Wetsuit help

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Wetsuit help

Post by Nwcid »

So I am in need of a wetsuit for our up coming trip to Bonaire in November. According to the web it looks like water temps are generally between 81-83. So far the warmest water I have dove in was Hawaii which was 75* on one trip and 77* on another.

I am generally a very warm person but the only exposure protection I have now is my drysuit or my full 7mm (and farmer john). When we went to HI I took my 7mm knowing it was going to be warm but since I saw lots of suggestions for a 5mm I was not willing to spend the money on a different suit. While it was warm I never felt too hot but did occasionally flush my suit. I have done about 20 dives like that. For me diving in HI was go in one temp and come out the same temp. Unlike most diving, especially around here, you go in warm, come out cool-chilled depending on time of year.

Now in Bonaire I read that many people dive in just shorts. While that may be ok for some diving and maybe even shallower diving I am guessing that doing 3-4 dives a day will require some exposure protection. I am looking at getting a 3/2 since I can also use it for pool sessions around here when the 7mm really is too hot. I know exposure protection really depends on the person but do you think this is a good choice of suit?

Next question is does anyone local carry lighter suits like this? I did some looking online and I expected these suits to be quite a bit cheeper then what I paid for my 7mm, but they are not. Any suggestions on a good one to choose?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Wetsuit help

Post by GearHead »

A 3/2 full is a good versatile suit. I use mine for local pool sessions, and it was also Ok for Hawaii with a Lavacore T-shirt underneath. For 81 - 83 degree water, you could also consider a 2 mm shorty with a long sleeve rash guard underneath. That would be lighter for travel.

Silent World in Bellevue currently has a decent selection of wetsuits. There is also an Adrenaline Sports shop below them with a wide selection of suits, although geared more toward surface sports. Another shop with a good selection is Underwater Sports on Aurora. I've gotten suits from all three places, and have been happy.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

How about this one at LeisurePro?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aknjmn1/ako ... s-jumpsuit

$120-$140
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I'd take a lycra suit over a 1mm in 80+ degree water if you just want protection from corals. I bought an Xcel SLX X-zip 3/2 for the tropics, it's a 'surfing' suit with a neck entry chest zip, really easy to put on by yourself. 7mm would seem like overkill in Hawaii but the DM's I went out with wore 5mm suits w/2mm hooded vests over and were flushing with hot water after every dive.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

It's dependent on the individual a lot. I dive in 80* Bonaire water with a 4/3 + 1mm vest and a 2mm hood. I'm good for 1-1 1/2 hour and get out comfortably cool. In HI at 78* I get out a bit chilled after an hour. I'm sorely tempted to get a 5mm for those conditions. It makes a difference in my air consumption once I start getting chilled. I'm small and 'bioprene' challenged.
Friends I dive with in Bonaire only use lycra rash guards and seem comfortable. I think they are nuts, but then I'm jealous of that ability but not the extra personal weight they carry. I tried a 2mm shorty there on 1 dive, 1 snorkel, and gave it away.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

We gave made 3 trips to Bonaire (with second trip to curacao in a month) so here is my feedback..
I typically get cold. My husband does not.
Year 1 we brought 1/2 shorty and I think 2/3 long. Did 21 dives over 6 days. Used each wetsuit 1-2 times to see what it was like. The rest was swim suits and occasional rash guard.
Year 2 we brought both for me and shorty only for him. He used rashguard most of the time but no wetsuit. I used long wetsuit on night dives day 5and 6. Rash guard occasionally for bcd friction issues, not for warmth. 22 dives each.
Year 3 he didn't bring one and used lavacore rash guard only. We did 23-25 dives and I was chilled all the time by day 4 ( too much diving my core dropped..but that didn't stop the dives lol). I used shorty a few times and long once .

Curacao trip (40 miles from Bonaire?)? Shorties for both of us just in case weather gets cool. :-)
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Here's another two p.s.i. worth......
On my two week trip to Bonaire in January of 2012 I took a full three mil. Water temps were in the 78 to 80 deg. range. After the first three days I quit using it. Just a short sleeve rash guard for BCD friction and board shorts. I honestly had a hard time telling a difference with the three mil on. It did make me COLDER upon exiting the water. I had to take it off fast so I could dry off and warm up.
In the future I think I will travel with a full five mil or a five mil shorty. If I can't dive in just rash guard then I will skip right up to the five mil.
I hope this adds to the confusion.... er, I mean helps you decide what to take! :penelope:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks guys. Leisure Pro had a Bare 3/2 close out in my size so I got it coming. I know the guy I am going with says rash guard but I would rather bring a little extra and not need it vs having to try and find something while I am there.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

Northwest Dive Institute on NE 8th in Bellevue had some really nice deals on 3mm Cressi suits, but you'd need to call to see what they had left. I used one down in Turks and Caicos last April and it was just right.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I found 3/2mm suits to be = to rash guards. They really don't do anything except limit the water flow across your skin. They do make me way colder outside due to evaporation.

Actual insulation doesn't start until I have a 5mm or more on.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.