Dive Assure

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Dive Assure

Post by Paladin4Christ »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this clarification question.

From what I understand the difference between DAN and Dive Assure is: DAN is supplemental insurance and coverage begins AFTER your primary coverage has run out or reached a certain level. While Dive Assure is independent insurance specifically for the coverage of a diving accident and is not dependent on a person's primary medical plan.

Am I correct?

Any comments or dealings you feel someone getting ready to purchase Dive Assure should be made aware of?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Assure

Post by CaptnJack »

DAN's secondary plan covers any deductibles or co-pays from your primary insurance. As long as the charges are medically necessary. You don't have to "max out" first. In my case my primary paid 80% and DAN covered the remaining deductible (it was in January so I hadn't reached my deductible) and my 20% co-pay. The only thing I paid was the dinner they bought me in the chamber (not medically necessary..)

From the sounds of your question you have no primary health insurance?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

I do have medical insurance, it is just a high deductible catastrophic plan.

I figure paying $220 year, for my son and I with Dive Assure, would be less expensive in the long run if something happened...not that we are looking at ways to use the insurance.

Faulty logic?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

DAN would cover the deductible on your catastrophic plan if it were a dive related injury. "Dive related" is a bit dubious though, breaking a leg at Cove2 between the car and the water may or may not count.

I have not heard anything good or bad about DiveAssure. But I am pretty confident no matter who you get coverage through you will need to fight for it when you need it though.

I would check very carefully the policy terms for Dive Assure, they may have conditions in place for when they are a secondary coverage. And if you have another plan (of any kind) one plan will be secondary. You may not be able to choose which is primary vs secondary and what happens when Dive Assure is secondary. DAN's plan is fairly clear on what they cover as a secondary insurer. The "dive related" definition being the biggest loop hole.

There are other providers nowadays too. Back when I had my hit DAN's plan was about the only scuba related insurer at all.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

There are a bunch of good discussions over on Scubaboard about this same subject also. The threads I read had some good info to read. Good luck.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I'm the guy that broke my leg on the Redondo stair. I was Group Health so all I had was some co-pays and specialty charges. DAN indicated I could send them in and they would pay. I ended up not bothering figuring it was less then $200 and I'd just call it a contribution.
FWIW I have the 'high end' coverage, not the basic.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

CaptnJack wrote:DAN would cover the deductible on your catastrophic plan if it were a dive related injury. "Dive related" is a bit dubious though, breaking a leg at Cove2 between the car and the water may or may not count.
The "dive related" definition being the biggest loop hole.
I can assure you from 1st hand experience that in this exact scenario the will twist and weasel their way out leaving you with 40k in medical bills, 12k worth of titanium in your leg and 2k worth of destroyed dive gear. Iwould NOT recomend DAN. What good is cheap if they don't live up to their responsibilities?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

I went the Dive Assure route. My Primary Care Physician recommended it over the Dan supplemental.