Analyzers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Analyzers

Post by Nwcid »

So quite some time ago I had made a deal for a Nuvair trimx analyzer. Unit was "dead" when I went to pick it up. Shorty after I ended up picking up a Oxycheq O2 analyzer since right now we are only doing Nitrox.

I just picked up a Nuvair trimix analyzer (since we are moving that way) the other day.

So the question becomes is there a good reason to keep the Oxycheq or should I sell it?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
camerone
Submariner

Re: Analyzers

Post by camerone »

Depends. I have a nitrox analyzer I built from scratch (not just the "cut the wire" kind, but one that actually properly loads the O2 cell...) and I have a trimix analyzer (bought...) which is the heated wire in a reference cell with wheatstone bridge type vs. the acoustic model types.

The nitrox-only one is a lot smaller to pack and toss into my bag if I'm just going somewhere for the weekend. It's also really good plumbed straight into a compressor. The trimix analyzer is bigger, has much larger power requirements - in my case, AC required, and takes a little more time to use.

I very rarely take the trimix analyzer with me out to dive sites, but it gets a fair bit of use in the garage when blending. The nitrox analzer is a pretty good sanity check in the field and good in general to take around. (Even for confirming trimix in the field, a confirmation of O2 percentage on the meter from nitrox and the "donald duck" quality of a voice will tell you you're good enough for government work...)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You can get by without helium analyzer at all. But O2 sensors die regularly and you absolutely need a working O2 analyzer. Having 2 is not overkill.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Cant hurt to have a spare O2 analyzer as a backup, since you already have it, but you couldnt pry my trimix analyzer out of my cold dead hands.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

All good points.

The Nuvair runs on batteries and is roughly 2x the size of the other, but still fairly compact.
John

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The nuvair also takes a power supply input, but so far my batteries are lasting fine
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Was just commenting that it was not dependent on AC as camerone said his is.

Was commenting that weight, size and function were both close enough for me that those were not a issue to decide between. The only issue was it worth keeping both around, both needing cells to keep them working.
John

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

I know you're not a 'breather guy, but for those of us that are: I end up recycling the old O2 cells out of the rebreather and into the analyzers, as long as they're still good - as in haven't failed prematurely.

Since best practice is to swap rebreather cells at 12 months even though the manufacturer allows for them to 18 months in the 'breather, there's a reasonable ready-made supply, four at a time (or staggered, which is even better). The failure mode on an O2 cell is generally current limited, but on the surface, you're not going above 1.0 atm (100% O2), so that isn't a problem...and it's trivial to check. 24 months at 1 atm is not too much to ask of a cell, especially if it's still solid at 12.

That's kind of the other bit of color of why my situation doesn't have the problem in keeping multiple analyzers around...I'm not really buying cells for them, just using ones that I already have around which aren't good for other purposes, but are perfectly acceptable in the analyzer.

...and that reminds me that I probably need to check and order cells soon to rotate out the ones in my gear. :)

FWIW, there's probably a bunch of us in the similar situation who maintain our breathers; I'm happy to simply give away the unused extras from the swaps.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

camerone wrote:
FWIW, there's probably a bunch of us in the similar situation who maintain our breathers; I'm happy to simply give away the unused extras from the swaps.
Hey Cam - If you have a few extra cells laying around I'll take them off your hands :) . I'm building two Oxyhacker analyzers for the my DIY nitrox fill station project.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Very good points camerone. You are right. We are not 'breathers yet, moving that way though. In the research phase still. Probably not next summer, but the spring/summer of 2015.
John

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Bill - ping me in a few weeks when I am finally back in Seattle and I can probably hook you up with one or two. I'm bouncing between cities until the first week of October. As least then I'll be home for the weekends...
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

camerone wrote:Bill - ping me in a few weeks when I am finally back in Seattle and I can probably hook you up with one or two. I'm bouncing between cities until the first week of October. As least then I'll be home for the weekends...

Will do - Thanks Cam!