Mikes Beach

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Mikes Beach

Post by Nwcid »

So I got word our Dive Club is planning a dive to Mikes Beach in October.

I got online and read some reviews on the place and all seem quite bad. From condition of the place to the way people were treated. Many said it was better to pay for the diving there and stay elsewhere.

Not sure if we are able to go yet or not. If we do is it worth staying there? Apparently do have onsite air fills but with the described conditions of everything else it makes me question their fill station. Any comments on this?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Mikes Beach

Post by Dusty2 »

Never been there but haven't heard bad things though. It isn't very far from Hoodsport and Dive and they sell excellent air or nitrox or trimix, Glenaire has nice rooms and is close
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

If you don't stay there you will be charged ten bucks to dive.

The place is pretty regularly full, so it can't be too hell-on-earthish.

I have heard from several friends that they will never stay there again even if you pay them.

My one experience wasn't horrible, neither was it rip-roaringly positive.

It will be interesting to see the responses that you get.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I've had very nice accomodations and great diving times there. I especially like the little cabins but some of the other rooms are OK. I'm not a fan of the big dorm room but that's because I'm not 20 anymore and like my privacy.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Mike's Beach is a dive motel in more ways than one. I have stayed at mikes quite a lot. It is not fancy. If you expect a fancy place go some were else.

Mike's has clean simple accommodations. I do not know of anyone who has ever had an issue with the air station. There are two outside showers and a tub for rinsing your gear. If you are a wet suit diver there is a shower room with warm water most of the time (sometimes a large class will use up the warm water).

Mike's is good for groups.

Divers have been going to Mike's beach for 50 years.

The diving is not bad there is a lot of artificial reef kind of like Redondo. There are lots of critters to see. The access to the water is easy.

Here is the thing this place is not a 5 star motel and if you go expecting that you will be disappointed and perhaps be on the internet posting bad reviews.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Some friends and I stayed there for a long weekend this summer and I had the opportunity to see several rooms and cabins. Some are nice enough, having recently been refurbished, others were horrible! What you get will depend on luck of the draw or negotiating with the front desk when you reserve your room.
Last edited by guitarmaker on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

Ron
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I will be getting more details about what the club is doing when I get home this week.
John

FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I have stayed at Mikes a number of times, for classes and just for fun diving.
Never had a problem. The waterfront cabins are certainly the best accommodations.

You can't beat the ease of night diving there and I have run into a very wide range of critters.
Pretty much everything except wolf-eels

Here was a blog report I did about the last time we stayed there for fun diving.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/mikes-beach-resort/
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

We have stayed there many times, since doing our open water dives there in 2003. Like has been said, if you want the Hilton, dont stay here. But if you want the Hilton, dont stay on the Canal! The accomodations are not bad really, have stayed in most of the rooms other than the dorm room. I prefer the cabins also, very quaint and simple, adequate. Mike is very very friendly, a quiet hard working guy. His wife Illiana is all business. If you understand this, you wont have any problems.
If you stay there, ask if you can use their key to flagpole point, one of the best shore dives in the Canal. It is quite a surface swim, but worth it.
We still stay there from time to time, at least once every summer, if we plan on diving flagpole point or Jorstad Creek. Otherwise, you will be staying at Glen Aire (sp), and driving further.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Piling on- the accomodations aren't the fanciest, but the diving is great. I'll add to Jeff's comment about wolfies- I've actually seen them around the resort, but the Flagpole deep reef is just crawling with them. Also,some friends of mine were on a trip earlier this year, and a 6-gill was sighted at the deep platform.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Last time I stayed in the waterfront cabins was about 2001. They were nice enough back then. I'm not a big group kinda guy so I can't imagine staying in the dorm. The outdoor gear rinsing/showers are a plus and I recall getting a 10 fill air card which was reasonably priced. We used his ramp and dove off our own boat though, never been to his reef.

How big is your club?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Again thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

I am guessing there are 15 maybe 20 tops in the club. Based on the the people that usually come out to stuff I would say 4-6 might be going. Plus the GF and I if we decide to go. Again I will have more info this weekend when I get home.
John

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Well we are booked for the night of the 19/20. There are a total of 8 of us going.

If we get in early enough GF and I are planning on doing a night dive. Then after sleeping in on Sat morning doing 2 maybe 3 day dives and another night dive. Sunday getting in one more dive before we have to pack up and head back.

Should be a good weekend. I will post up a review when we get back.
John