History of octo protected status in Hood Canal? NHZ

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ktb
I've Got Gills

History of octo protected status in Hood Canal? NHZ

Post by ktb »

Does anyone know WHY the GPO is completely protected in Hood Canal? Is it because of the low oxygen events?

Please note that I've labeled this as No Hijack Zone please. Thank you!
Kelly
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Re: History of octo protected status in Hood Canal? NHZ

Post by Don-B »

The state closed the Hood Canal about 10 years ago because of the low oxygen and low fish count.
soon after they closed marine areas 6-13 to all rockfish retention( hook and line ,and divers ).

Do not get misled the Hood Canal has no special protection for GPO it is just a CLOSED fishery.
look at the fishing regs.
HakkTW
Avid Diver

Post by HakkTW »

As Don-B said, happened shortly following a low-oxygen event in early September of 2002. I still remember watching everything disappear over the span of about a week in mid-September. First time I ever dove Octopus Hole during the day and found the large female gone from her den at the north end of the wall. All life was gone. Fishery was closed after that.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Doesn't a closed fishery mean they can't be harvested? Or am I not understanding the term correctly?
Kelly
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Hood Canal has lots of restrictions on harvest. The zone is mainly open to those species less impacted by low oxygen, or species in highly productive, popular, managed fisheries (basically crab, shellfish, and salmon). See pages 120-121 of this document http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01384/wdfw01384.pdf Page 131 contains the law on GPO harvest (and you will see than many marine invertebrates contain a line that states "Marine Area 12: Closed" meaning they cannot be harvested from that area at any time)