I am looking at reels and SMB's...recommendations?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: I am looking at reels and SMB's...recommendations?

Post by LowDrag »

So...the SMB that Mateo1147 posted makes me want to ask this. Koos and a few others say they recommend the Halcyon safety sausage @ 3.3' long but the SMB that Mateo1147 posted a link to is 7' long. If the point is to use it as a signal device wouldn't taller be better? That way if the waves are picking up you could be seen easier or maybe due to being down current several hundred yards? I have heard so many different opinions since I started diving it's an interesting topic to try and figure out.

Thanks,
Dave
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

LowDrag wrote:So...the SMB that Mateo1147 posted makes me want to ask this. Koos and a few others say they recommend the Halcyon safety sausage @ 3.3' long but the SMB that Mateo1147 posted a link to is 7' long. If the point is to use it as a signal device wouldn't taller be better? That way if the waves are picking up you could be seen easier or maybe due to being down current several hundred yards? I have heard so many different opinions since I started diving it's an interesting topic to try and figure out.

Thanks,
Dave
See Laura's post above (#15)

tl;dr version - use the bag your environment calls for
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Jeremy wrote:See Laura's post above (#15)

Thanks Jeremy. I did see that post. I don't know if you noticed but I quoted Laura's post #15 in my post #16. I don't recall deleting the bag/reel type discussion so I am wondering if I just missed or if Laura might have added it later. I looked for an edit remark but did not see one so I can't be sure one way or the other. In any case, what she said makes sense to me so thanks again for pointing that out.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I have the little Halcyon bag and like it very much.

On the other hand...it could have been woefully too small when I dove the Diamond Knot last weekend. I was lucky to have flat seas.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

LowDrag wrote:
Jeremy wrote:See Laura's post above (#15)

Thanks Jeremy. I did see that post. I don't know if you noticed but I quoted Laura's post #15 in my post #16. I don't recall deleting the bag/reel type discussion so I am wondering if I just missed or if Laura might have added it later. I looked for an edit remark but did not see one so I can't be sure one way or the other. In any case, what she said makes sense to me so thanks again for pointing that out.
I added a few thoughts in... sorry about that :)

But yes, gist of it is, in general there is no perfect single do it all tool. Even in SMB's and spools/reels. Use the kit for the dive at hand and you will almost always be happier <grin> As Jeremy noted, on the Diamond Knot I'd use a bigger SMB, but its obnoxious and overly huge for cove 2 :)

Unless of course we are talking about bacon. Bacon rules in every application. except maybe in chocolate cake.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ljjames wrote:Unless of course we are talking about bacon. Bacon rules in every application. except maybe in chocolate cake.
Heresy. Bacon and chocolate rule. Bacon in anything rules.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

ljjames wrote:I added a few thoughts in... sorry about that :)

But yes, gist of it is, in general there is no perfect single do it all tool. Even in SMB's and spools/reels. Use the kit for the dive at hand and you will almost always be happier <grin> As Jeremy noted, on the Diamond Knot I'd use a bigger SMB, but its obnoxious and overly huge for cove 2 :)

Unless of course we are talking about bacon. Bacon rules in every application. except maybe in chocolate cake.
No worries Laura...I just thought i was going crazy there for a minute is all... :rofl:

Thanks for all the great advice everybody, I definitely appreciate it.

Dave
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I usually get a bunch of crap every time I recommend this, but this is my absolute favorite SMB:

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/bud ... on-orange/

It's a self-inflate. You can recharge the little bottle from any DIN tank. And I love it. It does take up a whole drysuit pocket, but I think it's totally worth it. You can also inflate it the normal way, from the bottom, but it does not have an oral inflate. Since I dive CCR exclusively, I prefer to *not* go off my loop, or to waste precious bail out gas on a silly bag.

I have shot it off the bottom from as deep as 240' when it was time to get the hell out of dodge, and it has never, ever, let me down. All the criticisms leveled against it are just plain wrong. The main one I hear is that people are afraid it will self inflate by accident and shoot you to the surface. For one thing, this has not happened to me, or anyone I know, in hundreds of dives. Secondly, I decided to test this in shallow water one time- with the SMB folded up and stowed, the gas simply vents out of the OPV.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

One thing to also keep in mind is where you plan on storing the said spool/reel and dmb/bag during the dive and how easy it is for the device(s) to deploy and stow if they accidentally come out.

Both my 3.3 Halcyon SMB and finger spool fit in my drysuit pocket with room to spare and I can take them both out and put them both back in there without hassles and they dont get in the way.

That said, you need different size SMB and reel/spool, depending on the dive you are doing. Like Laura said, 6ft SMB with a Reel is probably a good idea in high seas and a 3.3 smb and spool is fine for most of the diving around here.

For me its hard to work with small reels with dry gloves (the ones that are just about the size of a 150ft spool) and find it much easier to use a cold water spool.

