Alki Cove2 Cleanup - SUCCESS!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Alki Cove2 Cleanup - SUCCESS!

Post by kdupreez »

NEWS RELEASE

FOR RELEASE: Monday, June 15, 2015

Activist Barge Environmental Debris Cleanup Effort a Complete Success!

SEATTLE, WA – Two teams of GUE Seattle SCUBA divers entered the water today at 7:00 AM and located the debris field consisting of concrete blocks and steel cables. The five GUE Seattle divers attached mooring line and buoys so a commercial salvage operation could easily locate and remove the debris. At approximately 9:00 AM a commercial dive team from Global Diving & Salvage arrived on site and deployed surface-supplied divers into the water. After approximately three hours of work, the Global Diving & Salvage dive team had safely successfully removed all debris without causing any further damage to the dive park.

On Monday, May 19th, 2015, an environmental activist group moored a barge known as the Solar Pioneer in Alki Seacrest Park in protest of Shell’s Polar Pioneer arctic drilling rig housed at Seattle’s Harbor Island Terminal 5. In the process of mooring, the activist group dropped concrete blocks and thick steel mooring cables and inadvertently damaged a popular underwater park known as Alki Cove 2. As the barge rose and fell with the tides, the steel mooring cables swept the area underneath causing additional collateral damage to the marine environment as well as endangering recreational divers. Today, the Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) Seattle cleanup project was successfully completed and all concrete blocks and the steel mooring cables were recovered and properly disposed of.

We would like to sincerely thank Royal Dutch Shell, Foss Maritime, and John Sellers (the operator of the Solar Pioneer), for financially contributing to the cleanup effort and future restoration work; Laura James for her assistance in video documentation; and Global Diving & Salvage for their skillful work in removing the debris without causing any additional environmental damage.

-END-

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Alki Cove2 Cleanup - SUCCESS!

Post by Linedog »

:joshsmith: :supz: :funky:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Congratulations to the whole team for an exemplary job. Double bonus points for picking a nice day with good viz.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Fantastic news...Great job to everyone involved!!!