Food, and BEER! Soon at Cove 2

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Food, and BEER! Soon at Cove 2

Post by Penopolypants »

An update on the facilities at Cove 2, including a model of the new interior:

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/09/west ... food-notes

Marination is pairing up with Big Al's brewing to make a beer specifically for them. I for one am looking forward to washing down a pork torta with an ice cold beer after a nice dive or three at Ye Olde Cove 2. They do not have a specific opening date yet, but are looking at late September.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Food, and BEER! Soon at Cove 2

Post by Norris »

Penopolypants wrote:An update on the facilities at Cove 2, including a model of the new interior:

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/09/west ... food-notes

Marination is pairing up with Big Al's brewing to make a beer specifically for them. I for one am looking forward to washing down a pork torta with an ice cold beer after a nice dive or three at Ye Olde Cove 2. They do not have a specific opening date yet, but are looking at late September.
Inside floorplan looks similar. That will be a nice addition...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Doesn't sound like anything I'd be excited about. Pretty disappointing replacement from my point of view. and probably on the pricy side. Not at all what I would feature for the Scuba/fishermen/commuters. Sounds like it's aimed more at the dinner crowd and I'm not really sure they can pull in that much outside business with the crowded parking and all the scuba traffic.

I foresee possible conflicts in the future as to the parking and such. :stir: :popcorn:
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

Stoked. Marination rocks!
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Their prices are much less than the fish and chips place, and their food is so frickin' good!....mmm.....

They're wildly popular at their other brick and mortar place in Seattle. I think they will do well. Which will mean conflicts with parking, I'm sure. They're pretty much an in and out type place, though, so hopefully it won't be too bad.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

A malt-forward brown ale doesn't sound bad at all!

Yeah, my big hope is that they don't do so well as a restaurant that one can't get in there to get some food and warm up after diving.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Stopped by today after I had to bail on diving. I can confirm that their food is outstanding, along with their beer selection! I ordered a Lucille before I remembered that they have their own beer. I guess I'll just have to go back! They also have a bathroom in the restaurant, separate from the outdoor set. A nice reason to go in and buy something!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

And full bar too

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Lucille?! That's awesome!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Penopolypants wrote:Their prices are much less than the fish and chips place, and their food is so frickin' good!....mmm.....

They're wildly popular at their other brick and mortar place in Seattle. I think they will do well. Which will mean conflicts with parking, I'm sure. They're pretty much an in and out type place, though, so hopefully it won't be too bad.
Actually I did not find their prices to be less when you look at equivalent hunger management. I went there with my brother last weekend, and kind of expected it to be a bit cheaper given all the reviews. You can easily drop 20-30 bucks for two people because although the prices "look" totally cheap at the outset, they are single slider/taco. Once glance at the drinks menu also revealed rather high prices for the venue.

I guess it depends on what you'd buy at the fish and chips place, but we usually got things like chowder, half a salad with shrimpies (the whole was WAAAY to big) a cup of coco and maybe some fries to share with the table or a scoop of ice cream. I never found myself going back to order more food because i was still hungry.

On the bright side, they did hire Denise on, so it was great to see her again. No Yvonne tho.

Its just a completely different 'feel', and its what we've got to work with, so we might as well buck up and roll with it :)

If you don't like their style of food, the bubble tea replacement has some more traditional noms, cookies/scones/etc.. organic sandwiches, juice bar, coffee and the best.... hot coco !!! :) (or you could always pack a lunch) :P
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

ljjames wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Their prices are much less than the fish and chips place, and their food is so frickin' good!....mmm.....

Actually I did not find their prices to be less when you look at equivalent hunger management. I went there with my brother last weekend, and kind of expected it to be a bit cheaper given all the reviews. You can easily drop 20-30 bucks for two people because although the prices "look" totally cheap at the outset, they are single slider/taco. Once glance at the drinks menu also revealed rather high prices for the venue.

I guess it depends on what you'd buy at the fish and chips place, but we usually got things like chowder, half a salad with shrimpies (the whole was WAAAY to big) a cup of coco and maybe some fries to share with the table or a scoop of ice cream. I never found myself going back to order more food because i was still hungry.

