Yeeeeha! Nailer's goin' DRY!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

You need far more weight in a wetsuit than you do in a drysuit.

Reason:

Neoprene compresses with depth. At the surface, it is quite bouyant. In order to make a controlled descent and hold a safety stop in the 20-5 fsw range, you need to carry a lot of weight to offset the boyancy of the suit.

At depth, the suit compresses, and you need less weight; unfortunately, you'll be carrying it anyway; as a result, you will need more air in your BC than you would need in a drysuit, and that air bubble tends to make you unstable; meaning it's hard to hold pitch, yaw, and depth.

That's the #1 reason I bought a drysuit; better depth control. The warmth factor was a distant second consideration.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Did your shop offer some kind of dry suit orientation or class? Most do, and it's a great idea to do one before getting into open water. There's more to a dry suit than weighting.

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Zen Diver wrote:Did your shop offer some kind of dry suit orientation or class? Most do, and it's a great idea to do one before getting into open water. There's more to a dry suit than weighting.

-Valerie

Ah, heck, I just pulled the silly thing on and headed down to 80 fsw with Diverdown! Nothing to it!

Actually, he gave me a good briefing on shore, and we did a couple shallow water drills first. 1st dive was kind of uncomfortable for me, I just felt really awkward. The second dive was great, though! I don't have buoyancy down as well as I did in my wetsuit yet, but I did MUCH better on my second dive. I think I'm going to like this "dry" stuff. Although I had a leak in my neck seal, and wasn't quite "dry" when I got out of it. I never felt a thing, though. I had no idea. Thanks again for the babysitting, DD!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's great that you're diving dry Nailer, you're going to like it a lot once you get used to feeling like you're in a hefty bag in the beginning. We can work on your buoyancy some more when we get to HC. I will make you do some looptie loops.