P-Valve for new suit

General banter about diving and why we love it.
KneeDeep
Submariner

P-Valve for new suit

Post by KneeDeep »

Ok, getting a new dry suit in a few weeks, and thinking I might want to get a P-valve with it. I'm purchasing the suit (Whites Sport with Tech skin to follow) from DRIS so why not have them install it.

Any one have any recommendations for the P-valves DRIS stocks (for that suit if that matters)? I've never had one so not sure which ones are good or not.

Any help would be great.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: P-Valve for new suit

Post by LCF »

Well, you have two major choices: balanced or unbalanced, and brand. Balanced valves are nice because you don't have to prime them (the balance chamber prevents a suction event as you descend) but the balance is generally achieved by a duckbill valve, and they fail and leak eventually. Unbalanced valves are simpler and less leak-prone, but you have to remember to prime them, or it won't be comfortable.

Brand-wise, they all work. I have a preference for the Halcyon valve for two reasons -- one, it's easier to see immediately whether the urine is exiting the valve, so if you DO have a disconnect, you're not as wet by the time you figure it out :) Two, the duckbill on the Halcyon is sturdier and installed with a Delrin plug, rather than a metal one that corrodes. I don't know if DRIS carries Halcyon, though. They do carry Light Monkey, but I don't like that valve as well.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Any tips on a good place to get catheters? I'm having a halcyon installed as we speak, after looking at several it looked the best.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lighthouse for the Blind in St. Louis by the 100 pack.
http://shop.lhbindustries.com/BrowseFam ... nt=Medical Products
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

Clay,

If you want to test out a few different kinds Rochester Medical will send you a sample pack to try out the different versions first... They're a pretty solid bet:

http://www.rocm.com/index.php/request/samplerequest
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I got one word for ya all. Depends, haven't had a suit leak because of them yet :smt119
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Clay wrote:Any tips on a good place to get catheters? I'm having a halcyon installed as we speak, after looking at several it looked the best.
Express Medical Supply

http://www.exmed.net/c-536-urologicals.aspx

Good Diving,
Jerry
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Halcyon and Oxycheq are two great P-valves. Lighthouse for the blind for Catheters. Those are my recommendations. Balanced or unbalanced is up to you.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Linedog wrote:I got one word for ya all. Depends, haven't had a suit leak because of them yet :smt119
Any suggestions for fixing the diaper rash?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Thanks!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I prefer the Coloplast caths to Rochester, they have elegant detail to their design that is hard to describe. In the past I've written that they are the Deep Sea Supply of the incontinence supplies market. Get some of their samples too before you order any caths in bulk.

FWIW I've been using a very simple balanced valve made by Oxycheq which I can rebuild with parts from a McMaster Carr when the check valves fail but I'm several years in to the original parts. I'm pretty diligent about flushing with water and a 50/50 white vinegar and alcohol blend. It probably prevents crystals from forming in the valves and keeps things sanitary.

I find having quick disconnects on the hose to be handy but you'll want to have spares on hand in case you neglect to reunite the halves after a dive.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

No matter which you pick, after it's installed make sure you check how it all goes together and seals. Furthermore, make sure that if you think it swivels so that you can adjust the angle of the 'male' end for best position that it is in fact swiveling and not unscrewing. Speaking from experience, failure to do that last piece makes for a very wet leg...
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!