Scuba Attack

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Scuba Attack

Post by YellowEye »

"A scuba diver found herself in danger last week when another diver rushed towards her ripping out her air supply 50 feet underwater off Hawaii’s Kona coast."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1327349/watch ... ona-coast/
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Scuba Attack

Post by Penopolypants »

Holy shnikey!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Wow.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Good argument for a bungled secondary and a dive knife, there.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Somebody needs a course in underwater combat :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Woah.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It looks as though the diver pulled the person's second stage out of her mouth. Would that be a major issue for anyone here? I'd just pop my backup in my mouth and wonder what the hell had just happened.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:It looks as though the diver pulled the person's second stage out of her mouth. Would that be a major issue for anyone here? I'd just pop my backup in my mouth and wonder what the hell had just happened.
The article isn't very well written, but I think they're trying to say that diver A ripped diver B's second stage out of her mouth, not because diver A needed a breath, but as an act of assault.....perhaps because he was poaching? Or something?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... somebody's been watching old Sea Hunt reruns ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Saw this on the news. They said the victim was taking pictures of reef damage/destruction, at about 40 fsw, and that apparently the person did not want their picture taken. There was a bit of video, but it was far enough away you couldn't tell clearly what was going on.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
LCF wrote:It looks as though the diver pulled the person's second stage out of her mouth. Would that be a major issue for anyone here? I'd just pop my backup in my mouth and wonder what the hell had just happened.
The article isn't very well written, but I think they're trying to say that diver A ripped diver B's second stage out of her mouth, not because diver A needed a breath, but as an act of assault.....perhaps because he was poaching? Or something?
There's a lot of friction between legal tropical fish collecting and conservationists in that area.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

whats sketchy on this is the initial cover story was a reef watcher filming, and now we find that they werent documenting reef stuff, but actually documenting reef fish catchers,with multiple people filming, etc.

I'm not saying I agree with wild catching tropical fish, but it wasnt some sort of reef documentation project either.

sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Sea Shepard is really making the most of the incident. I disagree with Sea Shepard when they call this attempted murder. Looks more like a 'Leave me the he** alone', assualt.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-med ... cking-1585
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:... somebody's been watching old Sea Hunt reruns ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just for you Bob.... The knife fight starts at 20:00.... :supz:

phpBB [video]
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... it always does ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

sitkadiver wrote:Sea Shepard is really making the most of the incident. I disagree with Sea Shepard when they call this attempted murder. Looks more like a 'Leave me the he** alone', assualt.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-med ... cking-1585
It was a poor choice of getting a point across. The diver could have just chucked her mask instead... They did provoke the incident with multiple film crews all filming the guys. Something was bound to happen, and they got the result they were hoping for. Something they could capitalize on...

Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

one thing for sure She had quite the bite going on that regulator. Took the bite pads right off. I agree it should not have been a issue for a experienced diver but now days it really could have been a problem with some of the certified divers. I am sure you all would agree with me that no one has the right to touch another like that. If he did not like her filming I am curios why he did not just go for the camera
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

YES, I agree. I know all of you would have been fine. But this would have freaked me out a litle. I will be honest. And if it was my daughter it would have scared her into not going diving again. I haven't even made an attempt to show it to her. I hope she doesn't see it.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i would have swam after the dude and turned of his air, or cut his air line ...LOL then i would have pulled up the anchor and they would be stuck with out a boat...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Scary situation for sure. My gut reaction too would be "he wouldn't have made it that close"... but if you think about ACTUALLY being in that situation, it would be a different story I think than how any of us would think we'd react. Some would have fought it more before they got that close, others similar to how she reacted. But I'm not sure I'd want to swim in for an underwater fight that could result in your own death after recovering from someone coming at you, right?

You'd have to assume the guy would be just as willing to take it a step further if you actually engaged with him and tried to retaliate... i dunno. You'd like to think that if you had a knife pulled by the time he was swimming at you, that he would think twice before reachin' for your reg...

also - not defending the Sea Shepard people in any way. watching a single episode of whale wars pretty much makes me question the rest of the story here that maybe wasn't caught on video.... I tend to agree this was likely a desired response from the team filming - doesn't excuse his actions in any way though.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

thefeve wrote: it would be a different story I think than how any of us would think we'd react.
I know how I'd react, on the trigger waving goodbye over my shoulder. :supz:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
john gearhart II
Avid Diver

Post by john gearhart II »

Wow I cant believe that what a schmuck for doing that if I had been in the women's place I would have gotten on there boat and waited to kick his butt across the boat 3 or 4 times