southern tip of Camano island

General banter about diving and why we love it.
isac777
Frequent Bubbler

southern tip of Camano island

Post by isac777 »

Hey all Yall --

I have a slip in the tulalip bay and was wondering if any of you have dove off Camano heads souther tip anywhere. The eastern side about 1/4 mile up from the tip seems like a nice little cove protected from the wind and such. I am a relativly new diver and i know it gets deep fast there. Was just looking for a nce accesible area 40-70 fsw-maybe grab some yummy crustaceans and do some exploring. Any new areas would be appreciasted. I know the current there can be a real beotch as i am a vastly more experienced boater than diver. Just looking for some unpopulated sites close to the "REZ" which can access without burnin a whole lotta fuel. I will have a live boat fyi
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: southern tip of Camano island

Post by renoun »

There is an artificial reef off Onamac Point about half way up the West side of the Island that might be worth a dive if it isn't too far of a run for your boat. I've only been there once off an anchored boat during lingcod season but it would be fun occasionally when you feel like a longer trip. Too bad the Hat Is. barges aren't much of a dive any more.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

There is also hat island reef on the south end of hat island. About 60 foot deep and pretty bad ass.
isac777
Frequent Bubbler

Post by isac777 »

Thanks guys looks like i am going to check out the onamac reef in the next couple weeks w a live boat as i heard current can gnarly possibly. Will let you know how it is
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

If you need gps numbers for either, let me know. Onamac point can have some current, but it ain't too awful bad

The nice thing is, even if it is a bit much and you can't make the anchor, head 090 for about 100 kicks and you will be onshore. Head up current 500 yards and then swim back out to the boat.

Not that ice ever done that. Lol
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Camano wall at the south end of the island. Look for outflow pipe and long staircase by beach cabins. Anchor in about 30 ft. ledges start at about 50 FSW. Follow ledge north for most interesting at about 95 FSW. I'd be happy to show you, your boat or mine, any day of the week.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Dive site distances one way from Tulalip Bay (nmi):
Hat Is Barges 3
Hat Is Reef 4
Camano Wall 4
Langly Tires 4.5
Possession Wall 11
Possession Ferry 12
Possession Rocks 12.5