Oil in Hood Canal?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Oil in Hood Canal?

Post by Rooinater »

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Oil in Hood Canal?

Post by Norris »

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Yep, although it's worth noting that it was an estimated 2000 gallons of "oily bilge water", not 2000 gallons of oil... The actual oil amount is significantly less, thankfully.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

RoxnDox wrote:Yep, although it's worth noting that it was an estimated 2000 gallons of "oily bilge water", not 2000 gallons of oil... The actual oil amount is significantly less, thankfully.

Jim
It will still ruin your latex seals
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

From what I've heard and read, the oil went NORTH, between the base and the bridge, so it's north of the usual dive sites. I don't think it's too much to worry about from a diving standpoint. I hope there's a bit more info about where things stand now.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Not to sound out of line but does that mean that diving Sund Rock, Sunrise and Octopus Hole would be okay? Danee and I are planning on coming up for our tenth wedding anniversary this month for a few days. We were possibly going to go to Edmonds also.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Not a problem- those sites are a long, long distance away from the spill.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

But there are really nice sites near the bridge, so it will be a while before the oil disperses.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

jeffgerritsen wrote:But there are really nice sites near the bridge, so it will be a while before the oil disperses.

Sorry...but...What???
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

For what it's worth, there are no shellfish beach closures in Jefferson County south of Bangor. Beach closure is directly opposite the base. We have moderate to strong southerly winds forecast through Friday night so that should help keep it out of The Hood south of Bangor. I'd go out in the boat to look but surface conditions with the wind make it impossible to make much of an evaluation of the southerly extent. I called Jefferson County this morning for an update and they just refer me to yesterday's press release. With the southerly winds we've had since the spill I'm optimistic it won't affect our dive sites in Dabob Bay or further south. I'll know for sure Saturday.