Getting started on boat dives.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
archisgore
Aquaphile

Getting started on boat dives.

Post by archisgore »

Now that i consider myself part of the community, it's time got my next lesson. How do I get started on doing boat dives short of buying a boat?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Getting started on boat dives.

Post by Grateful Diver »

For South Sound charters ... Rick has boats going out year round.

http://www.banditocharters.com/bandito/

For central area (around Seattle) ... Howie is a member of both Emerald Sea and Moss Bay dive clubs

http://www.aluminatorwatertaxi.com/

In Hood Canal ... Don is a member of this community, and runs a fantastic charter

http://www.pacadventure.com/

You can book any of these charters through their respective web sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

Like Bob said there are a number of good charters in the area.
If you never have dove off a boat i would advise taking a charter for your first one.
The one ran out in the Hood Canal would make a good 1st boat dive.
Sites like the Pinnacle and Pulali West would be perfect.

Once you know your comfortable diving off a boat keep an eye on the Dive Planning section.
Poeple like myself will post openings now and again for dives off there personal boats.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Archis, I will take you on mine. 16ft RIB, pretty easy to dive off. Not necessarily directly applicable to a larger charter, but any experience is experience right?

PM me and we can work out a date and someplace suitable based on your comfort zone and experience.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

dont forget Bill Minton aka dalcodiver...

http://northwestdivecharters.com/
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

+1 on bill.

if you start setting up your own boats, you'll need enough people lined up to deal with folks dropping out last minute due to colds, etc.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

one thing to keep in mind about charter boats, is limited space, as since they are commercial, they'll fill the boat as best they can.

Meaning you need to get geared up in a smaller area than perhaps used to, crowded around other divers doing the same, and under some time pressure as well to get in the water with the rest of the divers.

Its not a big deal, but I do think you need to be sort of prepared for it. Its different from car diving.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

You get the hang of it pretty quickly. Best advice I can give you is to let the captain and deckhands know that you're new, and listen to all their directions and briefings.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

They usually have hot water for warming your gloves and hood between dives and did you know they feed you too? Mmmmm, hot chicken noodle soup, cheesy breadsticks, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies - that charter boat diving is pretty rough duty! :smt064
Cheers!

Ron
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

guitarmaker wrote:They usually have hot water for warming your gloves and hood between dives and did you know they feed you too? Mmmmm, hot chicken noodle soup, cheesy breadsticks, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies - that charter boat diving is pretty rough duty! :smt064
I supply none of the above. Just water in summer and Fireball whiskey in winter. My service sucks I know.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Another +1 for Bill and Northwest dive charters
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

+2 for Banditio's. My first 2 dive right out of OW was with Bandito's and it was easy. Since it was my first dive out of OW, I was a bit nervous as I was 1 of 2 boat rookies with a boat of 10 (on the Sampan). I informed Jackie (boat DM) of my experience (or lack of) and she was a great help to instruct and ease the nerves. The boat had a side exit with only a minor lip, for an easy stride with welcomed assistance by Jackie.

Joshua is right how fast you get the hang of it, just keep an open mind and a watchful eye on others. After your first gear up, you quickly learn what not to do the next time.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

archisgore, if you can, take Richard up on his offer. There are some very nice and not terribly current sensitive places he can take you, that will give you the experience of diving off a boat, without dealing with the timing or crowding issues on a bigger charter. And Richard's a great mentor, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
guitarmaker wrote:They usually have hot water for warming your gloves and hood between dives and did you know they feed you too? Mmmmm, hot chicken noodle soup, cheesy breadsticks, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies - that charter boat diving is pretty rough duty! :smt064
I supply none of the above. Just water in summer and Fireball whiskey in winter. My service sucks I know.
Your service isn't too bad. Only Old Crow is available on my boat. Neat.

I also have a 18' RIB (Ridgid Inflatable Boat) and take it out fairly often. Diving off a RIB means you generally have no cover, less room and you backroll in instead of giant striding off a swim deck. You also need the arm strength to pull yourself in over the tubes sans weight and BC-BP/W. Basically, it's a little rougher. Feel free to PM if you'd like to set something up.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ORDiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Your service isn't too bad. Only Old Crow is available on my boat. Neat.

I also have a 18' RIB (Ridgid Inflatable Boat) and take it out fairly often. Diving off a RIB means you generally have no cover, less room and you backroll in instead of giant striding off a swim deck. You also need the arm strength to pull yourself in over the tubes sans weight and BC-BP/W. Basically, it's a little rougher. Feel free to PM if you'd like to set something up.
In the past I have done a few "beginner" trips associated with club dives at Redondo. Wanna make it a double date sometime soon? Maybe Maury Island Barges, the Anna Foss, the Taylor Bay Wreck, or Tolmie barges? All are reasonable sites for just about anyone and might be new to you too?
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

Thanks for all the input. I was out with the flu last 2 weeks and on-call later. I'm catching up on this thread and will be taking up many of you on your boat dive offers. :-)
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Hey bud,

Send me a pm and ill put you on my "divelist". Your welcome on my boat. 28' alumaweld pilothouse. :supz:

Course... you would be taking your life in your own hands!

Beat you to it Richard! :rofl:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jaksonbrown wrote:Course... you would be taking your life in your own hands!

Beat you to it Richard! :rofl:
Hah, not any more than with me :p
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

Done. Replied to both. I'm in the middle of a rescue class, so won't be diving ALL that much for 2 weeks, but I can always make time for dives.