Diving Redondo this weekend

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Diving Redondo this weekend

Post by LowDrag »

Hey everyone, our club is supposed to dive Redondo on Sunday but this storm that is supposed to come in has me wondering if it is a good idea or not. Can anyone that has dove Redondo give me an idea of whether you think it would be wise to postpone the scheduled dives until a later date or if you think it would be okay?

Thanks,
Dave
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Diving Redondo this weekend

Post by Penopolypants »

There was strong winds and heavy rain during the last club dive at Redondo. The wind whipped up the surf and the water coming out of the storm pipe was incredibly powerful. Stormwater also created a definite brown stain on the surface of the water that made the viz near zero for several feet.

Under the surface it was great!

However...entries and exits were quite challenging, especially during the worst of the storm. The entry at the stairs was unusable due to the force of the water coming out of the pipe, and surf made donning and doffing fins a difficult adventure. Viz was awful at the surface. Nobody was hurt, and several hardy souls went out again for more, but many also chose to do only one dive.

So...conditions my be unpleasant, but perhaps diveable, depending upon your comfort level and/or experience.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks for the info. Our dive coordinator just posted on Facebook that he is watching the weather closely. He suggested that we might change our plans and go to Les Davis. I have never dove this location before so I do not know if it is any more protected than Redondo would be. As for my experience level. I would be okay with trying it I think but I would worry about my wife. If the entry is too rough it could be bad for her because she has to be careful of her back.

What about Cove 2? Would that be another viable option?

Thanks,
Dave
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 will be sheltered from the wind. I had a dive with a new diver scheduled for Redondo tomorrow and we have moved it to the Coves. I do not like the entry at Redondo in high wind.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks Lynne. Not sure what is going to happen just yet. I am waiting to see what our dive coordinator says. I could see us postponing this dive due to the high winds. I hope your dives go well today.

Dave
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

With the forecast having the winds coming from the SSW on Sunday, Les Davis will be somewhat protected and should be okay. Current should be hardly noticeable.

If the winds were coming from the north, It could be dicey. I've seen waves crashing over the seawall and onto the sidewalk during those conditions. With the expected 8-10' tides, entry/exit would have you bouncing off the seawall.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I hope you postponed your dives! We were at Cove 2 and conditions were horrible. Pouring rain, thunder and lightning, wind and significant surface current. Took some dedication to go diving today!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Wow Lynne, I hope your dives weren't too tough. Sounds like you were not having a very good day.

Danee and I are not going but the others look like they are going to give it a try. I was in the pool tonight testing out some gear and my sinuses were not happy at 10' so I am bagging the dive this weekend. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Dave
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

we did a dive in 3 foot swells today and it was a blast
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen