"Historical" sites

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

"Historical" sites

Post by Nwcid »

We have a dive site in our area that I have some questions about. One part of the site is very commonly dove and nothing to "mess with". The site technically is Federal land and it has their standard "no metal detecting or removing things" signs up.

One of the things at this site is a hand dug canoe at about 40'. There are a couple of stories about where it may have come from. One of the worries is that this site, which is a boat launching area, could get shut down. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff?

Here are a few pics of what I am talking about,

John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: "Historical" sites

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow, A lobster! That's a lot more interesting than a rotting old dugout. LOL

The government is very nasty about relics of any type. Especially on federal lands. If they catch you messing with anything like that they will confiscate your equipment and fine the heck out of ya!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Crayfish ... you see them in lakes commonly. When I was diving Lake Washington wrecks with some regularity I used to amuse myself by dropping them on my dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Grateful Diver wrote:Crayfish ... you see them in lakes commonly. When I was diving Lake Washington wrecks with some regularity I used to amuse myself by dropping them on my dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
ROFLMAO!!!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

LowDrag wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Crayfish ... you see them in lakes commonly. When I was diving Lake Washington wrecks with some regularity I used to amuse myself by dropping them on my dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
ROFLMAO!!!
Heh, not so long ago I scared the living crap out of Jessie (Scubie Doo) by doing that to him at the I-90 bridge. I held the tail in my hands while it started "kicking" to try to get away, and I held it in front of his face right as I let go. :penelope:
[/hijack]
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

You can probably talk to the folks at MOHAI. (Museum Of History and Industry)

drop me a PM and I can connect you with some folks there and see if they are interested.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

I would talk to Maurice major from the DNR...he has been helpful and very involved in everything we have done with the lake union project..if you would like an email address let me know.
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the info guys. I got a PM the other day from a person that is going to get me some information and the contact person for this. This site is in ID so I will not bother DNR about it. I just know a few of you guys have done some of this kind of work so thought I would ask.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/