Bare XCD2 Drysuit

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Bare XCD2 Drysuit

Post by LowDrag »

Hey everyone...does anyone have any experience with this drysuit? I found one for sale that is used for a decent price but being used I am concerned about buying it. Any information that I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Dave
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Re: Bare XCD2 Drysuit

Post by Bric Martin »

For what it's worth, I have seen a few of those suits delaminate. I personally know of 4 different people that Bare had to replace their suits because the material bubbled and leaked.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

The Bare XCD2 is a fine suit. It is made from highly compressed neoprene and is very durable. I have one as well as the newer XCS2. I have never seen or heard of bubbling or delamination with this suit.

On the other hand, the Bare SB trilam suits have had issues and sales of these have been suspended until Bare can resolve the problem.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have several hundred dives on mine and I am quite happy with it.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I have a Bare XCD2 tech, which is the front entry version.

Bottom line is, I like this suit a lot. It is very warm and I used it for an anode cleaning job in Sitka in the middle of winter where it kept me warmer than my tri-lam suit.

If there are any drawbacks, it would be the boots: I find the Bare boot to be a bit larger than some of the others out there. I am sending my suit down for some work this week and am asking Superior Diving to put neoprene socks on the suit, so I can use the same fins I use with my DUI and Diving Concepts suits.

My second bit of advice would be to try it on. My suit is a 2XL and it is smaller than my DC 2XL. Keep that in mind if it's going to be a tough fit or you're an unusual size.

I have had this suit for about 4 years and kept is a back-up and extreme cold diving suit. This is the first time in 4 years I have sent it off for any work and it probably has a couple hundred dives on it. Many of those dives were working dives that involved turning wrenches or swinging a hammer.
greg-and-dave-prepare-to-dive.jpg
This picture was taken by Mim McConnell before she became mayor.... :notworthy:
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

GearHead wrote:The Bare XCD2 is a fine suit. It is made from highly compressed neoprene and is very durable. I have one as well as the newer XCS2. I have never seen or heard of bubbling or delamination with this suit.

On the other hand, the Bare SB trilam suits have had issues and sales of these have been suspended until Bare can resolve the problem.
I stand corrected. The Bare suits that I have seen delam were tri-lam, not crushed neoprene.
Last edited by Bric Martin on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

I like mine, very warm and durable just drys slow
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
Knight Diver
Just Settling In

Post by Knight Diver »

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned above. I have around 200 dives on mine and I love it. Only negative is the big boots. If I ever send it in for work I'll have socks put on.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice and thoughts.
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

Love mine. 350 dives on it. Just replaced the wrist and neck seals for the first time. I would buy another.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Well...and unexpected turn of events came around. I came into some money and I am pulling the trigger on two new White's Fusion dry suits for my wife and I. The Bare I was looking at was a used suit but with being able to buy new I am going for the White's. Thanks everyone for offering thoughts and advice. I really appreciate it. Everyone have a great day.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Any specific reason on why you chose the White's?

D
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

We checked out several dry suits at the Expo in Tacoma and found that we really like the White's. We like the looks, how they fit, the construction, the principle behind how they work. There wasn't anything about the White's we didn't like except that we couldn't take two of them home with us from the show.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

The wife and I also purchased the Whites... she has the Fusion Fit, which is a woman cut and likes it much better then the sport. I'm getting the Fusion with the Sport (in about 2 weeks), but will also be getting the Bullet later. Spend the bit of extra and get the Replaceable Neck and Wrist systems... you can replace any of the seals in minutes. I replaced my wife's suite last night with the small neck seal, as the standard was a bit too big... from start to finish took my 10 minutes, and that was my first time.

Whites recently had a huge military order, so it might take a bit longer to get your suit, unless your LDS has what you want in stock. But ours were made to order, and since they didn't have any of the neo socks or pack backs, they upgraded the socks to the MK3 and also gave us the 'military' bag.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

KneeDeep wrote:The wife and I also purchased the Whites... she has the Fusion Fit, which is a woman cut and likes it much better then the sport. I'm getting the Fusion with the Sport (in about 2 weeks), but will also be getting the Bullet later. Spend the bit of extra and get the Replaceable Neck and Wrist systems... you can replace any of the seals in minutes. I replaced my wife's suite last night with the small neck seal, as the standard was a bit too big... from start to finish took my 10 minutes, and that was my first time.

Whites recently had a huge military order, so it might take a bit longer to get your suit, unless your LDS has what you want in stock. But ours were made to order, and since they didn't have any of the neo socks or pack backs, they upgraded the socks to the MK3 and also gave us the 'military' bag.

That would be cool. I could wait a little bit longer and get the upgrades you got. We are definitely going for the SLT and Dry Lock glove upgrades. We figure that if we are going make a purchase like this we are going to get what we want right up front and have a pair of suits that will last us for quite some time to come. We are very meticulous about taking care of our gear so they should last us. The anticipation of getting them ordered and delivered is killing me. Our LDS owner is meeting with the White's rep on Friday to get the ball rolling for us. We start AOW soon and I want my dry suit for that, now just if they are not super backed up. :eek:
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

LowDrag wrote:We checked out several dry suits at the Expo in Tacoma and found that we really like the White's. We like the looks, how they fit, the construction, the principle behind how they work. There wasn't anything about the White's we didn't like except that we couldn't take two of them home with us from the show.
Very cool. Dry gloves and pockets are a win.

Enjoy!
D
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

defied wrote:
LowDrag wrote:We checked out several dry suits at the Expo in Tacoma and found that we really like the White's. We like the looks, how they fit, the construction, the principle behind how they work. There wasn't anything about the White's we didn't like except that we couldn't take two of them home with us from the show.
Very cool. Dry gloves and pockets are a win.

Enjoy!
D
We sure hope to...thanks!!! :partydance:

Dave