Diving the OLD town of Vantage??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Re: Diving the OLD town of Vantage??

Post by Dive Monkey »

Sound like as good excuse as any to get out and run the boat around this summer!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Keep me in the loop as well. I have a RIB and structurescan as well.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
MrSteve007
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by MrSteve007 »

Rooinater wrote:Current day, with the contours of the land down to the old river bed.

As the water rises, a few buildings possibly present.

A few cars getting stuck in the rising water, and possibly the top of a building to the left.
Mid last summer, I got a call from one of my friends who resides on the Ellensburg City council (Tony Aronica). He called up saying that the county tourism council was chatting about plans to expand tourism in the area. They wanted to find some Scuba folks to determine if the old town of Vantage was in the area. The County Board was more than willing to work with the local government officials to get all the permissions necessary to search the area and report what was found.

I was told that the old highway acts as an access to the State Park North of the current site of Vantage, and would be an excellent landmark to follow out to the old township, as it still slips into the river at the site. The road is currently called "Recreation Drive," transiting the Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park. http://goo.gl/maps/uXWEv

As others have mentioned, the town should sit in about 40-50 feet of water and about 200 feet out. From what I can find, there's typically a 1-2 knot current - and viz would likely be poor. It certainly would make for an interesting investigation, even if it were only a few foundations and car hulks.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I drive past there several times a month anyway . . . I'd be up for throwing my gear and a scooter in the car and stopping at Vantage to see what we could find. I've never dived in a river.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Yep, I too would be interested in this.
justus
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by justus »

Hey this strand has been quiet for awhile. Any new info? I would love to dive a spot that's got some structures.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

It doesn't look like there is a lot there. Currently the Wanapam dam (or however it's spelled) has a huge crack in it, and the water is super low. You can see half of the flats leading to the old bridge. There was maybe one or 2 little building, I could see when we drove by, the old bridge ends are still under water. Probably about similar to the above photos.
SeahorseDeb
Avid Diver

Post by SeahorseDeb »

I live in Spokane and am fascinated by this thread!

I enjoy historical research, I found one picture from this website that gives a good land view to add to the existing collection:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?Di ... le_id=5416

Several years ago I saw the old freeway/bridge crossing that comes out of the water and asked my mom about it. We were gazing down from the Ginkham Petrified Forest site and she said she recalled crossing the river there on that old bridge. Each time I cross the river and see the road jutting out of the water I wonder..keep up the posts!! I am cheering you on! :joshsmith:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.51 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Why is the water so green......
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

The crack in wanapum dam is being repaired. The lake will fill 17' from current elevation before the end of the year.

Additionally flows are about as low as they get right now. By Monday flow will increase by approximately 25%.

The best time from a velocity standpoint would be September.
tasarsailor
Just Settling In

Post by tasarsailor »

Link to the day average flows for current and previous http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ftppub ... ly/wan.txt
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

I recently took a trip through this area with a friend who worked for the Wanapum dam. He mentioned that an old town was submerged and pointed to the location. I instantly brought up diving, but, at least according to his recollection, most or all of the above-ground infrastructure was removed.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They remove the old structures because they are worth salvaging and don't want them floating off downsteam to screw up their brand new dam/spillway/turbines. Typically only the foundations are left behind. If you aren't seeing much there with the current super low water you won't see more once its (re)flooded.

That area has one of the busiest boat ramps in the state in the summertime. There is no way I'd dive there with all the sober and drunk jet skis and water skiers etc zooming in and out all day. IIRC there's a marine unit sheriff's deputy posted there seasonally to try and keep the peace because its so crazy.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.