Working for free?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
JasonDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Working for free?

Post by JasonDiver »

I was told by someone that dive shops in the PNW do not pay Assistant Dive Instructors for the work they do assisting the instructor with open water scuba diving classes. Is that true?

If yes, wouldn't that mean there is no financial reason to be an AI?

Do divemasters get paid or just get tips for leading guided shore dive?
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Re: Working for free?

Post by Rockfish »

When I was actively assisting classes as a dive master I never was paid. The only "benefits" that I received was free air and a discount off shop prices for gear. The amount of shop fills that I got barely compensated me for my insurance.

Mike
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

It might vary from shop to shop.
I would expect that most AI's get paid (lower rate than instructors).
DM's live off tips, free air & coffee.
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I believe the assistant is a prerequisite for becoming an instructor so more looked at like a intern deal. But I hear they get free air fills and discounts off gear for the shop they are working out of
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Typically you get:
Free air
Shop discounts
Bigger chest to thump
And operate at a loss after you pay ~$400/yr for insurance.
Sorry to say that AIs and DMs have basically zero (financial) value in this market.

I don't know of anyone paying or getting paid for DM guided dives - via shore, boat or any other way either.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I get paid a little bit at my shop for DM and AI work -- Its paid per student.
I also get paid for conducting DSDs and Scuba review sessions.

Getting rich? nope but helping to cover the costs.

I can fill my own tanks and Nitrox (since I took the gas blender class)
Shop provides a discount on all gear purchases.

We do pay all our own insurance costs and are expected to lead a "fun event" a couple times a year at no pay.

Overall the shop treats their instructors, AIs and DMs like gold --- Every shop is different.
This one treats me great.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

As most others said, it's the norm in the area for DM's and AI's to receive no set compensation other than free air fills while helping the class and staff pricing from your associated LDS. It's mostly voluntary and from time to time you will receive tips from students or their parents. As FlyinV said, if you're working with/for a shop they will pay you to conduct the DSD and Scuba Review sessions, but after you pay for insurance you're mostly taking a loss. It's like Norris said, an advancement internship for those wanting to become instructors...

It's actually for the above reason that several instructors and shops have a harder time finding DM's and AI's willing to help. The cost for insurance and donation of time really don't pay off unless you're looking to become and instructor, and even then, you won't become rich as an instructor....
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
ffdiver
Just Settling In

Post by ffdiver »

People NEED to stop working for free!

Just because it's an activity you love doing doesn't mean you should be donating your time. You paid for the course, you paid for the gear. Now it's time for you to be paid to help others in the sport. Don't be the person that degrades the profession for someone else by working for free!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LOLOL you must be new to the scuba "industry" ;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

GO ON STRIKE AND BE HEARD!!!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

$15/hr for DM's NOW!!!!!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

DM's get cheaper helium
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeremy wrote:DM's get cheaper helium
And waste it exhaling :p
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

My shop also pays ALL of its dive pros. You are expected to assist or teach a class or give a presentation at least every 90 days or you lose your shop discount. It also offers a discount rate for PADI insurance but if you teach outside the shop, you need to get your own insurance. Like Jeff said, you aren't getting rich but it does help with some of the costs.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Funny story....

I got my DM solely to be able to charter dives with Lu Jac....which I haven't done yet.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeremy wrote:Funny story....

I got my DM solely to be able to charter dives with Lu Jac....which I haven't done yet.
You'd be better off buying your own boat than paying for your own insurance to cover accidents on someone else's.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Funny story....

You'd be better off buying your own boat than paying for your own insurance to cover accidents on someone else's.
Agreed...the more you know!

Looks like Lu Jacs boat and business are up for sale. Maybe the new owner will be like all the other charter boats here and it will be a moot issue
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Although I think boat ownership is probably more $$$, its more used too... :p

Bandito isn't a "bring your own DM" dealio thankfully.
ffdiver
Just Settling In

Post by ffdiver »

The problem is I'm not new to the scuba industry.

But it's your attitude that keeps the professionals in the industry from making living wages.

When I'm working, I expect to be paid and I don't provide my services for free.

The shop that you are "working" for is making a profit, why can't you. And don't give me the nonsense that they are not turning enough of a profit to pay their employees, that's crap.

If you are working you should be paid.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ffdiver wrote: But it's your attitude that keeps the professionals in the industry from making living wages.
Sorry but ummm no. Its the people who aren't willing to pay for quality services. Talk to the shops offering $149 open water specials and cranking them out in classes of 15 on their knees.
  • Yes I am a DM. I also have a captain's license.
    No my insurance is not current (I've never paid for it)
    I will never ever get insurance so that I can cover a commercial boat operator's butt. I will use my own boat or find another operator, or find another dive destination. They are getting paid I should be covered by them.
    I have more own compressor, free air is worthless to me (costs more in fuel to get it than its worth, I haven't dove actual 21% in probably 5 years)
    Perhaps if I could make back the costs of insurance over a year in a reasonable number of working dive days I might help out with more classes in an official capacity. But there are plenty of DMs and AIs with 75 dives who are eager to be groupies and work for free. Whatever I don't need the money, I have an actual career.
So I take out beginners and newer or less experienced divers on my boat or to shore sites because I enjoy the spirit of diving with them. I do it for free. If you don't add enough value to your offerings to compete with me that isn't my fault.
ffdiver
Just Settling In

Post by ffdiver »

Another problem is a point you touched on.

Fringe benefits are not a substitute for payment for services.

When I teach a Dm course I emphasize the professional part. I pay my DMs. If I can as an independent instructor there is no reason a shop can't.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The only way to make a small fortune in the dive industry is to start out with a large fortune.