here, and I like that. I don't know where in the Puget Sound area you are, but if you would like to meet up some day for a dive, I'd be happy to play "big buddy" for a day. I benefited a great deal from mentorship, when I was first diving. I like to pay that forward.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:
Uh...
Smartest thing he's ever said.......
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

WaGigKpn wrote:...

Not looking to learn how to dive from scratch on a forum, but looking for info that someone would learn from diving 100's times...
*dive with experienced divers*
...and buy them beer afterwards.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Pm sent.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Fishstiq wrote:
Uh...
Jaksonbrown wrote:
WaGigKpn wrote:

Richard, Im just curious....

We have only met once...4 years ago. We have never been in the water together....ever. I have been off this board for over two years.... Yet you have this opinion of me and feel the need to voice it? Why would you do that?

Seems like that is a violation of Rule # 1 here on the board....
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

LCF wrote:WaGigKpn, you've taken quite a beating here, but please realize that most of it is due to the fact that we have a lot of divers here who have seen accidents, or in my case, even been involved in trying to resuscitate a personal friend. It changes the way you think . . .

At any rate, you seem to have been pretty receptive to the (probably unexpected) feedback you've gotten here, and I like that. I don't know where in the Puget Sound area you are, but if you would like to meet up some day for a dive, I'd be happy to play "big buddy" for a day. I benefited a great deal from mentorship, when I was first diving. I like to pay that forward.
You should take up this great lady's offer. She is the reason my darlin wife is the diver she is today. My wife was struggling and on the verge of quitting altogether. Lynn got her back on track, and she has become my best dive buddy since. Take this offer up!
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

I suggest we let this thread die off now. The OP has gotten a lot of advice, probably unexpected, by concerned divers so this thread is over. If anyone has issues take it to PM.....
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

WaGigKpn,

Welcome to NWDC. One of the primary purposes of this forum is to connect people new to diving or the area with local dive buddies, instructors, dive shops, charters and so on. Posting questions to this board and then trying to pick some wisdom out of the replies is not a substitute for proper dive training from a certified instructor, or the experience gained by doing open water dives with good dive buddies. I kindly suggest that you take some of these folks here up on their offer to go out on a dive. You'll learn a lot more that way, and you'll make some new friends.

Hope to see you around,

Calvin