Turning into a WWW

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Turning into a WWW

Post by LCF »

No, not warm water -- warm WEATHER.

I want to go diving, really I do. I don't mind that the water is going to be cold. I'm used to that, and properly equipped for it.

What I don't want to do is go out in the dark rain and the wind and go to the dive site and get my gear together and get dressed. I don't want to go outside, period; and driving anywhere in the dark and getting geared up in the dark and the rain . . . well, I can't wrap my head around it, and I'm not having any luck making it happen.

Anybody else found themselves in this place and found a way out of it? I need to, because I just got the news that my beautiful horse is injured and laid up for six months . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Re: Turning into a WWW

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Dive before work in the morning. I have also considered driving to a local site in Drysuit. Then thought how crazy that is. :-)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Lynne, so sorry to hear of your horse!!

I have drove to the dive site on a very wet day with a drysuit on. Or buddy up with pogiguy, he's got a tent and Mr heater and good laughs! Packing yourself a coffee thermos and some chocolate also makes things more fun. Ride in a car with seat warmers and bring a blanket to wrap around yourself on the way home or at the pub after. Have your stuff as fully prepared as possible for when you reach the site. Consider going to a more exciting site with good friends to up your motivation... once you get in, winter diving is great! I'd go with you soon for some photo fun if you like!

I actually like the solitude of winter diving. And night diving is usually better diving.

Wind is the toughest to deal with... I was hoping to go to norranders tomorrow but had to call it off due to the marine forecast! in lieu of that, explore the north facing sites like Alki junkyard. (I've seen seaspiders, lumpies, wolfies and so much more there)

Hope that helps!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have to agree, wind is the killer cold and wet, no big deal but if the surf is up the dive is over. I wear my undergarment to and from the site and the first thing I do at the site is don my suit. Only takes a couple of minutes max and I'm warm and dry.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I agree with these guys!! Suit up at home and bring lots of coffee & chocolate!
I hope we can dive together sometime! :) don't give up!
The viz has been really good lately and the critters seem happier to see us! Also I suggest keeping a blanket in your car for after. I don't have a snuggie but I'm thinking that might be a excellent investment!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
:) ScubaJess
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Chose sites with indoor changing facilities. I went back to Edmonds last weekend for the first time in ~3yrs and was seriously spoiled by the bathrooms. And all the wet suit divers milling about made me feel a lot warmer too :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... a popup canopy with walls and a propane heater does wonders ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I just focus on all of the positives of winter diving:
- Great vis
- Great current windows
- Ample parking at the divesites
- Less yahoo's at the boat launch and on the water
jpa
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jpa »

I can't believe you all have missed the obvious answer. She needs a bailout pony.

My wife has multiple horses so at any one time hopefully one is not broken.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

jpa wrote:She needs a bailout pony.
Epic. A good pun should feel like a fist to the gut. :boucegreen: