Deception Pass

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Deception Pass

Post by Ryan Nelson »

Is there going to be anyone at Deception Pass 8/23 diving from shore? Looks like a good window to dive.
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Re: Deception Pass

Post by Ryan Nelson »

I take it the nearly 70 people who viewed this thread are not going...? This site is too fuckin clicky. Last time I posted this I arrived to find several dozen divers many from this forum. Most of whom saw and read my thread but didnt bother posting that they would be there.

I'm just trying to guage how many people are going to chance it, after all thus isn't a typical dive. Just like to stack odds in my favor. If any of you clowns see me out there don't bother coming up to me.
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

Don't worry. With an attitude like that it's not likely anyone is going to come up to you anyway.

-Adrian
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

My point exactly. It takes a couple negative comments and 20 minutes, then someone is interested. My attitude was fine for a week whike no one bothered to reply. Like I said supery clicky.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I don't think a lot of people dive that site. It didn't cross my mind at all. If I were able to dive this weekend, I'd be out in the San Juans.

I don't think the group you saw there last time will be out there, they're elsewhere.

I don't know the site well so can't comment on the suitability of that date. Probably those that do know it well are cautious of insta-buddy situations or sharing info too publically where people who could get themselves hurt. I'd suggest giving a little context on your experience and ask to get to know as a diver who knows the site, build up some dives together and I'm sure they'll be happy to show you.

Another option is to do it by boat. This is what I did. Lu Jac's occasionally does it and I think its a great, safer way to get to know the site.
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

I've dove the site many times. I saw that GUE will not be there. Just trying to get a guage of people who might be chancing a shire dive as well. Thanks for the reply. 27 percent of the people registered on this site viewed this thread without commenting.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

My $.02 -
Ryan Nelson wrote:...Just trying to get a guage of people who might be chancing a shire dive as well...
Ryan Nelson wrote:...I'm just trying to guage how many people are going to chance it, after all thus isn't a typical dive. Just like to stack odds in my favor....
These come across much differently than your original post, which could be interpreted as someone looking for a buddy.
Ryan Nelson wrote:Is there going to be anyone at Deception Pass 8/23 diving from shore? Looks like a good window to dive.
This is nothing personal, Ryan - but I have absolutely no idea what kind of dive buddy you are. Deception Pass is not the place I would choose to find out. You agree this isn't a typical dive, so I expect you understand where I am coming from. I would need to log some underwater time with ANYONE before diving the pass with them. It's a self-preservation thing.

We have lots of dives every week that are open to divers of all ability levels. Come dive with us and get to know us - and let us get to know you. We just might have some fun. :partyman:

I'm generally hesitant to openly discuss dive planning for advanced level sites with divers I don't know. Especially if I don't know whether they have the skills and abilities necessary to keep themselves safe.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Ryan Nelson wrote:My point exactly. It takes a couple negative comments and 20 minutes, then someone is interested. My attitude was fine for a week whike no one bothered to reply. Like I said supery clicky.
Similar to what mpenders said, we don't really know you. You have a total of 7 posts since you registered last year, for one thing. And do you know anyone from this site personally? Can anyone we know vouch for your skills as a diver?

Take some time to get to know the folks here and do some basic dives with them before you condemn these divers as clique-y solely because no one responded to a post from a stranger about diving a more advanced site.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

And I read a lot of posts without ever intending to do a dive at the site being discussed. I personally don't really want to dive Deception Pass again but I still read the posts about it. So, just because X number of divers viewed your post without posting may not mean much.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

It's not a heavily dived site by most people. There's a lot of potential risk, variability in planning, and most people aren't going to go insta- buddy at a site with that high of a potential to have a large problem. So yes the majority of the 70 people that saw the post aren't diving it, which doesn't mean it's because it's "clicky."

