They Cover Everythign!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

They Cover Everythign!

Post by kitsapdiver »

So I'm going to Mexico over the Thanksgiving week to go diving, in preperation I was reading the State Department Website for travel information, and didn't expect I would find anything that applied to me but found this:

"Rented sports and aquatic equipment may not meet U.S. safety standards or be covered by any accident insurance. Scuba diving equipment may be substandard or defective due to frequent use. Inexperienced scuba divers in particular should beware of dive shops that promise to “certify” you after only a few hours' instruction. There are several hospitals and medical centers with hyperbaric decompression chambers to treat the effects of nitrogen narcosis (commonly referred to as the “bends”) in Mexico. These tend to be in large cities and near tourist destinations where scuba diving is common, such as the Yucatan Peninsula. Please note you will be expected to pay for service up front and likely in cash. Parasailing has killed U.S. citizen tourists who were dragged through palm trees or were slammed into buildings. U.S. citizen tourists have also been killed in jet-ski accidents, especially in group outings when inexperienced guides allowed clients to follow each other too closely. Accidents involving breaking zip-lines have also occurred."

Good thing most the cenotes are exceedingly shallow huh?

And darn I planned on finishing up my certification while I was down there. I was told in 45 minutes we could knock out advanced tri-mix cave scooter diver.
Last edited by kitsapdiver on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: They Cover Everythign!

Post by guitarmaker »

I didn't know getting narced required a chamber ride!
Cheers!

Ron
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

guitarmaker wrote:I didn't know getting narced required a chamber ride!
I didn't even get that far into the paragraph! I simply saw the substandard gear part! That's even funnier! Wow!! I think I should go work for the state department and help them write that section of the country brief! Think they're hiring?
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

kitsapdiver wrote:
I didn't even get that far into the paragraph! I simply saw the substandard gear part! That's even funnier! Wow!! I think I should go work for the state department and help them write that section of the country brief! Think they're hiring?
... you're overqualified ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

kitsapdiver wrote:
oh yeah.. they're hiring... you don't mind being paid in chickens do you?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy