Undergarment questions

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Undergarment questions

Post by Nwcid »

So right now I am diving an older Whites Bi-lam dry suit with what I would call a medium weight fleece liner. A thicker one came with the suit but had shrunk in the wash and does not fit me. I have been wearing thermal poly-pro under that and have been warm enough. When we have done double dives in the sound I wished I had a little bit more warmth though.

I just scored a Bare TRILAM ATR HD drysuit that has all new valves, zipper, seals and a pee valve. The suit comes with a Bare T100 undergarment. In the descriptions it sounds like this is a fairly light weight liner. I was wondering how that will compare with what I have now and if it is going to be warm enough for diving in 40* water.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Undergarment questions

Post by Jeff Pack »

You can always wear stuff underneath, for example I use the UA Compression, then layer a UA BaseLayer 3.0, then my Whites Thermal Fusion.(Whites Fusion Suit).
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

One word weezle thats all u need :penelope:
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I had planned on layering. Was just wondering how it might compare.

While I have heard of Weezle did you not see the part where I spent my $$$ on a new suit. At some point I will try to upgrade but not in it right now since I also bought 2 HP-130's he also had.
John

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

bucknaked wrote:One word weezle thats all u need :penelope:
Plus a million. PM John Rawlings on the board for a looksee and a quote.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I have the T200 that I use with my compressed neoprene suit. It's fine for local waters although I get a little cold in the winter. I can't imagine that the 100 with a shell suit would be very warm. Bare has charts on their website for recommended temperature ranges for suit/undergarment pairings.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Have you researched about the USIA undergarments. I use an Exotherm and I feel very comfortable diving with it even on 2 tank dives. I dive with a Diving Concepts Z-Flex (used more than the Apollo) and an Apollo drysuit. I agree, if you feel cold with your current undergarment, just layer up, as long as it doesn't restrict your mobility.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thank you for the replies. I will look at Bare's chart.

I dont know if I am cold or not, I have not got the suit yet (not for a month till I make it over to get it). I am not looking for what is the best or even a new garment now, I am looking how it might compare to what I have now.
John

Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I used to use a USIA garment but it was pretty thin. I got ahold of a Bare 200 and its overkill for the waters here IMHO but I like it- plenty warm. It is a lot thicker/stiffer tho so restricts movement a bit. I used to layer the USIA with warm stuff but be aware, it will change your buoyancy characteristics depending on what you use. Many folks love their Weezles...I would like to get one someday.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm pretty sure it will be lighter. 100 is pretty lightweight stuff. We use 200 for Southern California, temps in the high 50's. You'll definitely need to layer.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

bucknaked wrote:One word weezle thats all u need :penelope:

Great product at a reasonable price.... but.. make absolutely sure it fits you. Not sorta close, but a true fit. This stuff is warm because like all thermal undergarments that work, it is thick enough, when lofted, to insulate you adequately. Extra material in a Weezle is equal to more ballast to sink it.

Jerry
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the replies.

I will look at a Weezle. I would have sooner but I know I didnt have enough extra room in my old suit for much more then I had. Now that I just dumped $$$ on tanks and the new suit it will be a little bit before I can look at a new garment.
John