I R a tech diver now (or some very intense days with Mel Clark!)

General banter about diving and why we love it.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

I R a tech diver now (or some very intense days with Mel Clark!)

Post by McGlencoe »

OK, so not really a tech diver, maybe a tech-lite diver is the (IANTD) way to describe it.

A few months ago an interesting dive at 97' got me thinking that I should probably start seeking out some more serious training to be more comfortable in the 100' range. Somehow a perfectly timed email got me a spot to do a very intense boot camp with Mel Clarke covering TDIs Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures and IANTDs Adv. Recreation Trimix courses.

To try and keep it short and sweet:

I had done all my previous dives on a single tank w/ pony and jacket BC and only one shallow dive prior to class on my new double 100s/long hose reg, backplate & wing set-up and that was only to try and get somewhat close in weight and get a quick feel for the gear….. So this was all new to me!

We started out most mornings at 0530 and was often up until 2200 (10 pm) or later doing homework, planning out deco dives or rigging up gear. We did two dives each day starting with a mellow 60'er at Muk and culminating in our play day dives out at Lake Crescent to a depth of 155' (actually 156'), yes I did break the cellar by 1' and had to do the longer/deeper deco schedule coming back up for that mistake!

Math, math and more math, haven't done that much math for many years, but by the time it was over, I was planning out dives with trimix (21% O2 min), calculating END, EAD, gas reserves, accelerated deco with anywhere from 50% to 100% O2 on paper and on the last day, was introduced to V-planner, which made all that math and planning so much easier.

As a bonus I was roomed with Etienne Rousseau from Quebec, Canada, a scuba shop owner who was down training for his Trimix instructor certification from Mel. Etienne was the perfect roomie for me as he took on the role of a mentor and we spent eves going over all the things I learned in class plus sharing much sage advice from his many years of tech and cave diving.

As far a getting the gear dialed in, they had me doing valve drills, air sharing, clipping and unclipping deco bottles and deploying reels and SMBs right from the get go and throughout each dive. And buoyancy? Yes, it was drilled and drilled and drilled and to be trying to set each deco stop with the other class mates whilst changing to my deco bottles at the correct depth, making the gas change on the computer and all the while hanging onto a reel with a deployed SMB? yep, def. challenging for this newbie tech diver.

All those drills drilled into me got me thinking about contingencies and emergency procedures during every dive since; what to do if this happens or if that happens to my partner etc. I really don't know if I will do much more serious tech diving or tech training beyond this point, but I do have to say that taking these classes took my skill set (especially buoyancy) to a much higher level and that has made me a much safer recreational diver. So huge props and thanks go out to Mel Clark (and Etienne Rousseau) for an incredible week that I will never forget the rest of my life. :notworthy:

Now I just need to continue to practise and get better at all the skills passed on to me! :partydance:

BTW- Also got Mel to do a rebreather demo with both a MEG and a REVO rebreather on different days squeezed into the already packed week, so I got a taste of bubble-less diving too! Whoo-hoo!

BTW-btw- Mel was an absolute hoot to hang with. She was a task master in class and everything had to be done right, but she was also very fair and fun to be around.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: I R a tech diver now (or some very intense days with Mel Clark!)

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounds like a great week! Congrats on surviving it!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Yea, I had Mels ART class on my GEM, I lost 10 pounds that week :)

Interesting you all went all the way to Crescent instead of using Lake Washington.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Congrats on your tech diver status! Though I didn't take mine with Mel, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it definitely made me a better diver for it.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Jeff Pack wrote:
Interesting you all went all the way to Crescent instead of using Lake Washington.
In all, we dove Muk for the check out & basics dive, then on to Cove 2 for a couple 90'-100' dives, then over to Lake Washington for the 130-140 dives. Lake Crescent was more the relaxed after class play day dives.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

spatman wrote:Congrats on your tech diver status! Though I didn't take mine with Mel, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it definitely made me a better diver for it.

Thanks Matt, and thanks for the sale on the AL80, it came in handy during training, they started me out with a single al40, then your single al80 and then two al40s!
Attachments
image.jpg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice job, did you have a NWDC buddy for class or someone from elsewhere?

Maybe I missed it but how much helium are you "allowed"?
I see the analysis tape but is the MOD for that al80 under your arm or?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Congrats and welcome to being broke

ha ha
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

McGlencoe wrote:
spatman wrote:Thanks Matt, and thanks for the sale on the AL80, it came in handy during training, they started me out with a single al40, then your single al80 and then two al40s!
Glad that tank is seeing some use other than being a doorstop in my basement!

and +1 to what Norris said!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

CaptnJack wrote:Nice job, did you have a NWDC buddy for class or someone from elsewhere?

It was a very eclectic class. At the beginning Etienne was my buddy, then we were joined by a couple rebreather divers who were getting refreshers from Mel, one of them, Ben Shiner is (iirc is scubaben here on the board) and he was my buddy for later class dives.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dived with Ben the other day, good guy
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

CaptnJack wrote:
I don't remember a helium allowed limit discussed, just an oxygen minimum, couldn't go below 21%; need to take the Normoxic Trimix class to get to 19% O2 and 200'. The only deciding factor to the amount of helium was planning the dives with an 80' END.

The MOD for the deco tanks were on the shoulder of the tank facing me marked on a big piece of duct tape in big digits. We would pull the top of the tank away, check MOD and then roll the tank shoulder to show dive buddy. Then pull reg, stretch it out and trace hose back to tank showing buddy, then stuff it into your mouth. Also had a small tape flag on the hose and on the reg stating both mix and/or mod as back up checks. No permanent decals on the tanks as the mix would change depending on fills and dive plans.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Norris wrote:Congrats and welcome to being broke ha ha
Thanks and it was waaaay more than I planned on, but worth every forking' penny.
Dived with Ben the other day, good guy
Yes, love the heck out of Ben, can't wait to dive with him again!

Though he is in for more punishment Mel style, he's headed for cave class with her in FL in the future…
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

McGlencoe wrote:
Norris wrote:Congrats and welcome to being broke ha ha
Thanks and it was waaaay more than I planned on, but worth every forking' penny.
Oh, the spending of the scuba units has just begun. Muahahaha!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Penopolypants wrote: Oh, the spending of the scuba units has just begun. Muahahaha!

Don't you put that evil on me triple P….. :laugh:

My biggest fear at this point is affording the helium to do more of these dives. :eek:

Next big expenditures will be a scooter and a RB, but those will be aways in the future.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

IANTD ART is 160ft limit, END of 80ft.

McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Jeff has it spot on.

Next step up in the IANTD realm is Normoxic Trimix with a 19% 02 limit & 200' depth limit and another 40 dives away (minimum).

Or

Start down the rebreather path, which is at least another year away to save up the jingle.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Used Megs are being had in the mid 4k range now, saw one setup at 4300, I almost got it myself for a backup :)

By the time you start figuring OC HE use, tanks, how often you dive, how deep and long you dive, etc, its a pretty attractive price.

Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

The OP wrote:
I really don't know if I will do much more serious tech diving or tech training beyond this point, but I do have to say that taking these classes took my skill set (especially buoyancy) to a much higher level and that has made me a much safer recreational diver.
To me, that is the key take away. Taking the class/getting the training to do "advanced" diving just makes diving so much more fun and safer [insert ironic symbol here -- sigh].