feeding the fish

General banter about diving and why we love it.
banjofish
Just Settling In

feeding the fish

Post by banjofish »

I thought Id take some food to feed the wolf eels or gpo's we encounter but Im not sure of what works and how to transport it.. any ideas??...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: feeding the fish

Post by spatman »

Here's an idea: don't feed the wildlife.
banjofish
Just Settling In

Post by banjofish »

Why? If your going to be cute..at least tell me a reason for your smart remark.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Thanks. I am both cute and smart.

Below are a couple of links to articles about why it isn't a good idea to feed the wildlife. But if you're too lazy to read them, here's a quick summary:

These are wild animals, not pets. They shouldn't learn to associate divers with handouts. Go enjoy them as nature intended, and not turn them into a petting zoo for your amusement.

More reading:

http://reefwatch.wordpress.com/2011/06/ ... wild-fish/

http://m.myfwc.com/research/saltwater/f ... h-feeding/

http://deeperout.com/scuba-divers-feeed-fish-wildlife/
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

banjofish wrote:I thought Id take some food to feed the wolf eels or gpo's we encounter but Im not sure of what works and how to transport it.. any ideas??...
Not a good idea anywhere, but if you are diving in any of the Marine Conservation Areas, it is against the law. The Sund Rock MCA has the relevant RCW posted.
We are just visitors, upsetting the balance between predators and prey has unknown consequences. We do know the system functions quite well with out our interference, no matter how well intentioned.

Jerry
banjofish
Just Settling In

Post by banjofish »

Whats wrong with your attitude administrator. To lazy to read...How did I deserve that? What Have I done to you to be treated this way..I asked a question that should deserve a well thought out respectful answer..Not an insult. I can see why this website is on its way down hill fast with the attitudes Ive seen on these threads.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Spearfishing - CHECK
Rebreathers - CHECK
Feeding wild animals: CHECK

Banjo's next topic....
DIR: Does that mean that everybody else is doing it wrong?

:)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

banjofish wrote:Whats wrong with your attitude administrator. To lazy to read...How did I deserve that? What Have I done to you to be treated this way..I asked a question that should deserve a well thought out respectful answer..Not an insult. I can see why this website is on its way down hill fast with the attitudes Ive seen on these threads.
No offense intended, but after you referred to me as "cute", I figured you had a thicker skin. My apologies.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

BillZ wrote:Spearfishing - CHECK
Rebreathers - CHECK

Banjo's next topic....

I could be cavalier about deco, or shining a light at a hotel.

And the go-to, deep air diving.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Rebreathers - CHECK

Banjo's next topic....

Split vs. paddle fins!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Is there more than one troll in nwdc?
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Jeff Pack wrote:
Rebreathers - CHECK

Banjo's next topic....

I could be cavalier about deco, or shining a light at a hotel.

And the go-to, deep air diving.
Ya know I just don't see what all the fuss is about these can light things.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

feeding the fish

Post by kdupreez »

to the OP.

Don't feed the wildlife.

people at sundrock have been feeding the wolfeels freegin hotdogs and some then bloat up and died.

second reason, they start to associate people with food and get aggressive when a diver comes by without food.

same reason you don't feed bears in your back yard.

stupid idea.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Linedog wrote:
Ya know I just don't see what all the fuss is about these can light things.
Me neither, only a complete idiot with bad buddy skills, needs anything past a 300 lumen pen light.

Then there are those people with those UK light canons, that just drop them, and they dangle around like a disco ball shining in all directions.

IMO, no one needs those big lights. Instead, everyone should have hi intensity laser pointers. Maybe the fish will chase the pointer around, or at least have fun illuminating your dive buddy.
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Bassman has a story about laser pointers and dogfish from several years ago...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

do tell....

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I don't know all the details, you'll have to ask him, but it had something to do with the dogfish charging and bumping him.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:Bassman has a story about laser pointers and dogfish from several years ago...
I believe that was actually the very first "official" Club Dive, held at Sund Rock many many moons ago. We even rented the trailer at RestAWhile for $25 pp pn and the owners had an oyster bbq for us.

Said incident happened on a night dive on the north wall. I believe Calvin was on that dive as well.

Turns out that Dogfish LOVE laser pointers on night dives. Triggers their "must devour" reflex.

They are, after all, sharks. :calvin:

This was also the dive where we were surrounded by several dogfish (a school?!) who were passing by so close that said Mr. Bassman thought to himself "Hey, I'll bet I could grab one of these by the tail" and did. I learned how to back kick that night as said very annoyed dogfish was flashing back and forth 'inches' from my face and Mr. Bassman is like "What the heck do I do with it now?!?" as he is holding the tail pointing the writhing end with teeth at me :eek:

Barely escaped with our lives.

Thus began Mr. Bassman's long career of molesting wildlife, although he did immediately retire the laser pointer.

At least that is sort of the story as best as I can recollect. :rawlings:

My suggestion is feeding hotdogs to Moray eels. That seems to work best. You can google the video for the proper technique.

Oh, and I just sadly realized that this is April 1st so there are those reading this story who will probably not believe it. Too bad. It's the only thing posted on the site today that is actually true. With witnesses.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Tom Nic wrote:... although he did immediately retire the laser pointer...
Based on what he told me, that was largely due to the fact that dogfish tend to not only home in on the "dot", but also on the "source" as well. :eek:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I though this was gonna be a thread about sea sickness. :huge:

Carry on...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

mpenders wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:... although he did immediately retire the laser pointer...
Based on what he told me, that was largely due to the fact that dogfish tend to not only home in on the "dot", but also on the "source" as well. :eek:
Actually, they kind of ignored the "dot", sort of the anti-cat. They would find the dot and then immediately follow it back to the source - perhaps a function of the particulate in the water making the beam more visible than it would be in your living room.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Back on subject--- I had one of the wolfies at Sund rock try to eat the orange fingers on my dry gloves because he thought they were hot dogs! Not a good thing! Feeding wildlife is always ill advised unless you are in a preserve or zoo where it is promoted. These are potentially dangerous animals that can inflict real harm if you stimulate their feeding mode. We are guests in their world and should do as little as possible to disrupt their world or change their behavior. Hotdogs are bad for people so you know they can't be good for the beasties!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I have to admit I was wondering where this was going on here. Is there something about the OP that is not apparent to me or others. I.E., DID I/WE MISS SOMETHING???
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Rebreathers - CHECK

Banjo's next topic....

hmmm, didn't notice the pattern til you pointed it out. And, I missed the spearfishing thread. I will have to look for that one.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Feeding wolfies definitely makes them more aggressive ... as anyone who dives Day Island Wall knows. Those wolfies are fed herring and squid by divers on a regular basis, and whenever they see a diver they come charging over to see what's for lunch. I recall a dive we did a few years back with Peter Rothschild, when he spent a few minutes fending off an aggressive wolfie with his scooter. Peter wears white drygloves, and to a wolfie those look like a handful of squid. The poor thing was just looking for a handout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/