Salish Explorer no longer a dive charter

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Salish Explorer no longer a dive charter

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff, you keep "over buying" getting screwed on your budget and then blaming 'boating' in general.

You do NOT need an 18ft RIB in order to tech dive here off a personal boat. I've done quite a few 200ft dives off a 15.5ft RIB, even with 3 divers it's fine. And I've been to the Diamond Knot a half dozen times and Long Island Wall (from Anacortes) about the same number. Also all over Saanich Inlet, Hood canal, the South Sound and Lake Washington. Its been as far north as Lund to dive the wreck of the Capilano and as far east as Yellowstone Lake (National Park, WY).

Reduce your ambitions and get something you can actually afford to use and dive.

On another note, 40hp is pathetically small for an 18ft RIB. First rule of RIBness is to get the max hp rated for the hull - if you are using it for diving. So an 18ft RIB will take something on the order of 115hp to actually "go". 40hp is suitable for a 14 or 15ft diving RIB (which would be a lot more capable than you give it credit).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Some hard data on a shoestring non-commercial boat operation:
I have a 1985 Trophy purchased in 1998 for $8000 and have used it almost exclusively for diving. I later purchased a trailer for $2400. The boat holds 4 divers.
For the last 8 years it has averaged 13.5 dive days per year at an average cost of $3540 per year for maintenance and fuel including offset from gas donations averaging about $20 per diver. Yikes! I just figured out it costs me on average $200 each dive day for my own boat. The only thing I have against charters is they go to the same places all the time.
JasonDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JasonDiver »

Thanks. Those numbers will help protect me from those dangerous shiny boat moments.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

ohopdiver wrote:Yikes! I just figured out it costs me on average $200 each dive day for my own boat.
See... I didn't overpay you! LoL.

Wished I was headed out the the 4 mile barges with you, have a good dive!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

ohopdiver wrote:Some hard data on a shoestring non-commercial boat operation:
I have a 1985 Trophy purchased in 1998 for $8000 and have used it almost exclusively for diving. I later purchased a trailer for $2400. The boat holds 4 divers.
For the last 8 years it has averaged 13.5 dive days per year at an average cost of $3540 per year for maintenance and fuel including offset from gas donations averaging about $20 per diver. Yikes! I just figured out it costs me on average $200 each dive day for my own boat. The only thing I have against charters is they go to the same places all the time.
$200 a day is in the ballpark for running a boat. My previous boat, a 26ft walk around, was probably on average of $350 a day on the water - but I kept it moored and it had twin outboards that loved to eat fuel.

My RIB has been running way cheaper than my old boat. Not taking into account the up front purchase costs it probably costs me less than $50 a day to run.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ohopdiver wrote: For the last 8 years it has averaged 13.5 dive days per year at an average cost of $3540 per year for maintenance and fuel including offset from gas donations averaging about $20 per diver. .
For a boat on a trailer what you are maintaining year after year for that much money?? I can replace the impeller and oil(s) on my outboard for <$100. Fuel costs me about $20 per day in the boat. 4x that much in my truck to tow it though...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Insurance and license, brakes and bearings often, O/D service and repairs, props, raw water pumps, horn, blower, bilge pumps,ground tackle, rub rail, steering cable, shift cable, occasional starter motor, generator and manifolds, fuel pump, carb overhaul, batteries, additions and upgrades like a search light, tank holders, dive ladder, VHF, GPS NAV/sounder, electric winch..........
I haven't come close to listing it all. Chemicals - cleaners, wax, toilet treatment, fuel treatment windows. Fittings, ropes, anchors, fire extinguishers, flares, first aid. Virtually everything gets replaced at least once, some annual or semiannual.
Today was typical, $10 launch, about $50 fuel for 15+ miles on 92 octane and replaced the alternator/pump belt between dives.