Pls read if you dive at cove 2

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Pls read if you dive at cove 2

Post by dewmercer »

Short/short: Don’t walk across the grass between the water and the parking lot while geared up.

When I started diving about three years ago, Laura James always warned us to not walk across the grass. She said she’d seen or heard of people slipping and of one breaking an ankle. I followed her advice for a long time but I became complacent of late.

About a month ago I was tired after a dive and trod across the grass to my car in my doubles. The grass was dry and I figured it was not an issue, despite her warning echoing in my head. Well I slipped and wrenched my knee.

I saw a surgeon today and the result of my moment of complacency was some very serious, complicated and permanent knee damage. Unless I undergo a particularly disgusting surgical procedure this year, I’m looking at a total knee replacement in the next decade.

My knees are in fairly good shape for a man of my age. What happened was the result of the trauma of the slip and of my being a dumbass. It could happen to anybody. You should try to skip that part.
--
DAve Mercer
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Pls read if you dive at cove 2

Post by Penopolypants »

Mattleycrue broke his leg in a particularly nasty way on that grass. It must hate divers. I am sorry that you have to go through this!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

You've saved me from a possible injury in the future. I had never thought of the grass as being dangerous. It makes complete sense, I just never stopped to think about it. So, thank you for educating me. I'm really sorry to hear about your knee. Hopefully your recovery will go better than expected.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I hope your knee heals up, Dave. I've had some close calls right there, myself.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

That patch of grass is nasty. I've slipped there and fortunately only damaged my ego. Besides you and Mattleycrue I think Fishstiq went down there pretty hard as well.

Who'd have thought the most dangerous part of diving was between the water and the parking lot?

Hope your knee heels up Dave.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

So to echo Dave's advice, don't walk on that grass. Take it from someone that has personally allowed arrogance to get the better of him. I have on more than one occasion now done precisely what Dave did and walk the grass on a dry day after a dive thinking nothing of it. Low an behold I slipped and landed square on my pack atop my tanks and slammed my head into my first stage and the valves. It's a concussion I won't soon forget. And just last week I watched a new diver try to walk that hill there and actually slipped going up it and took a pretty mean face plant and hit with a thud with all of his gear on him. Thankfully he is still a young guy and made of rubber like kids are.

Dave, I really hope your knee heals up!
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Good recommendation. Reminds me of that guy that broke his leg on the Redondo stairs....me!
Hold onto that guard rail. The goo on the stair can get quite slippery.

FWIW some scuba boots are significantly better than others. A lot of them are little more than a rubber 'slipper' and easily slip. Some of the better ones have significantly better grip. But, carrying 100# of gear should always put you on guard.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Wow, thanks for the tip. I witnessed a buddy fall there on the down slope right before the vehicles. I didn't even think about it being the grass.
I slipped at les davis not too long ago and just laughed. Again didn't really consider the grass a threat after a dive and loaded down with gear.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Interesting and something to remember.
Does anyone have a story of taking a spill down the hill at Jorstad Creek or Octopus hole?
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

FlyinV wrote:Interesting and something to remember.
Does anyone have a story of taking a spill down the hill at Jorstad Creek or Octopus hole?
At least at those two sites you know you are in a potentially dangerous situation and are being as careful as you can, and there is no other way to get to the water unless you have a boat.

The Alki grass is optional and very avoidable.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Last summer I took a class from an agency know for its obsessive risk management. Some of the feedback I was able to offer the instructor was that I know way more people injured between the parking lot and the beach than from DCI or other in the water maladies.

Take care of your buddies for the whole dive including getting in/out of the water and walking too/from their vehicle. It is really easy to get complacent shore diving familiar locations. Are you loitering near traffic in pavement colored clothing? I sewed a little orange reflective tape to my black undergarment and do my best to face traffic. Think about choosing safe routes, avoiding shortcuts, using railings, etc. when you are laden with gear. Think about the little details like making sure your BC is inflated before you approach the water and put a second stage in your mouth while you wade in/out of the water so you have something to breath if you do a face plant.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Ironic. It looks like if you tally up scuba injuries, goose poo hill is the single most dangerous thing to divers in the PNW.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

renoun wrote: put a second stage in your mouth while you wade in/out of the water so you have something to breath if you do a face plant.
That's a good one. I was getting out of the water at C2 on a -2 tide and stumbled on about 8in of water. I was wearing double 130s and an AL80 stage (yeah, dumb). Had I face planted there is almost no way I'd be able to roll over. Were it in deeper water things would have been easier.

I keep my reg in now.
--
DAve Mercer
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Damn, sorry to hear about your injury and thanks for the heads up. My wife and I may head over to Cove 2 tomorrow for a look see after going to the Dive Expo. We will be careful...thank you. I hope you heal well and very soon.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sorry to hear of your injury and although it has been a very long time since I dived cove 2, I remember walking across that grass sometimes.Hope you heal soon.

About 4 years ago at DUI Dog Days Demo I was in about 3-4fsw trying to don my fins and smartly put my reg in. As I was trying to put on my right fin it slipped and went around my ankle. In the process of trying to get it back off I fell backwards and also had not inflated my BCD. So I was so fixated on the fin I did not think of just filling my BCD and standing back up right away. I do remember saying to myself as I struggled with my fin "good thing I have my reg in". Once I came to my senses I did fill my BCD and stood up to hear some say "are you OK". I cannot remember what i said but did feel kind of stupid.

About a year or so ago mpenders(mike) and I were walking to the stairs at Redondo as the tide was out a ways. It was night and I slipped on some rocks and went to my knees. I did not get hurt BUT I had one heck of a time trying to stand back up even with Mikes help. Somehow after several attempts I did manage to get back up on my feet. My next thought was "I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE GYM".
Jeff Castor
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Neglecting to put your reg in, as will happen to all of us, makes a strong case for wearing your backup on a necklace versus a standard octo. When it's around your neck you ALWAYS know EXACTLY where it is.
--
DAve Mercer
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Or you follow your training that tells you to always have your reg in your mouth when entering or leaving the water.

D
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

defied wrote:Or you follow your training that tells you to always have your reg in your mouth when entering or leaving the water.

D
Ideally, yes
--
DAve Mercer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dewmercer wrote: That's a good one. I was getting out of the water at C2 on a -2 tide and stumbled on about 8in of water. I was wearing double 130s and an AL80 stage (yeah, dumb). Had I face planted there is almost no way I'd be able to roll over. Were it in deeper water things would have been easier.
The Cove2 rig strikes again. Seriously doubles 130s and a stage... for??
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:
dewmercer wrote: That's a good one. I was getting out of the water at C2 on a -2 tide and stumbled on about 8in of water. I was wearing double 130s and an AL80 stage (yeah, dumb). Had I face planted there is almost no way I'd be able to roll over. Were it in deeper water things would have been easier.

:smt064

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Long swim out to the MT6 :rjack:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

That's why god invented scooters.
--
DAve Mercer
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote: ..

LOL - you mean [sarcasm]"The Barge Formally Known As The MT6"[/sarcasm]
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: ..

LOL - you mean [sarcasm]"The Barge Formally Known As The MT6"[/sarcasm]
Tacoma works too..