Underwater photo books

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Underwater photo books

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I picked up several underwater photo books over the last couple months:

Luminous Seas -- by Richard Salas. Richard is a photo mentor of mine, and this is his third book. He has an exhibit at the seattle aquarium right now too. Really nice, high quality book, a bit pricey though. It was shot mostly in God's Pocket and Alaska. It also has a couple shots from Redondo when I took him there :). Various quotes throughout the book are a nice touch. Andy Lamb was a technical consultant.

The Salish Sea: Jewel of the Pacific Northwest. This is a really nice book, with photos from a variety of photographers, with both top side and underwater photos. It was done with the SeaDoc society. I haven't read the whole book yet but looks to give some good info on the region, and also gives some interesting critter facts. The text in this one is far the most comprehensive of these books.

Beneath Cold Seas, by David Hall. David got some really amazing photos of pacific whitesided dolphins and seals underwater, in addition to a variety of colorful critters. It has some really wonderful over/under shots. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'll bring them to an upcoming ThThTh or club dive if anybody wants to take a look.

Does anyone know of any other cool coldwater underwater photo books?

Thanks!
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Re: Underwater photo books

Post by derekcs »

Charles Seaborn's Underwater Photography, which is an instructional book from the film days, has a lot of good Puget Sound photos. It's actually what convinced me to learn scuba diving here.

I'll have to pick up Salas' new book.

Cold waters is slim pickings. Planet Ocean has a few good cold water photos. You might also try uwpmag.com, which is based out of England, and looking up some of the people from that. There's also a British Shore Dives guidebook that has some good photos.

Maybe we should just publish our own books.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram