Deception Pass

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Deception Pass

Post by scooby branch »

45 min bottom time
pardon my honesty
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

scooby branch wrote:I respect your opinions and the recent huge loss to the community. Although allow me to counter the above mentioned "strikes".

Strike one: we are intending to get the park's permission to dive the pass at night, just like we get a permission to dive Keystone jetty at night. Devalidated.
And when the Park Service wisely refuses to grant you permission to dive the Pass at night? Will you accept their decision, or simply blow it off as you have every other piece of advice in this thread?

-Adrian
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Wow! This is a tough crowd! 500 dives makes you a beginner? 20 years ago 100 dives in the Northwest made me a better than average diver on a Mexican boat. I think I'm seeing more clearly what "Clicky" means.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Desert Diver wrote:Wow! This is a tough crowd! 500 dives makes you a beginner? 20 years ago 100 dives in the Northwest made me a better than average diver on a Mexican boat. I think I'm seeing more clearly what "Clicky" means.
Yes when it comes some of the more difficult sites and DP you need your sh*t together. The currents can go from the surface to 140 feet in a minute and take you back up again that fast. The south wall of the little island in the center is really tough. Oh, and that's at slack!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Some folks are willing to accept more risk than others. Personally, I think those are some sweet exchanges, except for the night thing. I dont fear the night dive, its just an added element of risk to an already much higher risk dive. I remember the dive jeremy talks about, that was my first DP dive. I wound up just pushing off and letting the current carry me away from the Mosh pit of divers all banging about. But then it wound up being mostly a solo dive until I hooked up with some other divers.

Right nows not a good time to be publicly considering anything of substantially higher risk...You are guaranteed to get flamed mercilessly for it no matter what you say or how you defend it.

Just do it if you are so inclined, but quit posting and defending it.

If you are successful, you get to claim you cheated death for yet another day.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scooby branch wrote:I respect your opinions
Doesn't sound like it
scooby branch wrote: Strike one: we are intending to get the park's permission to dive the pass at night, just like we get a permission to dive Keystone jetty at night. Devalidated.
Unless you are a camper the park is closed at night to day users, period. Paying campers don't pay to stay there to have you prowling around.
scooby branch wrote: Strike two: the exchanges we are taking to do at night are in the vicinity 8 combined. All the day exchanges we dove so far were as high as 10. Devalidated. .
What is an exchange of 8 or 10?
scooby branch wrote: Strike three: It is much easier to see a lit up diver floating at night than a marker bui one with all the sun glare during the day. Devalidated.
The helo which typically comes from from port angeles won't fly at night. The CG will not search for you at night. Other boats may very well see your light and run over your trying to figure out what it is.
scooby branch wrote: Extra points: our dry suits are crushed neoprene, much harder to punch a hole in than a laminate . we have a set plan of shore retreat and treat the dive as a solo with a rigid plan of what to do in case of a separation .
Most of the DP shoreline you could barely climb in rock climbing shoes nevermind a drysuit. If you don't get back to the beach you're fucked.
scooby branch wrote:Do you mind to elaborate on where exactly that downward current was encountered in the Pass?
Anytime, any place
scooby branch wrote: No pun intended just trying to learn from you all and have a civil discussion.
So far you've rejected every piece of wisdom offered here.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote: Just do it if you are so inclined, but quit posting and defending it.
If you have the balls go right ahead. If you are looking for validation of the night diving DP here you won't find it. This reminds me of the swimming the Diamond Knot from shore thread a few yrs back.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Clique is defined as such
a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.

I don't really think this pertains. The thread started out with someone casting a line and looking for people that happen to be diving Deception Pass on a particular day. The OP was stricken that there were a lot of views and no bites. I would have taken that as a "no" as I would rather if I am looking for the same and subscribe to the thread so I get email alerts that I don't get 50 responses of NO.

Then the thread transformed into "anyone done it at night?" where quite a few seasoned divers answered that given the possible scenarios it would probably not be a good idea.

Opinions were asked, opinions were received and ignored or met with resistance. Bottom line is that you are a big boy and can dive where you like. Many divers disagree with the idea and neither side is going to convince the other. So rather than wasting time arguing quit posting about it and just do it.

