Anderson cooper more daring than i?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
isac777
Frequent Bubbler

Anderson cooper more daring than i?

Post by isac777 »

Did anyone catch 60 minutes diving with nile alligators? They "believe" that underwater they do not see us as prey!! Pretty amazing video. Who would like to try this? Ill sit this dive out, plus botswana tix must be mucho dinero

http://youtu.be/s8mxWfmj-ZY
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Anderson cooper more daring than i?

Post by nwbobber »

Maybe not prey, but are they territorial? I think I'll wait and see. They have been known to wait at known river crossings for prey including people, so their feeding behavior can be modified by environmental changes. I don't want any part of teaching them how yummy divers are!
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
elmer fudd
Just Settling In

Post by elmer fudd »

If you've ever watched piranha in a tank with feeder fish you're probably aware that they don't eat that often. Those feeder fish can swim around free and unmolested for days and then at some point the piranha get hungry and go for them. I suspect it is also the same around large predators like crocs, grizzlies and certain sharks. 95% of the time they're not on the hunt, but if you catch them when they are, watch out.
isac777
Frequent Bubbler

Post by isac777 »

Yes it did say in the extended piece that they only dive 3 months of the year in the winter when their cold blood is even colder and are less active. The whole piece just blew my mind..like swimming with GW's wasnt enough. Id take my chance with the shark ...as the show said crocs kill wayyyyy more than sharks
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

"Hey Anderson! Whaddaya say we film a piece about diving into silty river caves with just basic recreational equipment?"
"I don't know, doesn't seem exciting enough. Let's add some giant crocodiles in there, too!"
"Great idea!"
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Here hold my beer. Hey everybody watch this!
Got Water?
elmer fudd
Just Settling In

Post by elmer fudd »

isac777 wrote:Yes it did say in the extended piece that they only dive 3 months of the year in the winter when their cold blood is even colder and are less active. The whole piece just blew my mind..like swimming with GW's wasnt enough. Id take my chance with the shark ...as the show said crocs kill wayyyyy more than sharks
You can call me a wuss, but I don't intend on diving with any of them. Six gills are about as aggressive a marine predator as I ever want to encounter. There are enough beautiful sea creatures and spectacular structures underwater that I feel I can miss the GW's, tigers and crocs.
mandible
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mandible »

spatman wrote:"Hey Anderson! Whaddaya say we film a piece about diving into silty river caves with just basic recreational equipment?"
"I don't know, doesn't seem exciting enough. Let's add some giant crocodiles in there, too!"
"Great idea!"