Where to buy a 5mm wetsuit in Seattle?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Where to buy a 5mm wetsuit in Seattle?

Post by JDelage »

I'm going to hit Underwater Sports to see their selection, but based on the site they have 2 models. Therefore, I'm wondering where else I should go to try and eventually buy a wetsuit.

Thanks,

JD
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Where to buy a 5mm wetsuit in Seattle?

Post by H20doctor »

thats a tough one because im in the same delima for a 5mm and a 5/4 for tropical diving ... As much as i want to give my money to the local shops , they dont have much... so i had to turn to the internet for dive suits, tropical suits... not cold water ..
most 7 mil to 5 mil are around 299 and up.... the internet is cheap ive found 5mil full suits for 139.00
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

If as a last resort you can't find a shop in Seattle that has one in stock or will bring one in for you I bought my wetsuit from Sierra Trading post. They are close out an discontinued models but still good products. Good luck!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I would drop by UWS in Federal Way. David cut me a nice deal on a shorty.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

I am very fortunate because I have found a dive shop that is out of an industrial spot. He is open when he says he's going to be, and he has beat every price on the internet. He orders me whatever I want. He's not in Seattle though.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
wetb4Igetinthewater
Frequent Bubbler

Post by wetb4Igetinthewater »

I picked up my Aqualung 5mm wetsuit through Underwater Sports in Bellevue. It was a special order, but it was the wetsuit I was looking for (and I'm very happy with it).

Whichever is your main dive shop, they should be able to order the one you want for you.
SSI Assistant Instructor Trainer
SDI Open Water Instructor
PADI IDC Staff Instructor (inactive)
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Underwater Sports on Aurora carries the o'Neil Sector Firewall suits. I use the 3mm full suit and add a Lavacore base layer for cooler water. The Lavacore really works.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

The point is to try the suit before I order it. If the store has to special order a suit, there's absolutely no advantage in going local. And I want a 5mm.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

A 5mm for local diving??
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

No - it's for the Red Sea, in April.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

The 5mm will have the same fit as a 3mm, just a bit stiffer to pull on. If the store only has 3mm in stock, you could try that on, then order the 5mm in the same size.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

another +1for underwater sports.

I had scubapro 5mm suits ordered and LOVE it.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

There are plenty of retailers around offering water-sports equipment that aren't dive shops. Dive suits don't work particularly well for sports on the surface like paddling, surfing, windsurfing, kite boarding, etc. but suits for surface sports frequently can be fine for diving if they fit well (fit is everything in a wet suit). You'll find that the suits for surface use are more likely to use neoprene that is slick on the outside in places where abrasion isn't expected since it doesn't cause as much evaporative cooling. These suits will also be cut with thinner material in areas where flexibility is important which means they may not be quite as warm below the surface. Finally suits for surfing have tight cuffs on the forearm to keep water flushing through while suits for windsurfing, kiting, and other sports where one grips an object are cut a bit looser in the forearm to keep from causing fatigue from compressing arm muscles.

Take a look around, in addition to specialty shops for the waterski crowd and kayakers there are lots of surf shops around town now. I've had long term positive experiences with Urban Surf across from Gasworks Park, Wiley's Waterski Wharehouse in South Park, and Northwest Outdoor Center on Westlake.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

SHAMELESS PLUG - There's a Shoppe in Auburn that has 1, 3, 5 and 7mm suits in stock. I don't feel bad about giving the shameless plug, since very few of the Northwest divers have been into our shop. We also can direct ship any of our items to your home at any speed you'd like, which means the longest you'd have to wait for anything with free shipping is 5 days...um...and I believe that matches or exceeds Leisure Pro's shipping terms. :)
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.