Tolmie Barges

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Tolmie Barges

Post by Jeremy »

Was thinking of diving the Tolmie barges this weekend.

Does anyone know if this is a current sensitive site? My research seems to indicate no, but we were planning on splashing close to maximum current so I wanted to run this by you folks to see if that would be an issue.

Also, how far is it from the parking lot to the water? I've seen conflicting reports on that.

Thank you!!
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Re: Tolmie Barges

Post by olyvtx »

there is a gated path to the beach that they allow you to open and drive down to unload your gear. You'll find a couple picnic tables there near the beach. if you dive at low tide you have a nice, long walk through mud to get to the water. But, your swim won't be as long to reach the barges.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Cool, that's good news!

Any idea if this is a current sensitive site?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's no current at all really - even at max flood or ebb. Some swirling maybe. Its a LONG LONG swim though. Be sure to have a dive flag since did I mention its a long way out there and near where the yachts moor?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

CaptnJack wrote:There's no current at all really - even at max flood or ebb. Some swirling maybe. Its a LONG LONG swim though. Be sure to have a dive flag since did I mention its a long way out there and near where the yachts moor?
Yeah, that's what I've read! We're planning to scoot to the buoy and kick dive from there.

Thanks for the current tip...that's what I was expecting from Fischnaller but wanted to confirm.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Last time I was there the one white + organge can buoy still existed. I think its the SE one.
The "line up this house with that point" triangulation directions in Fishnaller don't work. They might be spot on accurate bearings but repeating them is an exercise in futility.

You'll have fun on the scooters.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

CaptnJack wrote:
Scooter*. Singular =P

Unfortunately we didn't pull 3 together in time, so we are just scootering (or being towed) out to the buoy, and then kicking the rest of the dive. Gives us something to do next time though
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Mortuus wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Scooter*. Singular =P

Unfortunately we didn't pull 3 together in time, so we are just scootering (or being towed) out to the buoy, and then kicking the rest of the dive. Gives us something to do next time though
Hopefully the buoy is still there! :eek:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Swim, in a wetsuit, in the snow, just like us old timers used to.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Well, Jeremy already has the wetsuit part covered ( :nutty: )
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Ahem...semidry. ;)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeremy wrote:Ahem...semidry. ;)
Its early march, and a long swim, unless you have a p-valve its definitely going to be semiwet.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Jeremy wrote:Was thinking of diving the Tolmie barges this weekend...
Ahhh...tolmie.....

[youtube]http://youtu.be/NYpA1k9CNEk[/youtube]
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

That was awesome, thank you! :)
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

We always aim for the taller white can bouy with a bit of orange on it just as CaptnJack talks about... if your looking out at the water it'll be NNE if I recall correctly... It'll be that TEEEENNNNY TINY slender white bouy about 65 million miles away... We surface swim to that and drop on the NE corner of one of the barges right next to a small stack of tires. I've never had an AWESOME dive there but I have had many VERY nice ones. Well worth doing IMHO. And as long as you don't have to RUSH back to pee, the surface swims in/out are just a nice time to relax, kick slow and have a chat.

The best reason to do it at a higher tide is so you don't have to walk through the mud as it's painfully S L O W!... typically you'll be walking through a field of living sand dollars if you do it at low tide also... but if your careful you can probably pick your way through without killing too many critters.

Have a good dive...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Ooh, sand dollars! Have fun!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, I hope you get to see sand dollars! I've only seen them once, and that was on a dive at Redondo Beach in California. We ran into a whole field of them, up on their sides. I thought someone had been playing with them, but apparently that's how they feed. I've never seen a single one up here.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dwinslow1
Avid Diver

Post by dwinslow1 »

Thanks for all the great info. :pirate:
Don W.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Had a great couple of dives today. First was the barge at Seahurst park a couple miles north of TTN. Spectacular viz of 40 fsw made this dive incredibly fun. The barge itself is pretty massive and housed a GPO that we said hi to. Also saw a cool stubby squid, tons of nudis, and sea pens. Great dive...big structure with TTN viz...nice!

Then headed to Tolmie to see some more barges. We saw thousands of sand dollars in the shallows. The taller buoy says "artificial reef". We descended at this buoy into about 33 fsw and saw a collapsed barge and a bunch of tires. I knew this must be the shallow barge from the Fischnaller book so we checked it out and then headed deeper on a 36 degree heading. You can sort of follow the tires as you follow this heading. After awhile...bam! A huge shape emerges and you can see this enormous barge materialize. We circled this about three times at about 45 fsw (getting towards low tide at this point) and then headed WNW to try and find the third barge. There are some tires along this route but there are spots where you have to have faith and keep kicking. We stayed at the same 45 fsw depth the whole way and ran into the third barge! It was as spectacular as the other deep barge we had just came from. Lings, cabezon, rockfish, and sea pens everywhere. The barges are spooky and very cool! We headed back and called it a day.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Low tide..........never again...................
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

lol...doubles divers....
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I dont think I would do that even with a single tank
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Mortuus wrote:I dont think I would do that even with a single tank
Did you dive it today too?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

mz53480 wrote:
Mortuus wrote:I dont think I would do that even with a single tank
Did you dive it today too?
Yup! The dive was great. The tides....not so much. Not because of current mind you (although there was some minor current at times), but because of the damn WALK! And the doubles and the gavin scooter... :angry:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Youth today, such slackers