The end of my diving career

General banter about diving and why we love it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: The end of my diving career

Post by John Rawlings »

I'd like to thank each of you for the kind and thoughtful replies. Some of the responses here, in e-mails, and elsewhere have literally brought tears to my eyes. I've made some wonderful friends over the years in the diving world, and I cherish them all. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

John Rawlings wrote:I'd like to thank each of you for the kind and thoughtful replies. Some of the responses here, in e-mails, and elsewhere have literally brought tears to my eyes. I've made some wonderful friends over the years in the diving world, and I cherish them all. Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart.
John, even those of us who have never met you, have still learned a lot and enjoyed a lot from you. While your news is a bummer, your presence isn't, and we hope you continue hanging out these parts with the rest of us...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
canadianoid
Just Settling In

Post by canadianoid »

I have a great memory of Port Hardy trip in 2011 and you, John, are a part of it. Thank you for it. That October must've been the last time you were in the water and I'm glad I was there to meet you. Get well, stay well.. All the best.

Derek
Attachments
john.jpg
john.jpg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 5416 times
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

John, I am sorry to hear that you have had to make the decision we must all face at some time. I want to thank you for the kind, and wise words you have shared with me, on the board and in person. You have a wisdom that doesn't just come with age, your character has shaped that wisdom. The careful injection of your thoughts here on this board has often taken the edge off some of our more energetic conversations. I thank you for that. I hope you will continue to check in, tell a story now and then, and let your friends know how you are doing. There is truly much to enjoy in our beautiful part of the world, I wish you the best of it.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It has been an absolute honor to call you my "Dive Buddy", John. Whether it was poking around under the pilings at the Edmonds Oil Dock, being mutually ecstatic to actually have a rare nice photo of ourselves (we photogs get photos of everyone *but* ourselves), diving those beautiful wrecks off of Bill's boat on Vancouver Island with good friends and then collaborating on one heckuva nice article together afterwards, finding bigger and bigger cloud sponges in Nootka Sound on rebreathers, or (on that same trip) surviving what is still the scariest dive of my short diving career to date, taking a CO2 hit at 200' on that wall at Mozino Point in strong current and being completely rattled by it, but then going back there the next day to get my shot and lose my heebiejeebies.... I have always been over the moon to be diving next to you, my friend.

I wouldn't trade those dives for anything, but I do want to say that the most valuable things I've ever gotten out of our friendship over the years haven't been in the water. Whether it's been the times when you and Ginny have graciously hosted me in your home for great food among great friends, or the many back slapping conversations we've had during dive trips (teaching you "The Shocker"), shooting the shit and meeting awesome people in the dive industry at trade shows, or exchanging hilarious barbs and unflattering photos of each other in Vegas during our trip to DEMA together- which highlighted our polar opposite sleeping habits. All of these great times and many more happened out of the water.

And whether you know it or not, your habits of always being patient and kind in sharing your wealth of knowledge about diving and photography has and will continue to inspire *generations* of divers and photographers. I can trace back my development as an u/w photog right back to that day when you brought your KISS rebreather and gear into the Newsvine office for a little NWDC show and tell. It was that day I decided to follow in your (huge) footsteps and learn to dive CC and to better myself as a shooter.

Many of us read the articles and look at the photos in magazines and can appreciate them but also accept that we likely won't ever be able to approach those levels of excellence in a particular type of diving or craft. Your always friendly and approachable, down to earth demeanor gave me, and assuredly countless others, the confidence and idea that we too might be able to do something significant someday - and if some good things were to happen, also remind us to stay grounded and not to get too caught up in things.

Your diving days may be behind you my friend, but with every interaction either big or small in the dive community- and whether you realize it or not -your involvement, influence and legacy continues to make many divers better at what they do, and most importantly, makes them better people, period.

There's no rush and I concur that there's sense in taking a break from diving related things while you consider your path forward and what you want to fill the precious time with (lots to choose from!), but I think if you'll take Ginny's sage advice on the matter, my guess is that she'll nudge you in the direction of not leaving the dive community behind entirely, even if you have to part ways with act of diving itself. There will come a time when being reminded of diving won't be like reopening a sore wound, but rather like visiting with a good old friend you haven't seen in awhile, something I want to do quite literally- with you!

Calvin
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

First I would like to wish that your health improves and you find a way to get healthy, even if it means diving is not possible.

Also I agree with those who say maybe you need to step away from things for a while to focus on what is more important in your life right now. However, we the dive community are always here and I am sure many would greatly benefit from your knowledge you have acquired over the years. I know you are more than welcome to stop by any dive that I may be doing to chat during the surface interval.

ONCE A DIVER ALWAYS A DIVER...... BOOOO YAAAAAA :80sdance:
Jeff Castor
ptilosarcus
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ptilosarcus »

its the end of a great era, but youve got a fantastic and supportive group of friends, and so much more life to live! youve given so much to this little dive community of ours, which we all love you for. i hope though this doesnt bear the feeling of death to diving in all aspects of your life, it is so much apart of you, youll always be connected.
best,
Madison
ptilosarcus
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ptilosarcus »

also, superbly said, Calvin.
Tangfish wrote:It has been an absolute honor to call you my "Dive Buddy", John. Whether it was poking around under the pilings at the Edmonds Oil Dock, being mutually ecstatic to actually have a rare nice photo of ourselves (we photogs get photos of everyone *but* ourselves), diving those beautiful wrecks off of Bill's boat on Vancouver Island with good friends and then collaborating on one heckuva nice article together afterwards, finding bigger and bigger cloud sponges in Nootka Sound on rebreathers, or (on that same trip) surviving what is still the scariest dive of my short diving career to date, taking a CO2 hit at 200' on that wall at Mozino Point in strong current and being completely rattled by it, but then going back there the next day to get my shot and lose my heebiejeebies.... I have always been over the moon to be diving next to you, my friend.

