Pumpkin Carving!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Pumpkin Carving!

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Everyone!

Happy Saturday! I hear there might be a pumpkin carving competition at Edmonds Underwater-park? Does anyone have details? It sounds really fun!

On my way to go diving at Three Tree! Safe diving everyone!
:) ScubaJess
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
archisgore
Aquaphile

Re: Pumpkin Carving!

Post by archisgore »

Oh I think this might be the yearly Marker Buoy Dive Club thing. There are plenty of carving events though. I've never taken part in one, but really really want to.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I did my first one last year with Oregon City Scuba at Sunrise Motel in Hoodsport. It was tough but fun. Reminded me of being a kid in a pool trying to hold a ball under water.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Edmonds Carve is Underwater Sports.

The Marker Buoys + Boeing Seahorses are carving at Alki shelter (across from Starbucks) on Oct 25th, meet time 9 AM. $5 donation to a designated charity. Rules are simple: you can draw on your pumpkin, but cannot carve it until 10' underwater. You have an hour and must dive with a buddy. Judging by categories is from divers, family, and anyone we can round up from the folks come by to gawk.
It's more fun that serious, and seriously fun. It is open to anyone, not just MBDC or Seahorses, though if not a member of either we do ask you sign a release.

So, Archis, time for you to show up! :supz:
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks for the info!
I really want to go watch! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Unless you dive there ain't much to watch. People go in with a pumpkin, people come out with a 'jack-o-lantern'....of some sort.
It's WAY more fun to do it. You don't have to be great. UW pumpkin carving is not high art like some of the incredible stuff you see on the net. You have all the compromises of scuba and a pumpkin trying to float away + 1 hour to carve it in. Come up with a serviceable idea, and go for it.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Ok you talked me into it!
I'm going to have to try! I will have to practice my above water pumpkin skills! I usually just color mine with sharpie!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Sharpie works great. A pre-carve of a concept is a good idea. I put mine in a mess bag with a double zipper, bring extra loose weights, and achieve buoyancy at the site while gearing up. A plastic box with various cutting tools goes in the bag. Give some thought to how you will get it in and out. If possible bring yourself a buddy to share the experience.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.