Silent World Diving is an innocent bystander!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Silent World Diving is an innocent bystander!

Post by John Rawlings »

TAKE NOTE:

Please, everyone, STOP contacting Silent World Diving and giving them a hard time over the two divers involved. Craig, the owner, wants it made clear to everyone that Silent World really has had no association with the divers involved in the Cove 2 "Octopus incident", but people are STILL calling Silent World thinking they are associated with, do business with, or have some level of influence with them.

Silent World is constantly getting dozens phone calls, emails, and walk-ins who think Silent World somehow is associated with the two octopus collectors at Seacrest. This is NOT how we should treat our friends. The ONLY business that Silent World has done with these guys is a VIP around 5 months ago.

Please cease harrassment of Silent World on this issue! They do not "side" with the divers involved in ANY way and value Cove 2 as much as anyone here. If you contact Silent World, let it be to give them business, not grief for something they have nothing to do with.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Silent World Diving is an innocent bystander!

Post by Norris »

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :thankyouyellow: :thankyouyellow: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

+100
Norris wrote::goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :thankyouyellow: :thankyouyellow: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Had no idea this was happening. I will remove my initial posts which point out the VIP sticker as being from Silent World. Hopefully that will cut back on some of the traffic they get.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Unfortunately, it's already out there, but you just posted the information because that's where we all kind of assumed they got fills. No bad intentions. Some people just took it WAY too far.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Mortuus wrote:Had no idea this was happening. I will remove my initial posts which point out the VIP sticker as being from Silent World. Hopefully that will cut back on some of the traffic they get.

Good idea! Thanks! :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I think Silent World could use a few positive emails and calls perhaps.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

At least buy something while you're in there, people!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow I have never seen something catch fire like this! I guess we know how the diving public feels about this souless soulless critter. 18500 reads already! Amazing. Bet this guy is going to listing dive gear on craigs list soon. He ain't going to be able too show his face at any dive site.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

There has been way too much overreaction going on with this story, and I'm appalled at the direction some of it has taken.

Craig clarified his position shortly after his store was named ... it should have ended there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

there was plenty of info out there early that SW neither condoned, nor supported what happened.

this is sad news to see a dive shop harassed...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

We have enough trouble getting our members to read all of a thread. There were a LOT of guests logged in the last few days, I'm betting many of them didn't take the time to read all 17 pages. People need to calm down a bit before going off an ruining the reputation of a decent shop. We have too few of them around as it is.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Good post! Lots of people are emotional over this issue and absent of logic. I'm sure this will all blow over soon
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I hopped onto their FB page and left them an encouraging note. Maybe a lot of us should do something similar.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sea Goat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sea Goat »

John, you're right to ask people to back off from Silent World, and I'm sure the shop has handled all the inquiries from concerned and upset divers gracefully and professionally. That's how they are.

I do think, however, that we can't ignore the fact that the images and story from the octopus killing at Cove 2 elicited an instinctive and spontaneous primal scream from literally hundreds, if not thousands of diver that has finally abated somewhat after two solid days. Silent World and its staff felt the same way we all did and I don't think they were being blamed in any way for the incident, they were just seen as a connection to these two and the only means for some people to express their outrage and grief over the killing.

I support harvesting and hunting. I don't think that what happened has anything to do with an argument about harvesting and hunting. Using the word "collect" to describe what Dylan and Jake did at Cove 2 is so NOT going to defuse the feelings that people have about it.

Silent World has handled things beautifully and the outpouring is slowing down now. They are not going to lose business or be harmed; in fact, by handling it well, they will probably get more business. I personally plan to stop by and visit the shop and I've never set foot there before.

This whole thing has pulled people together in this community in a way I've never experienced in my eight years of diving, though I heard about the Six Gill incident many years ago having a similar effect. The aftermath is going to result in great things, I think, some that we don't even know about yet. Silent World was simply in the path of the tsunami just like we all were. We've all experienced the upheaval, I just hope they (and the rest of us) realize that much good will come from it, ultimately and already is.

Nice to be part of this community.

Cheers,

Maggie
NWUE Founding Member
GUE Seattle
http://www.GUE-Seattle.org
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Sea Goat wrote:
I support harvesting and hunting. I don't think that what happened has anything to do with an argument about harvesting and hunting. Using the word "collect" to describe what Dylan and Jake did at Cove 2 is so NOT going to defuse the feelings that people have about it.

Cheers,

Maggie
I have a question for you Maggie. How are you going to defuse the feelings of the families of the individuals involved? Do you think people have the right to call their homes, work, extract pics from FB and propagate it worldwide (to my assumption, now that this has gone worldwide)? Even an attempt to run their license plate so that it can be used to extract information about the persons involved? People reacted in their own emotional way, and not the most logical way to react within reason.

Nice to be part of this community.

Yes, it's nice to be a part of this community. On the other hand, I'm ashamed and sick of how people reacted to this issue. Bob's original post was an honest post. It were posts thereafter that elicited an outcry based on emotions, nevertheless, even knowing that there was no law broken. And only to band up together and try to defame and paint a horrible description of the two involved.

I have a question, are the people who inadvertently wrongfully excited the peeps on this board to go overboard in their "Sherlock Holmes" pursuit of investigation going to help Bob in his legal fees, if he seeks one, which he said he will?

I rest my case.

Tom
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Enough is enough. Beating this dead horse will result in another locked thread.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

spatman wrote:Enough is enough. Beating this dead horse will result in another locked thread.
I agree, like I said, I rest my case.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

New member here with a question. Does Silent World have a Facebook page? I looked for it on Facebook but did not find anything. I would like to go tp their page if they have one and leave a thank you note for their support of Cove II.

LowDrag
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

LowDrag wrote:New member here with a question. Does Silent World have a Facebook page? I looked for it on Facebook but did not find anything. I would like to go tp their page if they have one and leave a thank you note for their support of Cove II.

LowDrag
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

BillZ wrote:
LowDrag wrote:New member here with a question. Does Silent World have a Facebook page? I looked for it on Facebook but did not find anything. I would like to go tp their page if they have one and leave a thank you note for their support of Cove II.

LowDrag

Thanks Bill.