Westport diving.......

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Westport diving.......

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Has anyone done any diving out of Westport? If so.... where? Im doing a ton of fishing out of Westport these days and would love to get in some combo trips with some diving. Neah bay is just awesome, but so darn far and expensive to get there with the ferry crossings and all.....
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Westport diving.......

Post by nwbobber »

Never tried it myself, I have a neighbor who used to do some crabbing and spearing along the jetty. He has a great story about the ebb tide there. I don't think his wife will let him dive there anymore.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I have dived off the jetty near town. The couple of times I have done it the vis was lousy, but I got a mess of crab. I wasn't going there to dive but to let the kids and grandkids play on the beaches and squeezed in a couple of dives with my sons. From my limited experience, it was no Neah Bay.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I would be interested in hearing more about diving from Westport to. I have family that lives in Aberdeen.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Cory here is some posts I put up a while ago for scooter dives.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... rt#p110319

That area is the Grave Yard of the Pacific, 100's of wrecks. If you still have your sidescan from the boat a few boats ago you can find them. they get buried and uncovered all the time so one time you go out it will be there then the next time it may not be. Some are on the charts most are not.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Not trying to hijack but someone in the thread that was linked above mentioned a rotor current...What is that? I have never heard of a rotor current before. Thanks
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

LowDrag wrote:Not trying to hijack but someone in the thread that was linked above mentioned a rotor current...What is that? I have never heard of a rotor current before. Thanks
The prevailing current is a south current. So when it stakes up on the north side of the jetty and the beach you get a huge rip current that runs out along the north side of the jetty. I would not exactly call it a eddy but it causes a rotating current that if you go to the north of the rip it will pull you a little north then back to shore and if you stay in it spit you back out along the jetty. The surfers love it. the winds have a big effect on it as well.

You do get a eddy off the tip of the south side of the jetty.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks loanwolf...now that you explain it I have seen water like that but it was not when I was diving.
Last edited by LowDrag on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

There used to be a dive club in Westport 20 years ago or so. They would have an annual dive to Distruction Island to salvage anchors. They would then sell the anchors and make a lot of money.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Bump on an old thread....

Oldsalt, where were you diving off the jetty? on the harbor side, right off town?

The wife and I were there this weekend and it looked real tempting as the rec crab pots being pulled looked pretty dang full.

nwbobber, did your neighbor say what he was spearing? As a kid we used to fish off the north jetty for ocean perch and the occasional cod.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I'm sorry for the delay, but I have been living on my sailboat and anchoring out with no internet access. Yes, I was diving right near town. We had rented some cabins and dived right in front of them.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.