I wouldn't trade those dives for anything, but I do want to say that the most valuable things I've ever gotten out of our friendship over the years haven't been in the water. Whether it's been the times when you and Ginny have graciously hosted me in your home for great food among great friends, or the many back slapping conversations we've had during dive trips (teaching you "The Shocker"), shooting the shit and meeting awesome people in the dive industry at trade shows, or exchanging hilarious barbs and unflattering photos of each other in Vegas during our trip to DEMA together- which highlighted our polar opposite sleeping habits. All of these great times and many more happened out of the water.

And whether you know it or not, your habits of always being patient and kind in sharing your wealth of knowledge about diving and photography has and will continue to inspire *generations* of divers and photographers. I can trace back my development as an u/w photog right back to that day when you brought your KISS rebreather and gear into the Newsvine office for a little NWDC show and tell. It was that day I decided to follow in your (huge) footsteps and learn to dive CC and to better myself as a shooter.

Many of us read the articles and look at the photos in magazines and can appreciate them but also accept that we likely won't ever be able to approach those levels of excellence in a particular type of diving or craft. Your always friendly and approachable, down to earth demeanor gave me, and assuredly countless others, the confidence and idea that we too might be able to do something significant someday - and if some good things were to happen, also remind us to stay grounded and not to get too caught up in things.

Your diving days may be behind you my friend, but with every interaction either big or small in the dive community- and whether you realize it or not -your involvement, influence and legacy continues to make many divers better at what they do, and most importantly, makes them better people, period.

There's no rush and I concur that there's sense in taking a break from diving related things while you consider your path forward and what you want to fill the precious time with (lots to choose from!), but I think if you'll take Ginny's sage advice on the matter, my guess is that she'll nudge you in the direction of not leaving the dive community behind entirely, even if you have to part ways with act of diving itself. There will come a time when being reminded of diving won't be like reopening a sore wound, but rather like visiting with a good old friend you haven't seen in awhile, something I want to do quite literally- with you!

Calvin
DennisDiver1
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by DennisDiver1 »

Hi John, Sorry to hear you are leaving the dive comunity. Even tho we never met personaly I want to thank you for helping me out when I join the dive club a week ago. I'm sorry to see you go, but under stand how it must be to watch but not be able to do. You will be miss !!!
Thanks
DennisDiver1
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Thank you, Dennis....

As you can tell from looking at the dates, despite my attempted resignation I have decided to stay on as a NWDC Moderator. Not only did Calvin do his best to talk me out of it, but so very many kind and decent people went out of their way to ask me to stay and remain a part of the NWDC family. It was humbling...and I shall always be grateful.

Now, we'll see how it goes.

- John :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

John Rawlings wrote:but so very many kind and decent people went out of their way to ask me to stay and remain a part of the NWDC family...
If that's how you took my "Now get the F*&k out" remark, then yeah, totally. >0]

D
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Heh...I always feel the love from you, you bilious bastard! :rofl:

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:Thank you, Dennis....

As you can tell from looking at the dates, despite my attempted resignation I have decided to stay on as a NWDC Moderator.
Hooray!!! :joshsmith: :taco: :partydance:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

defied.... hilarious!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Zen Diver wrote:

As you can tell from looking at the dates, despite my attempted resignation I have decided to stay on as a NWDC Moderator.
Hooray!!! :joshsmith: :taco: :partydance:
What SHE said!!! :eric:
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Tangfish wrote:defied.... hilarious!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

defied wrote:
Tangfish wrote:defied.... hilarious!
Trying to catch him writing durty, tryin' to catch him writin' durty
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

As you can tell from looking at the dates, despite my attempted resignation I have decided to stay on as a NWDC Moderator. Not only did Calvin do his best to talk me out of it, but so very many kind and decent people went out of their way to ask me to stay and remain a part of the NWDC family. It was humbling...and I shall always be grateful.

Now, we'll see how it goes.

John, I just read this for the first time since coming home from the sand box. That's terrible news. I remember you answering a few of my questions when I first jumped on this forum and was making the harsh transition from Okinawa to the PNW. After such a long career in diving, by simply "lurking" and answering occasional questions, though, you have the potential to save a life. If you're still structurally in sound shape, however, skydiving is amazing. I'm sure there isn't anything that can replace diving for you completely but If you told me I had to pick between my parachute and my bc I think my head would explode. Despite the roaring wind, you get that same feeling of peaceful floating for a minute or so and then you pop your chute and just kinda check things out for a few minutes. It's absolutely breathtaking! And much like scuba, it's absolutely addicting...and absolutely expensive :( Hopefully you find something else that you're passionate about though, whatever it may be.
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!