Question

General banter about diving and why we love it.
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Question

Post by verrinne »

Its summer vacation so I don't have much to do. So for future reference what is the best website for buying scuba gear
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Question

Post by Desert Diver »

Probably depends on what you want and who has it and what their price is. I don't think you will find a single best source. DRIS is a great supplier.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

<insert "please consider supporting local dive shops" speech here>

That said, Northeast Scuba Supply often has competitive prices, too.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tacoma Scuba has one of the better brick and mortar stores around.

Dive gear express, Add helium (for sorb), or Cave Adventurers for online type items.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

<please support local dive shops>
But if you MUST shop online I would also the a Dive Gear Express plug into the fire.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

I do im saving up money to tech through Tacoma scuba. Just wondering for the websites.
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Didn't you just start diving? Like open water in the past couple months?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Christmas yes and i like learning and im very intreged by the tech diving
Because of the control you learn and depth.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Josh, definitely build up some years of experience first before going deeper. There's a LOT to learn. And tech diving is very costly -- if you are scraping for cash for basic gear, it probably will be a losing battle to tech dive.

But honestly, the best life is at 70' or less. I've done some deep diving, but got out because of that reason. There are plenty of adventures at shallower depths :)
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Okay, thankyou
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

<please support local dive shops>

Find what you like on line and then go to Tacoma Scuba and see if Josh can meet the prices. Its always nice to do bussness locally, plus Josh is a cool dude.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Ok thank you
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

verrinne wrote:Because of the control you learn and depth.
If you are looking for control - do something like GUE Fundamentals or UTD Essentials of Tech. It will not give you depth but plenty of opportunity to learn about controlling yourself underwater :)
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

I dove with the GUE crew last week and im considering it highly
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Will need to be 18+ to do any deco training. No agency/instructor will take a minor as a student.
The lower age limit for GUE fundamentals is 16 though.
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Yeah adolfi said I would still need a parent's consent which I understand. Adolfi is a gue instructor
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

For Fundamentals, which doesn't certify you for anything new. Actual deco training is 18+ only
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Leisurepro fo sho.

Just kidding!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

verrinne wrote:I dove with the GUE crew last week and im considering it highly
Wassup brah? :)
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

If you have a lot of time, you should spend it diving and improving your skills and enjoyment! :joshsmith: If you must window shop, I would second http://divegearexpress.com They sell proper gear an not a lot of BS. They have big informational sections surrounding the inventory. I would say most plastic, gimmicky waste of $$ stuff is not usable with heavy gloves in low viz, nor would it be allowed in the technical diving world. 1/2 of technical dive training is about gear, how to set it up, how things are rigged, how to use it, what to get rid of at the swap meet.
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

The one issue I have is I can't drive yet. But next month I will.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

YellowEye wrote:And tech diving is very costly -- if you are scraping for cash for basic gear, it probably will be a losing battle to tech dive.
Very true words, I'm gearing up for a couple basic tech and mixed gas classes and it is tearing money out of my pocket extremely fast. Have dropped $3k so far and another $1k to go…and much of the gear I'm buying is used (and then paying to have it serviced).

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot needing a secondary computer/bottom timer… chock up another few hundred.

x4 on Dive Gear Express, I've bought a few things from them, speedy and the prices are good.
Last edited by McGlencoe on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+3 On dive gear express.... And your local dive shop!