On the bright side, they did hire Denise on, so it was great to see her again. No Yvonne tho.

Its just a completely different 'feel', and its what we've got to work with, so we might as well buck up and roll with it :)

If you don't like their style of food, the bubble tea replacement has some more traditional noms, cookies/scones/etc.. organic sandwiches, juice bar, coffee and the best.... hot coco !!! :) (or you could always pack a lunch) :P
Completely agree on the prices.... While it might be "cheaper" for a a single portion, the portions are tiny. I have eaten there twice (ordered 3 times), and I can easily blow 20-30 bucks for a meal there. The good thing is that they seem to not charge for sales tax.... Even so. Id rather eat at places where you get more bang for your buck, but it is what it is. Food is good, but its the same generic americanized "pacific island" food that you will find at countless restaurants around the country that tend to only last for a few months. I have eaten this exact same food in many many cities. Same decor too. Its like some sort of fad. So I guess what I am trying to say is that the food is decent, not exceptional, and definitely not original. I guess thats my "review" of the place as of now. That being said, I am still going to look forward to eating there after diving!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You know, after this whole dry summer, I'm just very grateful that there is SOMEPLACE you can go inside out of the weather and get something hot to drink, and something to eat. Maybe this isn't going to be the post-dive "burgers and brew" destination, but it's got to be better than nothing, which is what we've had.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:You know, after this whole dry summer, I'm just very grateful that there is SOMEPLACE you can go inside out of the weather and get something hot to drink, and something to eat. Maybe this isn't going to be the post-dive "burgers and brew" destination, but it's got to be better than nothing, which is what we've had.
Agreed. And even though I rarely dive cove 2 any more, I have to give 2 thumbs up to the sketchy biker bar right up the street from there. It's cheap and wonderful.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Supposedly the "Copper Coin" is opening up on California (up that road to top of hill near cove 2) next week! The story says that the guy opening it is from a restaurant running family that also has Red Mill Burgers. It would be great if they open a nice burger joint for post dives that is not a bar and therefor does not practice age discrimination ;) The owner also runs Hills Neighborhood Restaurant up in Shoreline that gets pretty solid reviews on the food.

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/08/copp ... ouse-space
----
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Luna Park serves nice burgers
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Does the new place at Cove 2 not serve minors? That would seem to be a serious miscalculation on their part.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

No, I'm referring to some of the other post dive venues such as the biker bar and Matador. At Marination, I imagine there is specified area for drinks just like in other establishments with food and a 'bar' area or beer garden, but since I pay only half attention to that kind of stuff unless I'm diving with a Minor I honestly did not look very closely.

Agreed that Luna park has awesome food, though I tend to eat their waffles or desserts over burgers... Chocolate or strawberries win every time :)
----
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Only 3 more months until I can stop getting kicked out of The Matador (and Diamond Knot).........
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

1 Aloha slider: $2.50
1 Kimchi fried rice: $4.00
------------------------------
$6.50

I'm pretty full! I like the new place.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

One note though, they haven't quite figured out the demand for the kimchi fried rice, so the portions, AND the price are lower. (They're trying to make the amount of kimchi they have last.) The menu lists $6 + $1.50 for the kimchi fried rice with kalbi beef, but my bill was $4.00. Ordinarily, I wouldn't even need the slider for a full meal there.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

We have always just gone to Elliot Bay Brewpub anyway...great beer, great food, not really that far.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

we frequented Marination the past 2 weeks about 6 or 7 times and pretty much worked through their menu and I can say that the food is freegin delicious!!

prices are very reasonable too and the people are great.

Thus far they are very friendly to divers and we did dive de-briefs and video reviews there, plus some of the old staff is back too.

so its been a very positive experience for me.

thumbs up for their food, service and friendliness.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I have a non food question. Is the AED still there?
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

selkie wrote:I have a non food question. Is the AED still there?
Last I heard it had been stolen
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Mortuus wrote:
selkie wrote:I have a non food question. Is the AED still there?
Last I heard it had been stolen
Sadly, Mortuus is correct.
Kelly