Dive Accident in Nanaimo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Dive Accident in Nanaimo

Post by kdupreez »

Reports are coming in that there was a dive accident near Snake Island in Nanaimo..

3 divers involved, one sole survivor made it, one confirmed deceased and the third is still missing (presumed deceased.)

I'm also hearing reports that they were from Seattle and they were doing 200+ ft deep Tec dives off Sea Dragon boat..

Everyone OK out there?

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/on ... o-1.657706
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Accident in Nanaimo

Post by Joshua Smith »

Damnit. Afaik, all my crew is fine.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Damn. Tragic.
mpspringer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mpspringer »

Horrible news
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It always hits home when you see a header like that. So many questions, is it someone I know?, what about the survivor? and so many others but all we can do is wait hope and prey for those involved. My hat is off to those first responders. That fast for so far out is pretty amazing.

Here's hoping for good news.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

This is sad...my hopes and prayers go out to the divers and their families.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

Sad to hear this, our group was out there on the same wall this past weekend with the same crew - hard to imagine what they and the divers' families are going through right now. My thoughts go to all of them at this moment.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Confirmed "US Tourists" and the Sea Dragon charter..

http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA ... 0132537001
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
mpspringer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mpspringer »

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I must say that I am really proud of the way board members are handling this. Other boards are not so lucky.

We all know something went wrong but there is little chance that we will ever know anything about it.

Dive safe guys. The sport is only as safe as we make it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

It's hard to find any "good" news in an event like this, but I'm encouraged that someone found the missing diver's body. At least now his loved ones have a better chance of dealing with the tragedy.

And by all accounts, the response of the rescue crews and other officials was phenomenal.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

lots of drama on Scuba board...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

that was a harsh thread to read...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

From what I saw it was a little scattered. Please don't take this as being calloused however... I truly feel incidents such as these need to be harshly critiqued to get as many lessons learned as possible.
I find that most of these lessons are swept under the rug to 'protect' the victim's memory and family. Procedures and lessons are learned from the mistakes of others.
Heaven forbid, if something would happen to me... Please share my mistakes, criticize my judgement and share those lessons. People need to learn those lessons.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

fishb0y wrote:From what I saw it was a little scattered. Please don't take this as being calloused however... I truly feel incidents such as these need to be harshly critiqued to get as many lessons learned as possible.
I find that most of these lessons are swept under the rug to 'protect' the victim's memory and family. Procedures and lessons are learned from the mistakes of others.
Heaven forbid, if something would happen to me... Please share my mistakes, criticize my judgement and share those lessons. People need to learn those lessons.
I agree with you, but the critiquing needs to happen after the facts are presented. Not all the facts are here yet. When the official report comes out, then that would be the time to discuss what can someone do in the future to prevent that situation from happening to them.

I've got information, and I post what I know (With the exception of privacy, and what I've been asked not to talk about)as I get it. Koos has information, and he's posting what he knows.

D
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

fishb0y wrote:From what I saw it was a little scattered. Please don't take this as being calloused however... I truly feel incidents such as these need to be harshly critiqued to get as many lessons learned as possible.
I'm certainly not a tech diver, nor will I be, but I agree with fishb0y. As hard as it may be for friends and family we need to get the information and digest it so we can all learn.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

No way to critique anything when we know nothing. we or at least I have heard nothing in the way of details other than they were diving a deep wall with plans to go below 200fsw. We don't know if they were on open circuit, CC, air, trimix or much of anything else. At least I don't since I have not made the trek over to SB. Hopefully there will be something to be learned but for us non tech types I don't know what it might be.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dusty2 wrote:No way to critique anything when we know nothing. we or at least I have heard nothing in the way of details other than they were diving a deep wall with plans to go below 200fsw. We don't know if they were on open circuit, CC, air, trimix or much of anything else. At least I don't since I have not made the trek over to SB. Hopefully there will be something to be learned but for us non tech types I don't know what it might be.
They were on OC and Air the ended up below 200ft and the body was recovered at 255ft.. I know this for a fact. (at least the 2 deceased divers were on air) the survivor that stayed/bailed at 160 was on trimix..

Picture from one of the diver's OC gear. 50% deco bottle is still stowed.
Gear.png
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

FWIW the Time's Colonist (major paper from Victoria) posted an article today after the second fatality was recovered.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I'll go ahead and say it... Going below 130ish up that way sans helium is about the stupidest thing you can do.

No idea yet what the planned depth was, but it looks to be deeper than 130.

I just had a damn near knock down drag out fight with my buddy in Florida for going to 145 closed circuit on air. Everything is fine.... Right up until it ain't.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Koos, that's the survivors gear.

D
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks Koos,
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

pensacoladiver wrote:I'll go ahead and say it... Going below 130ish up that way sans helium is about the stupidest thing you can do.

No idea yet what the planned depth was, but it looks to be deeper than 130.

I just had a damn near knock down drag out fight with my buddy in Florida for going to 145 closed circuit on air. Everything is fine.... Right up until it ain't.
IMHO The simple rule is the deeper you go the greater the risk. Proper training is great, proper equipment is great, Following the rules is mandatory but in the end Shit happens and the deeper you are when it does the less likely you'll survive. Murphy's law can and will happen no matter how many precautions you take and the more margin you leave yourself the better. Everyone is different and the tables are just generalities based on averages and can be way off for any individual on any given day. Ask some of our members that have taken chamber rides after a normally safe dive. Simple science says the deeper you go the higher the odds.

He who wishes a long life should not lean against the guard rail. :eek:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dusty2 wrote:He who wishes a long life should not lean against the guard rail. :eek:
Total sig line right there!