Dive Accident at Keystone today

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Dive Accident at Keystone today

Post by kdupreez »

after our second dive we were having BBQ lunch when another group doing a rescue class had a diver have problems and go unconscious, they rescued her to the shore and signalled for help.

We rushed over and EMT's were dispatched.

She was unconscious, not breathing and no pulse.

we did the best we could till EMT got there. I was in rescue breathing and Doug and Another person on chest compressions, Lynne helped clear airway and vomit and manage situation... The O2 kits on site had no ventilation capability, I had to swag O2 and do mouth to mouth like that. everyone did an outstanding job.

felt like eternity till EMT's arrived!

the ambulance left a little bit ago at that point there was still no Pulse or breathing.

Really hope things go well for her.

I don't know who she was.

I'll post more later when I collected thoughts and emotions a little..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Dive Accident at Keystone today

Post by Norris »

Yikes..that is terrible. Great job on the first aid

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Wow, that hit the news fast
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
DeepBloo
Getting To Know Folks

Post by DeepBloo »

Koos, its a good thing you and your crew were there no matter how it turns out. She could not have had a better chance otherwise. I hope in collecting your thoughts the demons do not haunt you guys as they do me. God bless to all those involved and my prayers are with the victim, family and friends.
Fritz
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Despite the fact that things didnt look good for her, I think the rescue attempt was handled very well. Huge appreciation for those who got right in the thick of it. I dont think it could have been a better crowd who happened to be there at the time, in terms of experience, size, and manpower. But what do I know, that was my first time being at one. So from a newbie's perspective, it all seemed to be handled well. I know I learned a lot. It's just sad that it had to come at someone else's expense =/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow... Kudos to all who jumped in, and thoughts and prayers are with the victim and those who love her.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow, The odds couldn't have been more in her favor. A member of a rescue class, Having the whole GUE crowd there including an emergency room doctor? We all know she got all the best help available at a fairly remote site. Sure hope they were able to restart her but it doesn't sound good.

All you guys that were there, You did everything possible. We can only hope and prey for a miracle.

Thanks for being there guys.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Just wanted to add that, according to information we got, the victim was never underwater. She became unwell on the surface and was towed to shore. It was amazing how quickly and effectively the shore group responded, and it was absolutely amazing that we had THREE O2 kits, including two with ambu bags, among us. Having the manpower to help carry her up the paths to the ambulance was wonderful, too.

We did see a Lifeflight helicopter which appeared to be headed for Whidbey General an hour or so later, so I'm hoping that means she came back enough to be sent to Seattle.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The rescue class sure got more than they bargained for. Then again they got to see how it really goes in a real emergency. Only most aren't lucky to have all you highly trained and experienced people around like that.

Thanks again for the amazing work you guys did.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I can't imagine being in a rescue course and having this happen to someone that you'd been sitting through the lectures with. I know its bad enough as a bystander or someone involved in the rescue, but I can't imagine what its like for the students and instructor in the course. I hope they restarted her and she caught a ticket on that helicopter ride and pulls through for her and her families sake...
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Ginormous kudos to everyone who stepped in, especially to Koos, Doug, and Lynne, for not only handling things in a highly professional manner but for demonstrating a level of caring that often is forgotten in stress-filled situations like this one.

You guys rock. Thanks for what you did today.
Laurynn :)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

lamont wrote:I can't imagine being in a rescue course and having this happen to someone that you'd been sitting through the lectures with. I know its bad enough as a bystander or someone involved in the rescue, but I can't imagine what its like for the students and instructor in the course. I hope they restarted her and she caught a ticket on that helicopter ride and pulls through for her and her families sake...
Completely agree! It was heart wrenching, after its all said and done, step back and see the significant others and her close friends/dive buddies stand there with blank stares and teary eyes as the paramedics took over. I cant imagine their state of mind and emotions.

I really really really wish the best for her, her family and friends and cannot imagine the trauma they have experienced and what they are going through tonight as we all are back in our cushy homes.

We did what any reasonable "rescue" trained person on this board would have done for a fellow diver and as so many have done before us.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I don't know the diver involved in the accident, but thank you all very much for your selfless action.
You came to "my" island to dive and bbq and ended up hopefully saving a life.
THANK YOU !!!
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

We will probably never know. Hospitals are pretty tight lipped now days and the news people don't tend to do follow ups.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The northwest diving community is not so big... hopefully someone will update the folks who did their best to help out in a dire situation as it helps bring closure.

Best case the medivac was for her and she'll be able to thank her rescuers herself down the road.

Diving incidents break my heart, for the victim, their loved ones, the instructor, co-students and the rescuers. No one should have to go through that.
----
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I am really proud of the way the team managed this incident. Everyone immediately jumped in to help and, more importantly, everyone stuck with their "assigned duty" so to speak. In an incident like this, no job is more important than another - they're all necessary. The job of standing over the gear is just as important as the job of doing CPR. If there is a silver lining to be had, it was the opportunity to work together for a common goal and the recognition of what can be accomplished when you do.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Well said Doug.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sounder wrote:I am really proud of the way the team managed this incident. Everyone immediately jumped in to help and, more importantly, everyone stuck with their "assigned duty" so to speak. In an incident like this, no job is more important than another - they're all necessary. The job of standing over the gear is just as important as the job of doing CPR. If there is a silver lining to be had, it was the opportunity to work together for a common goal and the recognition of what can be accomplished when you do.
:thumb3d: :goodpost:
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I don't know what to say, except thank you to Doug, Lynne, Koos, and all of the GUE divers for being not only skilled and well-prepared, but wiling to respond. I know it isn't easy. I will echo everyone else that it was an outstanding demonstration of teamwork. Please pass along to the other divers not on this board that I am thinking of them.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

there is a little bit more info posted at Scubaboard.

Her name is Deb.
Her dive buddy posted.
She is at HMC, in ICU on ventilator.
----
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

ljjames wrote:there is a little bit more info posted at Scubaboard.
The thread on SB is here. If the post is accurate the buddy was from Eastern Washington and the instructor was named Gene.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks Laura, That's good news. At least she is still with us. I prey that she makes a full recovery. As stated earlier our little community is very close knit and we all hurt when one of our kindred is suffering.

To Koo's, Lynn and all the other NWDC members, WAY TO GO! You rock! :notworthy:

To her and all her family, friends and all those in the dive class and the people here who did such a wonderful job, You are in our thoughts and prayers.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

She is in HMC in the ICU.

The Family has NOT identified her yet, so I would ask the people here to please refrain from doing so until they family have decided on what they like to do.

I know who she is and have spoken to the dive shop and would appreciate non disclosure of personal information until such a time that the family feels OK to release it.

If you have any specific questions on the event, I'd be happy to oblige through PM. As I am sure Doug and Lynne would be too.

Thoughts go out to her and her family and friends and crossing all my fingers and toes that she pulls through!

I can not say thank you enough to Doug and Lynne and the rest of the crew for the swift response and controlling the situation.

K
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Post by aadolfi »

A couple of people have stated that this happened during a rescue class, and this was our impressions while responding on site, however I am starting to think that this was a basic OW class. First, all of them were in wetsuits with fairly similar equipment and only gauges, no computers which makes me think rental/class equipment. The dive buddy said it happened during a tow which is done as part of an open water class as well. Finally what clinches it for me was that the buddy posted on SB "My first dive and we never even made it under the water". If anyone else has info/thoughts one way or another please let us know.
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!