Currents and Tide when planning your dive

General banter about diving and why we love it.
AJS
Just Settling In

Currents and Tide when planning your dive

Post by AJS »

I have to be honest - all dives I have ever done I had a Dive Master and/or more experienced divers with me. So all I had to do was dive - I meant, I did not have to worry about tides, currents, entry/exit points, etc.

I have seen some posts, reports, bulletins around tide and currents.

My question is: how should I account for these when planning my dive? Especially low/high tide. Are there any post or recommendations I can read and learn about this matter?

Thanks for any recommendations!
AJS
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Currents and Tide when planning your dive

Post by renoun »

There's a good thread running over in the Diving Ed. forum right now.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

planyourdive.com has a tide and current app that I use all the time. It's quite accurate and easy to use. Around here, current tends to be a bit more crucial than tide, especially at certain sites. Some, like Redondo and Les Davis, aren't current sensitive so all you really need to look at is the tides and how long your walk is going to be. Other sites, like Titlow, Edmonds and Saltwater, are current sensitive and you need to time things accordingly.

If a dive that I totally blew at Titlow on Saturday is any indication, I'm not very good at that timing thing. But I'm learning.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

dwashbur wrote:planyourdive.com has a tide and current app that I use all the time. It's quite accurate and easy to use.
In my experience it seems to work on sites that are NOT current critical and sucks at sites that ARE. I don't know what their algorithm is but it ain't good. Frankly I warn people off it. Learn to use current tables and add correction factors yourself as appropriate. Depending on a program like this to guide you is an invitation to a 'learning experience', especially on the current intensive sites.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

fmerkel wrote:
In my experience it seems to work on sites that are NOT current critical and sucks at sites that ARE. I don't know what their algorithm is but it ain't good. Frankly I warn people off it. Learn to use current tables and add correction factors yourself as appropriate. Depending on a program like this to guide you is an invitation to a 'learning experience', especially on the current intensive sites.

Wow someone has been bitten.
I think where you went wrong is assuming the corrections were made. I believe they are not. So you still have to use your noggin to factor corrections due to distance from point where the reading is taken. Their "algorithm" is the SAME that all tides and currents are based off; historic information.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

No, for example PYD has corrections for DIW. I always clear them, and use my own.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Aha yeah most the sites I ever use PYD for do not have the corrections. But I don't think I would "rely" on them if they did. As Pack said, figure your own.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I took another look. Seems to have changed a bit since I looked last. Got a couple interesting tools. I suppose like most folks I've adopted my own ways, they work, I'll stick with them.

It's kind of a problem for people starting out. Fishnaller is pretty good....but, he certainly didn't do multiple visits on all the sites in all conditions. Some of his info is not quite accurate and for some of the more difficult sites is not available. But it's a great place to start. Once you have some experience and can wrap your head around corrections you can then start gleaning info from other diver for the harder sites.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.