Kayakers in EUWP 5-31

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Kayakers in EUWP 5-31

Post by LadyGoDiver »

So we saw three kayaks tooling around in EWUP today. Two passed through the park, headed south and one put in on the north end of the park and headed I know not where.

Isn't that a no-no? I thought boats were not allowed in the EUWP. Who enforces the divers-only policy in the park?
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Kayakers in EUWP 5-31

Post by H20doctor »

Yep.. happens all the time in the summer
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LadyGoDiver wrote: Who enforces the divers-only policy in the park?
Nobody. Edmonds has no marine patrol.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Hm. I always thought it was just powerboats prohibited in there, not ALL boats. I'd have likely been a kayaker out there myself if I lived closer, without really checking the exact wording of the rule...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yup ... motors. Kayakers are allowed ... divers on scooters are not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Grateful Diver wrote:Yup ... motors. Kayakers are allowed ... divers on scooters are not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Perhaps that's the unwritten code (for 'yaks), but the actual legality is otherwise... I found this online at http://www.mrsc.org/mc/edmonds/edmonds0 ... s0532.html

5.32.060 Underwater park regulations.
In addition to the regulations applicable to all parks as set forth in the Edmonds City Code, the following additional regulations shall be applicable to underwater parks and it is unlawful for any person to violate the terms thereof.

A. Boating and Submersible Vehicles. Subject to written permission as provided below, it is unlawful for any person to water ski, operate any type of boat or watercraft of every kind and description, including, but not limited to boats propelled manually, by wind or motor driven, over or within any underwater park or delineated ingress or egress area into or away from said underwater park, or within 200 feet in any direction of said underwater park or area delineated for ingress or egress into or away from said underwater park; provided:

1. Nonsubmersible paddle boards, rubber rafts or inner tubes used as safety flotation devices by scuba divers or free divers shall not be prohibited; and

2. Inflatable rafts or boats propelled manually may be used for instructional purposes only during classes conducted by an instructor certified by agencies set forth in ECC 5.32.070D herein.

B. Scuba Diving and/or Free Diving. Subject to the written permission provided below, it is unlawful for any person to scuba dive and/or free dive within 300 feet of any public boat launching or mooring facilities and/or public ferry landings except in city owned or leased underwater parks.

C. Nonswimming areas may be designated as set forth in ECC 5.10.080 through 5.10.082. [Ord. 2531, 1985; Ord. 1991 § 2, 1978; Ord. 1507 § 1, 1970].

As much as I think a kayak prohibition is silly, they do have one. :nutty:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

They arrested one of the kayaking people today for being in the underwater park
file.jpeg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

:rofl:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

So, if I am reading this correctly both rule 1 and 2 apply together? In otherwords, it would appear from rule 1 that a scuba diver can use an inflatable kayak under the rule, but then if rule 2 must also apply (by the and) that applies only to classes taught by an instructor?
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.