Crabbing at Mukilteo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Crabbing at Mukilteo

Post by PapaZ »

A couple weeks ago, a post stated that the crabbing was still available at Mukilteo near the oil docks.

Planning to crab there Saturday and like to know what the latest information is related to the oil dock work.

Thanks,

PapaZ
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Re: Crabbing at Mukilteo

Post by Iqjumpuw »

It is officially off limits. We are not supposed to go there. With that being said, there won't be anyone there to stop you. It's dive at your own risk.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Iqjumpuw would you be so kind as to post the link to where you got your information that it is officially off limits. That first sentence emits conviction so I am curious. As far as I know this is still the "official" response...

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/ferrie ... ultimodal/

The work area around the tank farm pier will be closed to the public during construction. Recreational users, including divers, swimmers, and boaters are advised to use caution.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris wrote:Iqjumpuw would you be so kind as to post the link to where you got your information that it is officially off limits. That first sentence emits conviction so I am curious. As far as I know this is still the "official" response...

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/ferrie ... ultimodal/

The work area around the tank farm pier will be closed to the public during construction. Recreational users, including divers, swimmers, and boaters are advised to use caution.
Click the link in the text you referenced above. - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/F9 ... 015_v4.pdf
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Right, for when construction begins. I have not been down there for a bit. Has the dock dismantling begun?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

It hasn't begun yet but that flyer does clearly say
"work zone closed to recreational users beginning June 2015"

I still see people with boats dropping pots and divers going there though.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

They have started to do asbestos mitigation and they are starting to dismantle the dock. There are buoys around the dock warning boaters to stay away. The other day my buddy saw a boat enter the work zone to drop some pots and they were approached by a work boat almost immediately and told to leave.
Of what happens after they quit working for the day is another story. If you do choose to ignore the warnings I would exercise extreme caution around the dock as we do not know how the dismantling has affected the dock's stability.
Mike
yadayada
Aquaphile

Post by yadayada »

The beach\water area behind the dock has now been open to public access for a while and people can walk from the Mukilteo Train Station parking area.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

So,....where is everyone going to crab after this area is (eventually) closed?

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

So we attempted some crabbing Friday morning and walked down to the Edgewater Beach access to check out the south side of the Fuel Dock. Crabbing is pretty much done with the big barges in place now at the western (shore) end of the pier with the pier almost bisected now. We did so some crabbing from the Tee-dock eastward, and the underwater noise from the construction was impressive. Bummer....
Attachments
WP_20150821_001.jpg
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

T-dock sign
T-dock sign
This sign was posted today. Pier demolition seems to be going quickly.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.