Maybe you should evaluate the fact that you constantly sound mad or stand off-ish because someone may or may not be going there... The group you met last time is one of the few groups that I've met that dive that site from SHORE semi-regularly. They are a very inviting group of well trained divers, who dive regularly, I'd suggest hitting them up about it. And meet some of the divers around here before you decide on all of them.

More "advanced" dives in general people do prefer to have previous experience diving with them.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

No one with any sense is going to dive DP with someone they have not already done some diving with.

Personally I looked at the posting out of curiosity. Then I checked currents for that day to see if you were nuts. (a bit on the large side IMO, :nutty: but not unreasonable). Now I wait and find out what the reports are like.....if anyone comes back. :popcorn: :)

Sometimes even reports are somewhat sketchy. People that don't know the dangers and the very thin margin for error here might make an assumption that it's and easier dive than it actually is. My first dive there was benign. Anyone with basic buoyancy skills could have done it. I have never seen a profile like that again.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi, and welcome to NWDC.

I don't know anything about Deception Pass, but I do know that there are many friendly and helpful people around here.

Maybe we started off on the wrong foot. Let's try again?
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

I have a question about the technique of DP diving. We have single tanks and usually dive to 45 to 50 ft up to 40 minutes dives. It was advised to us to surface swim to under the bridge about 20 min before slack and drop there for better vis and more life. Has anybody done it in that matter? We usually it and wait for slack at kelp bed, but now wanting to explore further and have a longer drift dive.

Any advice will be appreciated. We are experienced divers and not looking for partners per se but if a diving guru or two wanted to join us it would be just fine.
pardon my honesty
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

The dive went amazing. Dove sunday around 11am. Enjoyed it so much we dove it again monday at noon. Had the place to ourselves with the exception of Jack whom we saw on Monday. Image
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's awesome, glad you had two great dives! Any uw pics by chance?
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Ryan Nelson wrote:The dive went amazing. Dove sunday around 11am. Enjoyed it so much we dove it again monday at noon. Had the place to ourselves with the exception of Jack whom we saw on Monday.
Glad you had a nice dive. It was also on our short list of dive sites for Sunday - but we wimped out on the long drive to get up there and dove locally instead. How was vis?
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

Vis was ok, maybe 15 feet both days. ImageImageImageImage
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

Has anybody done it at night? The exchange is usually lower at night than during the day.
pardon my honesty
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

very cool pics, thanks for sharing!
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

Has anybody done it at night?
pardon my honesty
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scooby branch wrote:Has anybody done it at night?
I believe the park/access is closed at night to non-campers.

Additionally, if you screw it up, you are unlikely to be found drifting in Rosario Strait (maybe the next day they'll find your body if your family is lucky)

Don't dive sites like this at night please.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them with us.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Talked to a pretty adventurous woman that claimed to dive it at night. She seemed to have gotten to know the Rangers a bit. No way to verify that.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

We would camp and talk to the rangers. I don't see the difference in doing it day vs night once you are comfortable with the site. The scariest night dive we did was Salt creek when we did it for the first time at night. It was with a group so it made the whole difference. I would like to gather a group of 4 to 6 divers to do DP at night in the next few weeks.

The reason why im so keen on doing it at night is there is only 3 more days in September when the exchange is favorable to diving it during the day. We will be leaving the state for California job contract in October so its our only few chances. The low exchanges at night will open more opportunities for dives in September. :angelblue:
pardon my honesty
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scooby branch wrote:We would camp and talk to the rangers. I don't see the difference in doing it day vs night once you are comfortable with the site. The scariest night dive we did was Salt creek when we did it for the first time at night. It was with a group so it made the whole difference. I would like to gather a group of 4 to 6 divers to do DP at night in the next few weeks.

The reason why im so keen on doing it at night is there is only 3 more days in September when the exchange is favorable to diving it during the day. We will be leaving the state for California job contract in October so its our only few chances. The low exchanges at night will open more opportunities for dives in September. :angelblue:
Seriously? "No difference"?

Have you done it before? (ever)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.