Total computer meltdown...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Cera
Submariner

Total computer meltdown...

Post by Cera »

So, after my LONG hiatus from diving, my husband and I suited up and dove at Alki this weekend for the first time. Since my computer needed a new battery I went ahead and replaced it (I have an old cobra- 10-12years old). I turned it on before the dive and tried to set the time. The thing went berserk.... it as going on as if I were diving ( a simulation I'm guessing) it wouldn't turn off or reset and wasn't hooked up to air so read 0psi. Eventually after "taking" me to 400 feet I pulled the battery out (25 minutes later). I put the battery back in and it *Seemed* to be functioning normal. I hooked it up, it looked good, read the psi, etc. Got in the water, looked good. Started diving and it wouldn't read depth. I thought I was too shallow (I wasn't) It wouldn't read even though the people I was diving with said we were at 10 feet. I looked at my husband who has the same computer and HIS WOULDN"T READ EITHER!!!! It showed his psi and that was it, 0 feet. I'm staring at it then it says I'm at 55 feet and descending, pretty soon I'm at 315 feet! (I'm in the same spot mind you) Then it reads Err and stops doing anything. My husband's computer simply gets bored and turns off, not reading any depth at all... (He is right next to me)
Now I can understand-ish ONE computer failing after some weird battery issues but for both of them to fail? I'm not sure what to think. Both of us bought our computers at the same time, they are the same model etc. He replaced his battery last time he dove in March and it worked fine then.
What do you guys think? Time to buy a lottery ticket?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Total computer meltdown...

Post by spatman »

Are they both Suuntos? I had two Vypers in a row do really weird things because of faulty depth sensors. Each was less than a year old when it crapped out
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Somebody on ScubaBoard just posted about an identical failure on a Suunto D9. He sent it back to Suunto, and they said the "internal module" was toast, and it would cost him $400 to repair it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

They were both Suuntos. I hate to say this because I love my cobra (except this instance,) but they have terrible customer service. This seems like something they know about then.....
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I guess I've been lucky as my Suunto has been a great (to me) computer. However, I did switch over to a Galileo Luna last year and love it...
K
"Let's go diving!"
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

10-12 years doesn't seem too bad. Should they last longer? Our computers are only a 1 1/2 years old so far so I wouldn't have any idea what would be a normal life of a dive PC.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

didn't you know those computers were in the same union?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Just an FYI on the Cobra's (and I believe the other Suunto's too). They are VERY particular about the battery brand that you use in them. I put a Duracell 2450 in my Cobra one time and it did the freak-out thing that you mentioned. I sent the computer in to have it checked out, they changed the battery, charged me $50, and sent it back saying that the service wasn't covered under warrantee because the wrong battery was installed.

I believe the correct battery is either Eveready or Sony but I cant remember the exact brand.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Ah, the "wrong" battery.... my husband's battery was actually from the 'suunto kit' they sell you to replace the battery. I did however put in a 'cheap' battery... I think both our cobra's were sabotaged by the Cobra 2 our friend was using! shameful!

Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I have several Suunto's. I've sold hundreds. problems seem rare (in my experience) provided you don't put them in the baggage compartment on a plane and don't sit them where they can get blazing hot on a summer day. Mine seem to pass away sometime between the 10 and 15 year mark. I've had 2 of my personal computers fail prematurely both had been exposed to baggage compartments and the customer service I've received from Aqualung (the Suunto distributor) has been nothing short of exemplary.
If the computer is 10 to 12 years old the warranty has been up for 5 to 7 years. But that doesn't mean your SOL. shoot me a pm if you like, I'll pass on a couple contacts that may be able to help you a bit if you'd like.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I have 3 Suunto's and they have all been great. My Cobra probably has close to 1000 dives on it (it has been my pool computer for several years since I got a wrist Vyper 2 and has done A LOT of pool diving) and still works like a champ. I've never had an issue with battery replacement and have had it serviced several different places over the years so I imagine different types of batteries have been installed (one shop even had me run down the street to a Radio Shack to get a battery for them to put in it when they didn't have a replacement battery in stock). My Mosquito easily has 700 dives and the Vyper 2 more than 500. They have all performed beautifully. I get them serviced annually although it's hard to find a shop that services them around here. I've never had to deal with the company so can't speak to their customer service. Take Wayne up on his offer to see if you can get some help. And Wayne, I may bring mine to you for service sometime soon.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Waynne Fowler wrote:I have several Suunto's. I've sold hundreds. problems seem rare (in my experience) provided you don't put them in the baggage compartment on a plane and don't sit them where they can get blazing hot on a summer day. Mine seem to pass away sometime between the 10 and 15 year mark. I've had 2 of my personal computers fail prematurely both had been exposed to baggage compartments and the customer service I've received from Aqualung (the Suunto distributor) has been nothing short of exemplary.
If the computer is 10 to 12 years old the warranty has been up for 5 to 7 years. But that doesn't mean your SOL. shoot me a pm if you like, I'll pass on a couple contacts that may be able to help you a bit if you'd like.
Bought a Vyper from Craig, what, 14 years ago ? Love my Petrel, but Emily is still using the Vyper, and it is just fine.

Jerry
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I can't tell you the number of baggage compartment rides our Prodigy's had since the early 90's or the hours they have sat in the sun and in hot trunks. Maybe cheap computers are better than expensive ones? We are using newer Oceanics now but the old ones still work.