spearfishing

General banter about diving and why we love it.
banjofish
Just Settling In

spearfishing

Post by banjofish »

Been awhile since i did any spearfishing so thought Id ask you guys or gals what the rules are now days..Do I need a fishing license? Any places off limits? what are the limits if any on greenlings or cabs...How about crabs...thanks for any info you might have.
bfox
Just Settling In

Re: spearfishing

Post by bfox »

Crab season is over on Dec 31st. No need to spear them though, you can just pick them up. You do have to have a saltwater fishing license with a crab endorsement. Probably around $40, I buy the bulk package for fresh/salt/salmon/crab and it comes out to about $75. Get out there and get 'em before the season is over!!! Doesn't open back up until July. Your license is good through the end of March, so I don't think you could get much more than crab for the rest of that time. Lingcod doesn't open up until May, then crab next. Can't get rockfish unless you go out to Neah Bay area.
Brandon

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

banjofish
Just Settling In

Post by banjofish »

How about greenling..I found a whole bunch of them a few weeks back and would like to fill my freezer.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

yes any bottom fish , or other , which is greenling, perch, sanddabs, flounder.. those are open all year.. you can also spear out at neahbay all year, and seiku..also westport .. but check the fish and game regs also... there are lots of spearfishing divers here on NWDC including me
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

banjofish wrote:How about greenling..I found a whole bunch of them a few weeks back and would like to fill my freezer.
Read the regs for goodness sake! Greenling taste like shit but knock yourself out.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
banjofish
Just Settling In

Post by banjofish »

I love the taste of greenling..But each of us have our tastes...I thought when I first posted this and got very little response that spearfishing was a no no nowdays...I used to go out 30 years ago and get a ling or two every dive...We got a 26 lb cab under the fox island bridge one day...Now seems everyone just wants to look at the fish...Im for reserves and parks..good idea...but spearfishing is no different than line fishing...except I get to choose which fish i spear..unlike the line guy in a boat...thanks for all the info....cam
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

banjofish wrote:I love the taste of greenling..But each of us have our tastes...I thought when I first posted this and got very little response that spearfishing was a no no nowdays...I used to go out 30 years ago and get a ling or two every dive...We got a 26 lb cab under the fox island bridge one day...Now seems everyone just wants to look at the fish...Im for reserves and parks..good idea...but spearfishing is no different than line fishing...except I get to choose which fish i spear..unlike the line guy in a boat...thanks for all the info....cam
Yeah well times have changed, a lot. You'll find the seasons short and the list of restricted species (especially in places like area 10) very long. In Area 10, Ling season is 2 weeks for instance. No rockfish by spear at all. Shrimp season (they are a blast to catch on scuba) is 3 days if you are lucky. There are 2+ million more people in the Puget Sound region compared to 30 yrs ago, the ocean's bounty is limited under that kind of pressure.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i got Cabby Zilla early this summer..
977430_10200104701279907_1191169165_o.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen