How much have you spent so far?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

How much have you spent so far?

Post by Iqjumpuw »

How much have you guys spent on all of your diving equipments since you started diving? Let's not include any trip expenses or air/nitrox refills.

I have been diving a little under two years so far and I think I've spent around $3000. It would have been less if I hadn't bought a used drysuit that did not fit me perfectly but I learned my lesson. I have 3 steel tanks now.

Of course my wife only thinks I spent about $1000. :rofl:

How about you guys?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: How much have you spent so far?

Post by Norris »

HA HA HA I wouldn't even entertain to think of what I have spent in my 6ish years of diving..

Gear
Training
Scooter

OUCH!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Not enough fingers, and I don't even dive CCR!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Oh man I'm dying to know how much you guys spent on just your gears. Running my numbers again, I think I actually spent about $3800... But I haven't purchased any underwater camera or video equipment yet. Not even a gopro.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Umm some of us have been diving 20yrs...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

And some have been diving 30 years. And gear back then was almost as many dollars as it is now, but the dollars were bigger.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Been diving since 1999, if I could have done it all over and know what I know now. I coulda saved a huge chunk of money. But with less that 10,000 dives I still have lots to learn.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I'm on my second rebreather. I don't even want to know.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I just crunched some numbers and can safely say more than 100 dollars
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've got about $30,000 of diving gear in my garage right now. That doesn't even account for the drysuits and other equipment I've worn out since I started diving and no longer have.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Hey Bob what's your address again? :eric:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

more than I care to admit.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Norris wrote:Hey Bob what's your address again? :eric:
I can sell it to you. PM me.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Probably $12K related to classes.

And maybe $10K on gear.

Probably $15K on scuba vacations
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Don't even want to think about it....
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Iqjumpuw wrote:Let's not include any trip expenses...
No? Really? The gear cost is paltry in comparison. After 30+ years, the total for gear+travel is probably north of six figures (in today's dollars).

And I don't regret a penny of it. Well, there was that one disastrous trip to Bonaire...
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Uh, scoots, plethora of tanks, different computers over the years, boat project... About... Less than others! Oh goodness, I don't ever want to know, especially since the lovely wife is in the middle of playing catch up!... I still tell people it is a cheap hobby as long as you don't go too far down the rabbit hole! ROFL...
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Two drysuits, three BP&W combos, two full sidemount rigs, regs for all of the above, over a dozen main tanks, a scooter project - yeah it's probably best if I don't add it up. That's just in a little over three years.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The key is having a diving wife.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

Is it because you guys keep getting better gears? I was told that most dive equipments would last 10+ years as long as I take good care of them. Did you guys buy second set of gears as back up? I can see how dive vacations can easily cost more than the gear itself. That's why I wanted to just focus on the gears.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

If you don't have an attitude of "keeping up with the Jones'", then your gear should last you a long time. It also depends on what kind of diving you predict in future years to come, but if it's all just recreational diving, and nothing else, then your gear is sufficient from what I've seen. My regulator lasted 17 years until I bought a new one 4 years ago.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Iqjumpuw wrote:Is it because you guys keep getting better gears? I was told that most dive equipments would last 10+ years as long as I take good care of them. Did you guys buy second set of gears as back up? I can see how dive vacations can easily cost more than the gear itself. That's why I wanted to just focus on the gears.
In my case it's because (a) I'm an independent instructor, and without the resources of a dive shop I need a lot of extra equipment, (b) I got into tech diving about 8 years ago, and things like scooters and trimix computers are expensive, and (c) I dive a lot and tend to accumulate gear.

Once the scuba bug bites you, it doesn't really matter how much you spend. What matters is getting joy out of spending it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

It all started with recreational gear, then some gear was stolen while deployed. Recollected more recreational gear years later. Didn't like a few pieces of gear, then had to replace a lot of gear when I got into tech diving. And Tech diving is what I refer to as the "Rabbit Hole". If you stay out of it, recreational gear will last a long time. After the Rabbit hole starts, extra regs for deco and stages, extra bottles for deco and stages, scoots cause swimming all that is for the birds! ;) Then more training, and you think recreational training isn't cheap, Tech classes tend to be a grand plus. Then onto sidemount endevors, which means a few more hoses, a new harness, splitting those doubles... and then... and then.... Rebreather one day.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you buy these
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=24224

You will need (2 hydros), then a backplate, a wing, another regulator, a canister light, the list goes on and on..

Once you are through with that, you will want ANOTHER set for a different gas mix.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

^^like
CAPTNJACK - 2012**