Scallops?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Post Reply
User avatar
thefeve
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 am

Scallops?

Post by thefeve » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey all,

So my father-in-law asked a good question - can anyone point me in the right direction regarding harvesting/fishing for scallops?

Let me start by saying I'm not a huge spearo, and have no intentions of becoming a big hunter.. but certainly have entertained the idea of trying it out for ling season, and who doesn't like crab? :burntchef: Hadn't really thought about scallops til he mentioned it, but i don't know enough about where they are, seasons etc and was curious where to look for regs as well as places that are known as acceptable places for it?

thanks for any info, even it its - "don't do that" :boxer:
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer

User avatar
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by Penopolypants » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Scroll down a bit to get to scallops:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/st ... rules.html
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!

User avatar
thefeve
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 am

Re: Scallops?

Post by thefeve » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 pm

perfect:)

Any thoughts on good places to go? I live up in mukilteo, and the father-in-law kindly offered to come over and provide "beach support" (cookin' pot and side dishes) to do a beach cookout this spring. Still being pretty new to diving and fishing, I wasn't sure what places may be good for that. I've been wanting to get over to Whidby for a long time, so thought maybe that would be a good chance:)

Also, FWIW I'm located up in Mukilteo, so looking for more northend options...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer

User avatar
Jeremy
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by Jeremy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Most of the scallop harvesting I've heard of was in the San Juans

User avatar
H20doctor
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4052
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by H20doctor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm

i know where the scallop beds are ... but we need a boat to score them off the bottom
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

User avatar
Paulicarp
Aquanaut
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by Paulicarp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:44 pm

thefeve wrote:Any thoughts on good places to go?



start looking on the bottom....

:rofl:

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by pensacoladiver » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 pm

The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

You need a boat to get there though.

User avatar
H20doctor
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4052
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by H20doctor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 am

pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

You need a boat to get there though.


SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:41 am

Re: Scallops?

Post by Jeff Kruse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 am

I used to get the big rock scallops out at Neah Bay. They were great. However, as I understand it they can not predict/test for PSP paralytic shellfish poisoning in Scallops in the areas we harvest them from(Neah, San Juans). They would need to sample the area very frequently and do tests in the lab. You can harvest them but there is significant risk of PSP. It made me stop taking them even though they were so good. If you go to this link http://www4.doh.wa.gov/gis/mogifs/biotoxin.htm one of the bullets says "All areas are closed for the recreational or sport harvest of scallops."

User avatar
thefeve
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 am

Re: Scallops?

Post by thefeve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:11 am

:eek: well that pretty much settles it then... I'm not in any rush to poison myself from shellfish...

Jeff Kruse wrote:I used to get the big rock scallops out at Neah Bay. They were great. However, as I understand it they can not predict/test for PSP paralytic shellfish poisoning in Scallops in the areas we harvest them from(Neah, San Juans). They would need to sample the area very frequently and do tests in the lab. You can harvest them but there is significant risk of PSP. It made me stop taking them even though they were so good. If you go to this link http://www4.doh.wa.gov/gis/mogifs/biotoxin.htm one of the bullets says "All areas are closed for the recreational or sport harvest of scallops."
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by pensacoladiver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am

H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

You need a boat to get there though.


SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:


Haha. When is the last time you dove there? Let me guess...

User avatar
H20doctor
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4052
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by H20doctor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm

pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

You need a boat to get there though.


SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:


Haha. When is the last time you dove there? Let me guess...


i believe we were being fined by Fish and Game ... :rofl:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by pensacoladiver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 pm

H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

You need a boat to get there though.


SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:


Haha. When is the last time you dove there? Let me guess...


i believe we were being fined by Fish and Game ... :rofl:



That's about what I thought.... You haven't been there in over three years!

User avatar
mz53480
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2405
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by mz53480 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm

pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.
You need a boat to get there though.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:

Haha. When is the last time you dove there? Let me guess...

i believe we were being fined by Fish and Game ... :rofl:

That's about what I thought.... You haven't been there in over three years!


Yeah, I haven't either. When you coming back with your boat so we can go out again?
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!

User avatar
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by pensacoladiver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.
You need a boat to get there though.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:

Haha. When is the last time you dove there? Let me guess...

i believe we were being fined by Fish and Game ... :rofl:

That's about what I thought.... You haven't been there in over three years!


Yeah, I haven't either. When you coming back with your boat so we can go out again?
:)


Seeing as how I'm just settling in to a new duty station, I would imagine its at least 3 years away.

I might be able to take a vacation up there and talk Karl into letting me take his boat out.

God knows Kraky ain't gonna take his boat out... He has owned it for what? 8 months now. How many times has it seen the water? Damn cyber diver.

User avatar
mz53480
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2405
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by mz53480 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

pensacoladiver wrote:
mz53480 wrote: Yeah, I haven't either. When you coming back with your boat so we can go out again?
:)


Seeing as how I'm just settling in to a new duty station, I would imagine its at least 3 years away...



Fair enough, I suppose I could chum the pristine waters of Hawaii instead.
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!

User avatar
H20doctor
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4052
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by H20doctor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:24 pm

I should have my boat going by this summer.. Pending I have boat funds
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen

User avatar
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Scallops?

Post by Emilyrc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 am

Whole foods... lol best scallops I've ever had. Disease free to boot.

Post Reply