Where the clique thing is wrong is that we are all divers, and many of us think alike in terms of doing our sport while continuing to be alive after doing so, but if there is one thing you cannot say about our diving community is that we are not readily willing to allow people to join us. This group has been an outstanding resource for making me the diver I am today.

Just my 2 psi
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

One cool thing I've learned from this thread is that I need to say "devalidated!" more often.
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

8 or 10 is referring to the combined knots of ebb and flow on a particular time of day. 8 is better than 10.

See you at the next Waves Tides and Currents class!
You're welcome.
pardon my honesty
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Sounds like a fun class
Last edited by Jeremy on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Just to chime in here,

I think what started the current line of conversation about diving Deception Pass at night was the question by scooby branch "has anyone dived it at night?"

Now we have a rule here at NWDC that unwanted advice should not be rammed down someone's throat, but rather offered when - and only when -someone asks for it. That being said I see both sides of it here: technically scooby branch did not ask "should I dive DP at night?", though that was more or less the answers he got. However, this is not a court of law and so I'm thinking that the answers he got were reasonably close and relevant to the actual question he did ask. That is, those were legit answers and advice to give. So, where does this leave us?

At this point he and a couple others have voiced their intent that they will not be deterred from executing their dive (presumably pending permission from the Parks Service) based on the many warnings from members here that doing this dive at night is not a good idea. So, I think we should all take a collective breath and let these divers do what they're going to do, without further arguing against it. That being said, if it were me, I'd heed the advice and wisdom of the folks cautioning against this particular dive plan, mostly because I respect said folks' wisdom and experience on the topic at hand, but also because the earth continues rotating and orbiting around the sun and at some point in the future there will be equally favorable tides during the daytime :partydance: but as I think I understand it one of you is moving away and so these night dives will be the last chance(s) you'll have to dive this site. So, I get it.

:bday:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: RE: Re: Deception Pass

Post by spatman »

Ryan Nelson wrote:since this thread has already jumped topic (thanks Penelope)
When I made these I was hoping for a round flat cookie. That didn't happen, instead they spread very little, but wow was I suprised by the taste! These cookies don't have brown sugar in them and I think that's why I like them so much. With the white sugar you taste the cinnamon, vanilla and oats. Also I think they taste even better in the freezer! Make sure to soak your raisins in hot water while making cookies so your raisins won't burn in the oven.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups rolled oats or 3 cups quick oats
1 cup raisins
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1⁄2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla (any amount would be fine)

Sift together dry ingredients; stir in rolled oats and raisins. Stir in oil, vanilla, eggs, and milk. Beat with a spoon until thoroughly blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 10 to 12 minutes.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

This is a delicious recipe, but it's even better when you add a pinch of flying goat sex.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I usually use the goat sex as an appetizer.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:I usually use the goat sex as an appetizer.
You're missing out, main course of goat, the llama sex is the side.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote: You're missing out, main course of goat, the llama sex is the side.
I dunno, they spit a lot.

Wait....never mind....they spit a lot!! :supz:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Not really, you have to really chase them about. Although llamas have 2 kinds of spit. One spit is like ours, and just sprays. Its not a big deal. Now they have a second spit, that comes from way down deep.

You want nothing to do with that one. I watched one of our sheep terrorizing one of our llamas, I heard the loudest, deepest, longest belch since my fraternity days, only to see this vile green spit spray across the side of the shed.

One year later, it was still there...

Like I said, you want nothing to do with that one... :)

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Jeff Pack wrote:Not really, you have to really chase them about. Although llamas have 2 kinds of spit. One spit is like ours, and just sprays. Its not a big deal. Now they have a second spit, that comes from way down deep.

You want nothing to do with that one. I watched one of our sheep terrorizing one of our llamas, I heard the loudest, deepest, longest belch since my fraternity days, only to see this vile green spit spray across the side of the shed.

One year later, it was still there...

Like I said, you want nothing to do with that one... :)

Even better!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Let's ride bikes!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

can lights?

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:can lights?
with or without the cord?
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Deception Pass

Post by AdrianSmith »

Jeff Pack wrote:If you are successful, you get to claim you cheated death for yet another day.
And that's how deviance is normalized.

-Adrian
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Hm, maybe I'll cancel that trip to the llama bordello after all.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

how long would you cook them at a higher elevation?