Remembering the Al-Ind-Esk-A Sea

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Remembering the Al-Ind-Esk-A Sea

Post by kdupreez »

Nice one Scott and Walter on a cool article!

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201210 ... -Esk-A-Sea
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Remembering the Al-Ind-Esk-A Sea

Post by LCF »

Nice article, and surprisingly accurate for a general news publication.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice article :) very much unlike the nasty wreck :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:Nice article :) very much unlike the nasty wreck :p
+1
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

The poor Al never gets any love. I think I had 5 dives on it before we got lucky and hit it on a day with 20-25' viz. It'sactually a very cool wreck.

You cherry pickers.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:The poor Al never gets any love. I think I had 5 dives on it before we got lucky and hit it on a day with 20-25' viz. It'sactually a very cool wreck.

You cherry pickers.
You can pick the Al's cherry for me all you want. :angelblue:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:The poor Al never gets any love. I think I had 5 dives on it before we got lucky and hit it on a day with 20-25' viz. It'sactually a very cool wreck.

You cherry pickers.
I'm completely at peace with that

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

(Picking stems out of my teeth)

My point is this: if the Al was somewhere else, divers would be lining up to dive her. It's an amazing dive, given the right conditions. On an average day, its......not so great. But we like to use it as a warm up dive for dives like the Governor. Same profile, but no current.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I have not done the Al-Ind-Esk-A Sea, so I cant call her "The Al" yet :)

We dove the Fuller a few weeks back and I thought that was a pretty awesome wreck! (Yeah, can now officially call it "The Fuller".. :) ) Would really not mind going back there a few times!.. Just a PITA with organizing vessel traffic, etc.

We are honestly spoiled with the amazing amount of good wrecks and diving we have up here..

Lake WA and Puget Sound could keep ya busy for a long while.. and there's BC.. my bucket list grows..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Have to agree with Josh. On the right day it is a great dive, & on the wrong day ....well. From my experience typically the conditions are not much different from the deep wrecks in Elliot Bay or Lake Wa. dark, low vis and lots of silt. However your results may vary.
Rob
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

We definitely didn't do it on a "good" day. Vis could be measured in inches, and I can see how it'd be easy to inadvertently end up inside without realizing it. Still, I'm glad we did it though!

My motivation for doing it again just isn't super high is all, when we have so many other awesome wrecks that I'd like to do before revisiting the Al again.

I know people have had some fantastic dives on that wreck.

rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

BDub wrote:We definitely didn't do it on a "good" day. Vis could be measured in inches, and I can see how it'd be easy to inadvertently end up inside without realizing it.
That's the Al. You must have hit an exceptionally bad day. We have had a couple of those. Fortunately those are not the normal conditions. Give it another shot you might be surprised.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

BDub wrote:We definitely didn't do it on a "good" day. Vis could be measured in inches, and I can see how it'd be easy to inadvertently end up inside without realizing it. Still, I'm glad we did it though!

My motivation for doing it again just isn't super high is all, when we have so many other awesome wrecks that I'd like to do before revisiting the Al again.

I know people have had some fantastic dives on that wreck.
And that is when you drop down and go inside the freezer decks that run the full length of the ship. once you are inside you do not have any silt and the further you go in the less silt that you have just as any other wreck. laying on her side makes it a little confusing because you can go up inside and have no out without going deeper again to the main hatches. You can actually see were the fire started when Tommy was cutting the deck out for a new elevator to be put in between decks and the fuel line he hit that no one knew ran thought the area.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

You shoulda been there when she was burning. It was interesting to watch from the helo deck on the USCGC Boutwell.
Actually, I cheered as she went down. I spent way too much time in court over the violations I'd written against that crappy ship. Semper Paratus!
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

RDW wrote:You shoulda been there when she was burning. It was interesting to watch from the helo deck on the USCGC Boutwell.
Actually, I cheered as she went down. I spent way too much time in court over the violations I'd written against that crappy ship. Semper Paratus!
HAHAHA what you did not like the way Ed and the Indians ran the ship :tomnic:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Nice article! Kudos to Scott and Walter. :)

I'm in the camp of liking the Al. My first dive on her was "eh" with no vis. Second dive had pretty good vis. It's fun. And Josh is right, there is no better "workup dive site" for the Gov than the Al.

Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC