Tacoma Dive Expo this weekend

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Tacoma Dive Expo this weekend

Post by LCF »

I had the fun of spending today at the Expo as a volunteer, watching the vendors come in and set up. I would highly recommend coming down to the show, if you have some free time this weekend. Several manufacturers are there (including Santi, who I will tout because they made an extreme effort to be there -- ask Jason the story!) and there are a lot of resorts and travel outfits there, as well. The list of seminar speakers looks interesting, too, including a session on the GPO rule change possibilities.

This will be my third year attending the show. I've enjoyed it every year. A whole exhibit hall full of people who are into diving is an experience not to be missed!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: Tacoma Dive Expo this weekend

Post by Mortuus »

Freakin' GREAT to see a lot of the NWDC crew that I don't often get to socialize with! I hear it wasn't as big an overall turnout as last year, but I still thought it was pretty damn good. It's amazing to look at how many friends I have made over the last year. Now I know what you're thinking. "Mortuus? Friends? Whaaaat?" But yes. It's true. And I do value all the friendships that have been formed since I moved up here. The dive community <expletive deleted> rules! Thank you all for not letting me down; The amazing dive community was one of the reasons I moved up here to begin with.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yup, attended today, saw a lot of NWDC tshirts walking around! Enjoyed all of it, going back again tomorrow post dive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm heading down today. This is the first Expo I won't be working a booth ... and I plan to spend the day schmoozing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I hope to see lots of folks there again today. I'll be working the front registration desk as usual, so come say hello! (I'm the guy in the neck brace, obviously.)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

My wife and I went yesterday. We were at Silent World's booth talking to Craig and David about Whites Fusion dry suits and met LCF there. We stopped by The Oregon Dive Club booth and talked to Jeff, the club president, he has not had the chance to meet my wife Danee yet, so I introduced them. We are members of the club but with Danee just having had surgery on her neck in October 2012 it sometimes keeps us from going to meetings. There were definitely a ton of things to see and people to meet and talk to. We had a great time and it was good to meet different people.

dwashbur wrote:I hope to see lots of folks there again today. I'll be working the front registration desk as usual, so come say hello! (I'm the guy in the neck brace, obviously.)
I talked to you at the desk yesterday. My wife and I walked up to the desk about 3:00 and asked if anyone knew if there was a HOG booth or if there was someone at the show that carried HOG gear. I was going to ask who you were but then I re-read your post and we definitely talked for a few minutes. You might also remember us because we had to use your clippers to cut Danee's wrist band off because I put in on to tight... #-o

I highly recommend going...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mortuus wrote:Freakin' GREAT to see a lot of the NWDC crew that I don't often get to socialize with! I hear it wasn't as big an overall turnout as last year, but I still thought it was pretty damn good. It's amazing to look at how many friends I have made over the last year. Now I know what you're thinking. "Mortuus? Friends? Whaaaat?" But yes. It's true. And I do value all the friendships that have been formed since I moved up here. The dive community <expletive deleted> rules! Thank you all for not letting me down; The amazing dive community was one of the reasons I moved up here to begin with.
Like.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

LowDrag wrote:My wife and I went yesterday. We were at Silent World's booth talking to Craig and David about Whites Fusion dry suits and met LCF there. We stopped by The Oregon Dive Club booth and talked to Jeff, the club president, he has not had the chance to meet my wife Danee yet, so I introduced them. We are members of the club but with Danee just having had surgery on her neck in October 2012 it sometimes keeps us from going to meetings. There were definitely a ton of things to see and people to meet and talk to. We had a great time and it was good to meet different people.

dwashbur wrote:I hope to see lots of folks there again today. I'll be working the front registration desk as usual, so come say hello! (I'm the guy in the neck brace, obviously.)
I talked to you at the desk yesterday. My wife and I walked up to the desk about 3:00 and asked if anyone knew if there was a HOG booth or if there was someone at the show that carried HOG gear. I was going to ask who you were but then I re-read your post and we definitely talked for a few minutes. You might also remember us because we had to use your clippers to cut Danee's wrist band off because I put in on to tight... #-o

I highly recommend going...
I remember! It's good to know you're on here; quick as I'm able, let's go diving.

The expo was amazing as usual. Attendance was down a little, and some long-time vendors weren't there, but the overall event was great. I'm already looking forward to next year.

One thing I'll just toss out there: if you've never considered volunteering at the Expo, give it some thought. Being part of all that energy is indescribable. And for me at least, there's nothing quite like seeing all those people having fun, everybody working together because we're all terminally in love with diving, and knowing that I'm contributing to that enjoyment and harmony. It's a rush like no other.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I had so much fun . . . Saw a lot of people I seriously like and don't get to see very often, and Josh :) Met ScubieDoo and mpenders, and Steve Zedekar, whose handle here I can't remember, and got to say "thank you" for tons of great photographs I've enjoyed. Even if you have no interest at all in the vendors, or drooling on the fabulous travel brochures, the show's worth attending as a social function!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:Steve Zedekar, whose handle here I can't remember
zekethesheik. Feel free to harass him via pm. I'll grant amnesty to those who do, within reason. :)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

spatman wrote:
zekethesheik. Feel free to harass him via pm. I'll grant amnesty to those who do, within reason. :)
:goodpost:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Certainly was a great show with respect to seeing all the local faces and meeting new divers and seeing old friends and catching up.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth to say hello! :partyman:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:I had so much fun . . . Saw a lot of people I seriously like and don't get to see very often, and Josh :) Met ScubieDoo and mpenders, and Steve Zedekar, whose handle here I can't remember, and got to say "thank you" for tons of great photographs I've enjoyed. Even if you have no interest at all in the vendors, or drooling on the fabulous travel brochures, the show's worth attending as a social function!
It was certainly great meeting up with you Lynne. Can't wait for the Gods pocket report :D
zekethesheik
Just Settling In

Post by zekethesheik »

spatman wrote:
I know where you live........ AND I know how to ruin a batch of homebrew.. Done it accidentally many times.
JasonDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JasonDiver »

Attendance was down a little, and some long-time vendors weren't there
I wondered about why it was so lightly attended and if the show can survive for another year. Question for the ones that didn't go: why not? Maybe it would help the organizers need to here what they need to change to get more people next year.

I have fun going to visit with other divers and don't want it to end.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

JasonDiver wrote:
Attendance was down a little, and some long-time vendors weren't there
I wondered about why it was so lightly attended and if the show can survive for another year. Question for the ones that didn't go: why not? Maybe it would help the organizers need to here what they need to change to get more people next year.

I have fun going to visit with other divers and don't want it to end.
Danee and I had a good time to. it would be a shame if this event came to a permanent close.