Question about Saltwater SP - low tide and eelgrass

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scubajen
Avid Diver

Post by scubajen »

Can anyone tell me if eelgrass is exposed at low tide at Saltwater State Park? I know we trek across a lot of shells and rocks and barnacles at low tide to reach the water, but does the eelgrass remain submerged?

Thanks for any feedback.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Re: Question about Saltwater SP - low tide and eelgrass

Post by stphnmartin »

I've never seen the eel grass exposed there. I've experienced some mega low tides where you walk most of the way out, but the eel grass remained submerged.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
scubajen
Avid Diver

Post by scubajen »

Thanks, stphnmartin. That was my recollection, but I can't recall if I have ever been there at a low low tide.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's a slight slope there so the somewhat gravelly flats drain and the eelgrass doesn't like to dry out that much. So its limited to below the lowest tides at saltwater. Some other flatter muddier flats have enough puddles and the sediment stays wet enough that you can get eelgrass that's poking up (just barely) on the lowest tides. Freshwater Bay in Clallam Co. comes to mind.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Here's a pic of Saltwater at the lowest tide this year. See how close the buoy's are? No eelgrass
scubajen
Avid Diver

Post by scubajen »

bradmond, I somehow failed to see this photo you posted back in November. Thank you!