There IS a difference in a cold and warm water spool though, so make sure when you look at a spool for around here, its a cold water spool that can be easily used with dry gloves. With a little practice, I have yet to find someone in my classes that cant use a spool and dont prefer them at the end of the day.

I had yet to find someone not liking the Halcyon SMB and Jeff, I think you are that first person.. I'm not sure what exactly you dont like about them, because a vague statement of "Im not impressed" is quite honestly not very helpful.

In cold water my lips get so damn useless that any of the other style oral inflator that require you to "push-in-to-inflate", doesnt work for me.. I tried using my teeth, and lips and fingers, nothing really worked well.. I've also seen enough students try to use them in my classes that after copious flubbered attempts, I end up giving them my Halcyon SMB for the duration of the class.. In fact I bought 4 of them for this exact reason.. In almost every class there is a student that ends up borowing one of mine eventually and loves it.

BUT - At the end of the day you have to use and buy what works best for YOU ! This is a SAFETY device so it doesnt make sense to buy something thats not going to be usable or screws up when you need it most!

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I didnt say I didnt like it, I said I wasnt impressed with it. Its higher premium over other SMB's providing the same functionality is unwarranted. I cant even recall where I got my other SMB now, but it has better lift, and pretty much the same functionality, and on sale it was probably 1/2 the cost of the Halycon.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jeff Pack wrote:I didnt say I didnt like it, I said I wasnt impressed with it. Its higher premium over other SMB's providing the same functionality is unwarranted. I cant even recall where I got my other SMB now, but it has better lift, and pretty much the same functionality, and on sale it was probably 1/2 the cost of the Halycon.
What style inflator does it have? And SMB's are not sold for their "lift" capacity..

A Ford and a BMW provides the same functionality too.. Just sayin.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

I know that the SMB I posted a link to sounds huge but in fact it will fit in a thigh pocket on my dry suit along with the 100' finger spool. Since switching to a BPW I have been diving with it snapped off to the butt D ring. I find it much easier to deploy from this position.
Just my two p.s.i............
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

That SMB is actually pretty cool, Matt and if it works for you, its a good tool.

I have a similar one as well, sans the solas tape and I really like it for dives where I need that size SMB.

The solas tape is also a really nice feature and its radar reflective too!! Not sure how effectice such a small strip is, but thats a feature i am evaluating for my next big/tall SMB for open seas.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I still remember doing a dog tilt head the first time i went to shoot an SMB while on CCR. Without a BOV it does give one reason to pause, even before you go down the 'wasting gas' discussion in your head. <grin>

I used a small lift pillow with a cartridge for many years (back in the cambrian era). Apparently I got lucky and it never self deployed. My concern wasn't so much self deployment as it was premature inflation on the surface between dives or something.... and then actually need it and have no way of being sure it was still 'loaded'.
Joshua Smith wrote: It's a self-inflate. You can recharge the little bottle from any DIN tank. And I love it. It does take up a whole drysuit pocket, but I think it's totally worth it. You can also inflate it the normal way, from the bottom, but it does not have an oral inflate. Since I dive CCR exclusively, I prefer to *not* go off my loop, or to waste precious bail out gas on a silly bag.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

....and just in case you want one more opinion, I carry on every dive, in my dry suit pocket, a 72" Carter Personal Float with a Finger Spool that has 100+ feet of line (minus the dive flag attachment. I think it's an option and kinda goofy).

Having spent a fair amount of time live boat diving and driving, this can be seen for quite some distance.

It has both an oral and one way inflation valve. I like to puff a small amount of air into it orally just to get it out of my face (that could be a sig line, I guess. ....then inflate with my alternate air source to send it up.

They are made in Enumclaw.

http://www.carterbag.com/personalfloat.html
image.jpg
image.jpg
-Mark
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

This thread just keeps getting better and better...

Thanks everyone for your information.
mpspringer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mpspringer »

kdupreez wrote:I recommend you start with a simple Delrin based finger spool that has 100ft of cave line on it and a 3.3ft Halcyon SMB.

the specific reason why I recommend this brand for SMB is the oral inflation valve. I have yet to find another brand that has an inflation valve that can match the no-lock power and oral inflation valve they provide.

I have many many bags and SMB's and this simple finger spool and simple SMB setup is used 99% of all my diving.

In my opinion, Lift bags are for lifting.. Surface Marker Buoy is for "Marking the surface" and these are 2 distinct different use cases for 2 distinct different pieces of gear and their associated reel/spool configurations.
Has anyone seen/used the xdeep SMB? http://www.xdeep.eu/closed-smb-diving-buoy-pr-38.html
I'm wondering how it compares to the 3.3ft Halcyon SMB.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I haven't seen an X-deep one in person, but those inflators suck. See LCF's post above on the inflators you have to push with frozen lips.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

that inflator sucks. to have to "push in" to inflate and out here with numb cold lips, it's impossible.

the attach point also doesn't look that great.. dual layer 1" webbing with sewn stainless D-ring can't be beat :)